Considering a new Taco, but I have a few questions and am looking for advice...

J4RR

Observer
This is my second Tacoma, both with Zero issues. First one made it to 110k before I sold it, my 07 is at 78k no problems and I have beat this one on and offroad quite a bit, its a champ!
Do the suspension right the first time, I was lucky enought to ride in other Tacomas with OME and toytech lifts and clearly the Icons were 3x better in ride quality on and offroad!

downhill

Adventurer
Thank you all for the information - It has been very helpful in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of this vehicle compared with how I would utilize it.

I won't bore you with my thought process, but I have decided to buy the truck with the cat-back exhaust. I'll have them throw the original exhaust system into the bed so I can change it out if I don't like it.

Once I take possession, I intend to drive it a bit, make a list of squawks regarding ride/capability, research solutions to meet my needs, and build from there.

Thank you all again for your advice.

Best of luck. Don't worry about boring us. Most of us are here because we are bored :sombrero:

Big_Geek

Drop Bear
Best of luck. Don't worry about boring us. Most of us are here because we are bored :sombrero:

Ha! Well, you asked for it...

1. I don't tow. I had a pop-up camper, but recently sold it. I have a small trailer that I move about my yard or drive a few blocks to the landscaping supply company.
2. I don't haul cargo in the bed of my truck. I use it about once per year to haul something like mulch. The trailer mentioned above will work very well for this as often as I need to use it.
3. I don't want a race truck - I want better fuel mileage.
4. I want a reliable daily driver as this will be the primary function of this truck.
5. I want my wife and son to be able to ride along (thus the double cab).
6. I want a camp-ready vehicle. I had considered a $portsmobile or VW Westfalia (reliability issues), but quickly ruled them out. I am starting to make the pitch to add a Flippac assuming it will work with all of the options (Entune) that are on the truck.
7. I had narrowed it down to a Rubicon or the TRD Tacoma. Several of my friends have Wranglers and complain about how often they require work after about 7 years. I'm hoping for a longer life than that.
8. I had also looked at all of the other SUV-like vehicles. Everything that I liked was over $55K. Retail price on this truck was around $35K with everything I wanted. Negotiations have me far and away below that price.
9. I want to be able to drive in my back yard when it turns to swamp. I used to use my Cherokee for this (when it was running) and I miss having that capability (thus the 4WD).
10. I want a locker installed by the factory. I wish the Tacoma had one in the front as well, but oh well. I WILL use this when I am in the National Forest.
11. I rode along in the 1st generation Tacoma a few years back at the Expo Trophy and was really impressed with its capability.
12. I have had several Toyota vehicles (4 of the five new vehicles my wife and I have purchased) and have had really good luck with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94