Considering a new Taco, but I have a few questions and am looking for advice...

Big_Geek

Drop Bear
We sound similar. I'm running ICON Stg 4 suspension front and rear with the TRD supercharger on a 2012 4wd 6spd truck. Supercharger is great if you have access to 93+ octane fuel, which is all I've been running in any of our vehicles anyway, and is readily available now nearly everywhere (yes, even East Africa) - I know, there are still places without 93+, but many fewer than 10 years ago. Cost of the supercharger is reasonable, in my view, when you look at the fact that it's now been proven over the course of a decade that the 1GR-FE can take the extra stress.

I put a smaller muffler on and ran a side outlet exhaust, I didn't see the point of having an exhaust pipe go up and over the rear axle just to exit. I really like the fact that this cut a bunch of weight and potential for a long exhaust system to bounce around on a truck that is mostly used off-road. The system is no louder than stock, which is also nice.

Thank you for the information! I was hoping to hear from someone with a similar setup to the one I'm considering. 93+ octane fuel should not be a problem anywhere I will be traveling, but I appreciate your bringing it up as a consideration. I don't think the exhaust mod you made would pass muster here.

Area52

Adventurer
I'm just finishing up an install on my 2012 double cab of light racing UCAs, OME 886 and Dakars in the back, due to the increased weight added through new bumpers, winch, bed rack, under armor, etc.

I also plan on keeping the engine stock.

It's too early to tell how well all this will function, but I did a lot of homework, electing to use proven performing components with an additional consideration of simple design.

Good luck,

Jim

Containerized

Adventurer
<<
I don't think the exhaust mod you made would pass muster here.
>>

Really? It's long behind the cat (so doesn't affect emissions) and is the same noise level as stock. Not sure what kind of inspection you have in your area, but I'm sure it would pass. These vehicles are extremely low-emission vehicles to start with, so you have to do something really drastic (removing the catalytic converters, for instance) to make them fail emissions.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Would any of you guys ever consider the 4cylinder? They seem to be decently better on fuel, and i have nothing huge to tow, and if i did... Thats what the f250 is for. Pros and cons?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Unless you plan on running the truck hard and high speed off road then the icon is overkill IMO. An OME or toytec setup would do great at everything else and is much better than stock. I would also forget the TRD stuff, again unless your a high speed guy. If I wanted to go fast in a truck offroad I would be shopping for a raptor.

Clutch

<---Pass
Would any of you guys ever consider the 4cylinder? They seem to be decently better on fuel, and i have nothing huge to tow, and if i did... Thats what the f250 is for. Pros and cons?

I would do a 4 cylinder if it was 2WD 5 lug (and left stock), otherwise with 4WD the fuel economy is roughly the same as the V6, would rather have more power with the nearly the same fuel economy, plus you don't have to ring it's neck to get any power out of it. I have been driving underpowered Toyotas for 25 some odd years now, while reliable...I am always wanting more power, but that is just me. Thinking a Tundra is next on the list.

Last edited:

achampagne

Explorer
I am really unhappy with my 08 Dblcab TRD, electrical issues, Back pain from the seats, arm rests and center console leave pain in both arms, much worse mileage than expected, poor experience with local dealer and Toyota customer service, the TSB for the rear leafs I can't get honored being a 1k over my extended warranty. I have been a rover guy and should have stayed with the brand. There are a lot if issues you can cover quickly on the 2nd gen taco on Tacoma world just under the sticky's from the 2nd gen part of the forum kind of a cliff notes for issues that many people are having. Not being a hardcore Toyota guy it's hard for me to get past these things and love the truck.

downhill

Adventurer
I am really unhappy with my 08 Dblcab TRD, electrical issues, Back pain from the seats, arm rests and center console leave pain in both arms, much worse mileage than expected, poor experience with local dealer and Toyota customer service, the TSB for the rear leafs I can't get honored being a 1k over my extended warranty. I have been a rover guy and should have stayed with the brand. There are a lot if issues you can cover quickly on the 2nd gen taco on Tacoma world just under the sticky's from the 2nd gen part of the forum kind of a cliff notes for issues that many people are having. Not being a hardcore Toyota guy it's hard for me to get past these things and love the truck.

It has taken me a long time and many thousands of dollars to warm up to my truck. It is my first Toyota, and I have had many dissapointments as well. It's bad enough that a "truck" does not come with bumpers, but then adding decent bumpers requires replacing virtually the entire suspension. The situation with the rear springs is completely unacceptable. I think any buyer would be wise to research the common issues and understand the full price of having the truck you want (in some cases the truck you thought you were getting).

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't know how much power you think you need, but I can say that my 2012 Tacoma hauled me, my wife, two dogs and 800 lbs of gear to, through, around, and over, and from the Badlands and Black Hills with ease.

I've never been in a situation where I desired more power than was available. And my truck is pretty much stock.

Abosolutely nothing you can bolt onto the 4.0 will increase MPG, and most of it will decrease power as well. Neither the intake nor the exhaust are limiters on this engine. The supercharger might be something I would consider if I spent a lot of time at high altitude. For me, even with all the towing I do, the 4.0 is plenty. The best thing you can do is run a good stock air filter in the stock intake. Don't waste your money here on "upgrades'. A snorkel is fine if you want/need one.

I have a 4runner, not a Taco, but with the same 4.0 VVTI engine and I have to agree with both of the above. "Underpowered" certainly may apply to the 1st gen Taco with the 3.4 (although I never felt my '04 was underpowered - I think the 5 speed helped a lot with the perception of usable power) but the 4.0 is a strong engine. As for the tranny, as much as I hate to admit it (and I do!) the auto will give you better MPG than the stick - not sure why this is, maybe it has something to do with the gear ratios in the tranny or the rear end, but I can tell you my 4.0/auto 4runner has been returning some amazing MPG for such a large vehicle.

In fact, I just got in last night from New Mexico (Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta!) and my MPG for the return trip was a little over 19mpg as indicated on my Scangauge II (which I keep calibrated so it's pretty accurate.) Not too shabby when you consider that I was pulling this:

2012_0116_133237AA.jpg

...which weighs in at about 1200lbs. I was also carrying about half the camping gear we normally carry (we didn't plan on cooking out while we were there.)

So, I think you should probably drive a couple of Tacos before you decide to start mucking with the engine. IMO that $$ could be better spent on things that will give you more benefit like suspension, tires, winch, topper, etc.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I am really unhappy with my 08 Dblcab TRD, electrical issues, Back pain from the seats, arm rests and center console leave pain in both arms, much worse mileage than expected, poor experience with local dealer and Toyota customer service, the TSB for the rear leafs I can't get honored being a 1k over my extended warranty. ......

What electrical issues?
What is your MPG (city/Highway)? And what were you expecting?
The arm rests hurt your arms?? How is that possible?

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a 4runner, not a Taco, but with the same 4.0 VVTI engine and I have to agree with both of the above. "Underpowered" certainly may apply to the 1st gen Taco with the 3.4 (although I never felt my '04 was underpowered - I think the 5 speed helped a lot with the perception of usable power) but the 4.0 is a strong engine

I feel the 4.0 is underpowered. It would of been great in the 1st Gen Taco, the 2nd gen got a little heavy when they increased the size. You start loading(1320lbs)/towing (6400lbs) it near capacity (or even half of that) the lack of power really shows. Always thought the Tacoma should have a V8 option. The 1UR-FSE would be a very nice option...It would get nearly the same mpg as the 4.0 to boot :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

achampagne

Explorer
P0500 code, it was a mix of speed sensor and ABS, killed everything in my truck, nothing worked, went into limp mode. It took over a week to get it sorted out, but it wasn't even driveable. The arms rests are super firm, not comfy at all. I was expecting about 20 mpg on the hwy and 18 mpg around town, the only thing I have done to my truck really is add a ARE topper, I drive like there is a egg under the gas pedal and never get anything near those numbers. The truck is well kept on maintenance and tire pressure checked once a week and rotated every oil change. I notice today I am getting the front end shake everyone else is complaining about.

Last edited:

achampagne

Explorer
It has taken me a long time and many thousands of dollars to warm up to my truck. It is my first Toyota, and I have had many dissapointments as well. It's bad enough that a "truck" does not come with bumpers, but then adding decent bumpers requires replacing virtually the entire suspension. The situation with the rear springs is completely unacceptable. I think any buyer would be wise to research the common issues and understand the full price of having the truck you want (in some cases the truck you thought you were getting).

Perfectly said!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles