Considering this 98 Gen 2.5

OneTime

Adventurer
I looking at this 98 Gen 2.5 with 160,000 http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ctd/1321488998.html

I spoke with the owner/car salesmen on the phone. He said he picked it up at an auction and is using it at his personal vehicle. States "If it sells great, if not ill keep it for me" Im taking that with a huge grain of salt considering the source. He told me he got a great deal cause the milage scared everyone else away. Per the salesmen all the belts are new, unkown if the timing belt has been changed. He thinks it has been, Another grain of salt. Any way to find out? I have never used car fax before so I dont know what info it will give me. The price seems really good and I it's the model and color I am looking for. Owner also told me it has new (unkown brand) 31x10 ATs

From the pics it almost looks like it stands a little taller than stock. Nice and level too

What do I need to look for? Id like to get another 100,000 miles of highway, very light off road from it. Possible?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If this one has the winter package with locking rear dif stock from mitsu, then I say go for it. A friend recently bought one here in California (S.Cal) for about the same amount but with the Winter Package. Critical if you plan to wheel it on more than easy to moderate trails.

These are pretty capable in near stock form. Upgrade's I'd do include...
Minimum 33" tires (crank torsion bars up front)

My 96 is running 35's (required a 2" BL) & cranked torsion bars.

Aside from cosmetic / creature comfort upgrades I'll also be upgrading to 2.85:1 xcase gears and 4.9:1 R&P gears.

I may upgrade to a front ARB RD110 locker as well.

kevin

Observer
I would consider asking for a carfax report. Most dealers will provide them for free. If not get the vin number and run one yourself.

OneTime

Adventurer
A very freindly memeber on wire4x4 stopped by and checked it out for me. Here is his report:

Enjoy your new truck.

VIN # is JA4MR51R7WJ007638

Mileage is 164,058

Tires are Mesa A/P 31x10.5/15 Load Range C. They look almost brand new.

Dealer is The Car Mart, 9827 N. Cave Creek Rd.
Nick Impicciatore

He is using it as his daily driver and there is a loaded Charter Arms .44 in the map pocket on the side. Seems like a real nice guy, in any case. No fast talk, although he likes to talk. Knows something about the vehicle, but not as much as we do here, of course.

First off, I started it up and let it idle the whole time we talked, maybe 15 minutes. There was a little bit of oil smoke from the exhaust when I looked after about ten minutes. Just barely visible, but there was a breeze. The engine sounds really good and there were no leaks. The a/c was on the entire time and was blowing cold.

A previous owner has removed the fender flares and some adhesive tape residue was left. One of the in-bumper front fog lights is broken. The skid plates and general underside looked good, but it has been lightly off-roaded, nothing major. There's a trailer hitch and wiring on the back. Paint looks good; needs to be polished some, but that's about it. All panels are straight with no dents/scratches that I could see/remember.

Interior is as you'd expect for this age. The carpets could use to be cleaned some. Driver's seat shows wear (leather). Aftermarket stereo head unit is missing the faceplate, but the speakers appear to have been replaced with aftermarket. The factory ten disc changer is installed in the back, as are the third row seats. The driver's power seat functions except for the fore and aft movement.

The ABS light was on. The voltmeter read low, under 12 volts, but the truck functioned well, and I doubt the guage is reading correctly. Dealer said he metered the output at 14 volts with a handheld.

Holding your breath for this part? It has the rear locker and it works, at least it did when I put it in low range and hit the switch. The compressor shuts off after it locks. It has heated seats and headlight washers.

That's about all I can tell you. He has a lift and offered to put it up. I did not drive it, so I don't know about the front end. No leaks. Underhood looks clean, as it should, since he picked it up at auction.

We didn't talk money and I didn't let on that I knew who you are, I just said I saw it on Craigslist.

I dunno, if that price sounds good, I'd see if he'd include the tax and take it. See what anybody else says here, check the CarFax (any help on here for this?) and take it for a ride then rack it to check the suspension/steering/underside.

Valve seals will need to be done before too long. No proof of timing belt replacement. Needs new stereo head unit, and he says it sounds like a marble is rolling around in one of the rear speaker areas. ABS...maybe a bad wheel sensor, who knows, have to pull codes on that.

Go check it out!

John B.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the ABS light?

78Bronco

Explorer
Apparently its possible to f'up the ABS system if you force the calipper piston back while performing a brake service. The procedure is to break the bleed screw open and push the piston back so not to damage anything up the line.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I would buy it. You better snatch this one up before the middle of the month. I'm getting a fairly large cash payout in the middle of September, and if you don't buy this I'll be tempted to do so. Not that I need another truck, but that one sure does look nice. All of the problems appear to be minor to me, with the exception of the timing belt.

OneTime

Adventurer
I would buy it. You better snatch this one up before the middle of the month. I'm getting a fairly large cash payout in the middle of September, and if you don't buy this I'll be tempted to do so. Not that I need another truck, but that one sure does look nice. All of the problems appear to be minor to me, with the exception of the timing belt.

I was kinda worried about posting this up for fear someone might jump right on it. This one kinda fell thru the cracks, I just happen to see it. If I pull the trigger it will be later this week. The holiday, school and work have me tied up pretty much all week.

Does anyone know I shop in Phoenix that can handle the timing belt, plugs and waterpump and what I could expect to pay for parts and labor?

Is the 98 an interference engine?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94