Considering a Toyota Tundra to Haul an XploreRV XR22

Miles_Sisu

Hello, first post ever.

So I am considering getting a 2021 Tundra to haul an XR22. Is this a good idea? The camper spec says the max GVWR is 8820 lbs, with dry weight at 5200. A Tundra can tow 8,800 to 10,200 pounds depending on the package. This seems like it is cutting it close. I have not towed anything like this with a personally owned vehicle before.

Apologies in advance if this is a noob question.

bkg

Explorer
Hello, first post ever.

So I am considering getting a 2021 Tundra to haul an XR22. Is this a good idea? The camper spec says the max GVWR is 8820 lbs, with dry weight at 5200. A Tundra can tow 8,800 to 10,200 pounds depending on the package. This seems like it is cutting it close. I have not towed anything like this with a personally owned vehicle before.

you'll get a lot of answers... and all will be different.

Personally, I agree that you're cutting it close, especially after loading up truck and camper.

Even if it "can," I'm not sure that I "would."

Towing my xtracab with my 2015 Tundra was much more work than towing it with my f350. Doable? Yup... pleasant? Not as much.

nickw

Adventurer
Hello, first post ever.

Forget towing weight, limiter is typically payload capacity. Tundra payload looks to be in the 1200 - 1400 range, lets call it 1300 and trailer is lets call it 7000, with a 10% - 15% on tongue, lets average it at 12%, so you are 850 lbs into your payload. Two adults and gear is 400 - 600 lbs easy, which maxes out payload. Your call on how close you want to cut it, many guys are WAY overloaded on this site....you are probably better off with a 3/4t, IMO

I would have no problem towing a 7k lb trailer with my Tundra CrewMax. At a trailer weight of 5k lbs and above, the manual recommends a weight distributing hitch. Get some decent E load tires, and you’re good to go. Just don’t overload the truck so you can stay within your payload ratings.

This guy tows an Airstream of a similar weight and shares his setup for stable towing: https://www.tundras.com/threads/my-tundra-mods-for-stable-towing.84197/#post-2124480

Will an HD truck pull it better? Sure. But my truck is my daily driver. I’d rather stick with a reliable platform like the Tundra and just go with trailers that’ll work with it. But that’s because I spend a lot more time not towing.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Forget towing weight, limiter is typically payload capacity. Tundra payload looks to be in the 1200 - 1400 range, lets call it 1300 and trailer is lets call it 7000, with a 10% - 15% on tongue, lets average it at 12%, so you are 850 lbs into your payload. Two adults and gear is 400 - 600 lbs easy, which maxes out payload. Your call on how close you want to cut it, many guys are WAY overloaded on this site....you are probably better off with a 3/4t, IMO
Exactly. Too many people focus on the the weight of what is being towed and don't take into account payload.

That being said if you are set on a Tundra and aren't in a hurry maybe the upcoming 2022 will offer more payload?

You mentioned you also considered an F250. If you are open to Fords and want to stick with a 1/2 ton maybe a f150 with the payload and max tow package could work for you?

Note: The payload package is only available on the XLT 300a or 301a packages and requires either a 6.5' or 8' bed.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type

This is an excellent point and everyone looking for a truck, epically for outdoors activities which involves a degree of off-roading, MUST keep in mind.
This is shocking to some people when they look at the giant size of Tundra or F-150 and realize there is not much left after 4 adults, 4 bikes, 2 dogs and backpacks + supplies.

If you are not in super rush, wait and see what the new Tundra offers you. If in that's not the option move on to the HD trucks.

D

Deleted member 13060

Don't forget Fuel. What's in the tank is part of the payload. 38 gallons of gas is another 275ish lbs off the payload number.

rruff

Explorer
That being said if you are set on a Tundra and aren't in a hurry maybe the upcoming 2022 will offer more payload?

Won't be enough to matter. It'll be a 1/2 ton tuned for empty street use.

But I wouldn't worry about being over GVWR a reasonable amount either, so long as you beef up the tires and suspension.

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Miles_Sisu,

We can run rough numbers and draw some conclusions…
  • Tundra Payload: 1450lbs
  • 2 Occupants: 360
  • Luggage: 50
  • Vehicle Mods & Accessories: 150
  • Additional Gear Allowance: 100
* Remaining Payload / Tongue Weight Allowance: 790lbs
  • XR22 dry weight: 5200
  • Tongue weight: 425
  • Propane & 80lbs of batteries = 500 tongue
  • Fresh Water, 30 gals: 250lbs (~15% transferred to truck = 535 tongue)
  • Food & Beer: 30
  • Luggage & Furnishings: 150
  • Additional Gear & Toy Allowance: 500!
*Total Trailer Weight: 6650lbs

*Total Tongue Weight at 10%: 650lbs

*Remaining Truck Payload: 140lbs

The math indicates that even with the lowest available towing capacity of 8800lbs you can load up that trailer with a lot of cargo and still be below all the maximum rated capacities.

Its my opinion that factory rated capacities represent the maximum prescribed capacities as agreed upon between the engineering, legal & marketing departments. There is an enormous safety margin built into these truck's ratings and as a platform they’re capable of safely and reliably performing well above their published ratings.

For example: just adding springs to an otherwise stock truck in Australia can increase payload by 20-30%, as certified by federally licensed engineers. Further anecdotal evidence supporting my claim are all of the fully built and laden rigs featured here and other websites that are grossly overloaded yet travel great distances with superb track records for reliability and road safety, albiet with suspension & tires upgraded to match the mission.

This is to say that loading a Tundra up to it’s maximum factory rating isn’t “cutting it close” in any practical sense what-so-ever assuming your load distribution, hitch, ride height, trailer brakes and driving habits are all configured appropriately.

What the truck can do, what it should do and what it's rated to do are very much subject to your perspective on math, insurance liability, fuel economy, passing power and "peace of mind". As per Toyota’s R&D the 5.7L Tundra is plenty. But is it future proof for you?

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Does range between fuel stops matter? Thats were the Tundra falls flat on its face especially if your dragging a box thats up past the 80% max load rating. Yes it will drag 10,000 lbs but it only does 5-6mpg doing it. So beyond the load numbers look at fuel capacity and mileage performance with a box in that weight range?.
My only interest in a larger camp trailer is pop top low roof road mode like say Taxa Mantis given my heavy tow pack Expedition will do 14-15mpg going anywhere with it. Currently my 4x6 I do 20-21mpg going anywhere with it which is actually better than my Subaru ??.

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Does range between fuel stops matter? Thats were the Tundra falls flat on its face especially if your dragging a box thats up past the 80% max load rating. Yes it will drag 10,000 lbs but it only does 5-6mpg doing it. So beyond the load numbers look at fuel capacity and mileage performance with a box in that weight range?.
My only interest in a larger camp trailer is pop top low roof road mode like say Taxa Mantis given my heavy tow pack Expedition will do 14-15mpg going anywhere with it. Currently my 4x6 I do 20-21mpg going anywhere with it which is actually better than my Subaru ??.

Here in mountainous pacific northwest and adjacent states my brother hand calculated 9mpg average towing a 27' overall length, 8' wide, 7000lbs loaded travel trailer with his 2020 5.7L Tundra. Same mpg's calculated in his 5.7L Sequioa. Seems to be par for the coarse with that drivetrain, as well as most other gasoline V8 trucks for that matter. Agreed, frequent fuel stops is a primary drawback of towing in general. Tundra is available with a 38 gallon tank which* might* be a small consolation...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles