Considering a F550 with singles

Alloy

For a few reasons we've been thinking about buying a new F550 to replace our F350 SRW that is used to pull a 5th wheel trailer.

In the winter the 2,500lbs pin weight over the back axle makes the SRW a great tow vehicle in the snow. We can pull the trailer through 12" deep snow and there is very little sliding when stop on ice/compact snow.

Based on the winter performance of the SWR we are considering 42" singles on the F550 along with Kelderman suspension.

Tread width of 19.5" dual tires is 17 /34" while a single is 13" wide

It would be great to hear your comments

Thanks you

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
For a few reasons we've been thinking about buying a new F550 to replace our F350 SRW that is used to pull a 5th wheel trailer.

In the winter the 2,500lbs pin weight over the back axle makes the SRW a great tow vehicle in the snow. We can pull the trailer through 12" deep snow and there is very little sliding when stop on ice/compact snow.

Based on the winter performance of the SWR we are considering 42" singles on the F550 along with Kelderman suspension.

Tread width of 19.5" dual tires is 17 /34" while a single is 13" wide

It would be great to hear your comments

Thanks you

I assume your considering the Continental MPT81's. What wheels you looking at? The kelderman is pretty rad, lots of moving/electric parts with their auto ride height system. I'd probably do the more basic settup, for simplicity sake.

I've been looking for a ram 4500 and probably the backstop conversion. Then semi-permanetly our hard side truck camper. Just haven't found the right truck for the right price.

-Chris

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The only acceptable option is DBL Design wheels. They make a large majority of the wheels for 450/4500 and up vehicles and a portion for certain military and other armored vehicles as well (think Skeeter, Armored vehicles, Expedition Campers). Nice people and a solid Texas company as well.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i would avoid the 19.5" wheels as they do not have a safety bead. Go to a full 20" rim so you can use military tires. This also sets you up to use Hutchinson HEMTT double beadlocks too

Explorerinil

Observer
My next truck is exactly what you are doing, but not in a ford and not running kelderman. Look at buckstop bumpers, I think they have some SRW options for that platform. Stazworks is another wheel option, stick with 20’s and run military style tires like mentioned above.

Alloy

Thank you for the replies.

Right now DBL would be our first choice.

We may start with the singles and add Kelderman later.

There is not much risk of wearing things out. In 3 years we've put 19,000 miles on the F350.

One of the decision that has to be made concerns the 4.88 gears in the F550. The 2019 F550 is 110hp and 110ft-lb less than the 2016 F350 that has 3.55 gears.
The F350 would tow a little better with 3.73 gears. Using 42" tires with 4.88 gears would make the ratio close to 3.80 which is good for fuel economy but not for power. The two options I know of are swapping out the 4.88 gears or plugging in more horsepower. With the amount of towing we do something like 5.00 - 5.50 gears with the 42" tires seems to be a good fuel / power split.

Is there such a thing as a dual ratio (split) differential for a F550?

Buying the equipment is a consideration but more than likely I'll fabricate the hauler body, bumper and rack.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
dont forget that the 6 speed has a double overdrive, and you still have gobs and gobs of torque. The reason why Ford derates the Power Stroke in F550's is because of commercial application and ensuring that the engines can live through their advertised lifespan living a life of 100% load all the time with questionable maintenance.

i think 4.88's with 41 or 42" tires would be plenty, especially if you put the F250/350 tune back on the engine. Your rear axle is a Dana 130 right? You should have a Super60 in the front, which has gear ratios up through 5.38

TexasSixSeven

Observer
You could always buy a F-450 pickup (not cab and chassis), and start from there. You’ll have the larger turbo and 450 HP tune from the factory. I can’t really see the benefit of the 550 over the 450 in your scenario. I’d think either would be more than adequate. Of course you’ll only get 4.30 gears with it, but if you’re looking at a re-gear in the 550 anyways that’s a moot point.

Here’s a 450 that’s been single wheel converted 9E5D561A-D7DD-495B-9639-4CECF04F8279.jpeg

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You could always buy a F-450 pickup (not cab and chassis), and start from there. You’ll have the larger turbo and 450 HP tune from the factory. I can’t really see the benefit of the 550 over the 450 in your scenario. I’d think either would be more than adequate. Of course you’ll only get 4.30 gears with it, but if you’re looking at a re-gear in the 550 anyways that’s a moot point.

Here’s a 450 that’s been single wheel converted View attachment 486878

This is awesome.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
its also worth noting that the Detroit Auto show is January 14th, and Ford is supposed to be showing off the face lifted Super Duty's with the new 10 speed HD transmission behind the power stroke

arielmiller

its also worth noting that the Detroit Auto show is January 14th, and Ford is supposed to be showing off the face lifted Super Duty's with the new 10 speed HD transmission behind the power stroke

Is that really when ford is debuting the new ford? Ram is also going to reveal the "refreshed" ram HD at the detroit show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles