Conqueror feedback

MojoRisen

Just a quick question about the ownership of used Conqueror trailers. I have had an interest in purchasing one for the last 2 years, but am concerned about the upkeep of the 440/490. Lack of parts and support. As of late everything that is Conqueror oriented on the big WWW has been quashed or removed. I have the ability to wrench and remove and add components but am wondering if anyone/owner has run into any problems that can't be replaced by another part not company oriented? Thanks for any input that you may have that is Conqueror oriented. I really appreciate the feedback on the 440/490.

O.R.C.A.

Observer
I was too / still am looking at buying a 490. I have the same issues and concerns. I have talked a great deal to the gentleman who was importing these to the US. He stopped working with them and importing them for same reason. He said it was a lack of them standing behind and or fixing/ servicing units sold. I don’t mind doing the work my self and sometimes prefer it. But lack of being able to get replacement parts is another issue all together. But at the same time I have a lot of ideas on how to make the trailer better and if / when I get one I plan on sharing info on the world wide webs.

amenges45

I would not hesitate. Simply constructed and rugged. Easy to work on. We love ours... All that being said I'm a pretty good mechanic and can fabricate some stuff myself. If you're not handy or somewhat mechanically inclined I don't think any of the trailers built by anyone are really worth looking into. They all need some measure of fixing from time to time. Huge amount of resources on the internet to help you should to get stuck on fixing something especially the conqueror Australia site.

a5trics

I have not had any major issues with my 440. Have had it for 2 years with relative heavy use. Minor stuff will always happen when you go off-road, and you should not rely on quick replacement parts from any manufacturer. Instead, quick fixes first then later proper replacements from any source. On-line resources are plentiful

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
MojoRIsen - I owned the first ever Conqueror Commander in the US. It was a non-us-spec trailer. I owned it for 4 years with little issues (had a Conqueror Conquest before that).
I was able to make the 220 Euro spec electronics work with a step down transformer (cheap and went through two in 4 years). And was able to convert the trailer lights fairly easily.
If you are looking at one that was US spec, it'll even be easier to maintain.

As we've grown older, someone out in MOAB wanted my trailer, and we purchased an Airstream. We Glamp now!

MojoRisen

Our current glamper, 63, and the 46 Airstream that under current work. One is going so that I can get the 440 for the dirt. Appreciate the input. I am continuing to look and wait until the 46 is DUN!

Attachments

• C0C386B4-8520-4FF1-8E6E-5890050DC097.jpeg
    C0C386B4-8520-4FF1-8E6E-5890050DC097.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 144
  • 31D9EB88-9F10-418C-B982-7DFF4DBC2AEC.jpeg
    31D9EB88-9F10-418C-B982-7DFF4DBC2AEC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 146

TSnider

I recently got a 490 and support can be an issue. The electrical system for the lights and stuff is pretty cool, but that whole system isnt exactly user friendly if you need to work on it. Tough Touring Australia has sold me awning mounts and might be supplying me a few minor parts my trailer didnt have from the factory that I want to add to it. But they are rugged and tough, and I wouldnt be suprised if someone starts importing them again.

I have a short to ground happening in my trailer somewhere that is causing me grief, and I know 12v electrical pretty well. I think the controls have an internal problem so I plan to update that to a REDARC system in the near future, so at least that entire side has some support behind it.

Aside from that they are rivets, nuts and bolts.

g.tiwana

Looking at 490 myself, how do these fare on offroad, apart from the dirt/forest roads. Like trails out in west. That is the part which is holding me back, that apart from forest/service roads & trailers how do they do.

gendlert

I played with one for a couple weeks last fall in AZ. Conqueror is coming back to the US with a new owner in Mesa, AZ. Roll-out of updated models coming soon.

As for the offroad-worthiness, they're legit. Basically, anywhere you're willing to tow it, it'll go. The air bag suspension I had on the model I field tested was a lot of fun, and because of that I'd buy that upgrade every time it was offered on my future trailer purchases. Makes for plenty of clearance and super simple campsite leveling. I have a RAM 1500 Rebel and it towed VERY nicely, on and off-road. It's built to make the forest road washboard towing super simple without wearing the trailer down with repeated chattering, and on the more challenging terrain, the low center of gravity of the pop top and water tank position made it confidence inspiring over the rocks. Overbuilt underneath, even if you scrape stuff, it would be tough to do real damage to the trailer. I'm attaching a few pics. I didn't do any rock crawling with it (I'm not equipped for crawling with my truck yet, anyway; still a work in progress), but the trailer tracks SO nicely with the truck, that more aggressive trails would be very doable. Obviously you don't want to do anything stupid with a 15 ft. 3700 lbs. (loaded with gear and water) trailer attached to your tow vehicle, but anything within reason could be attempted without fear of the trailer failing you. It'll get some scratches if you take it through tight passages, but it'll hold up. I'm not afraid of a little pinstriping on my equipment, though.

All that being said, I don't own one, and it wasn't the trailer for us, but none of those reasons have anything to do with the toughness of the trailer. That side of it is unparalleled. You could argue other brands are made equally as well, but it would be tough to say they're built better.

In front of the house, on the pavement, where it doesn't belong. You can see that the breakover angle of the trailer is actually better than the truck on its own (again, stock Rebel), and the suspension and rock guards are just as beefy. Note that the near wheels are on my curb, so it looks a little less level than it actually was when we hooked it up.

PXL_20201124_223243072.jpg

Here's the Viair onboard compressor for the air ride. That thing was legit. It's now a mandatory upgrade for all future trailers for me.

PXL_20201124_230723975.MP.jpg

We actually took it to a campground for a weekend to play with it and set it up the first time before getting it offroad. I know, pavement pics are lame. We loved the awnings once set up, but my wife (pictured; the one with two legs) said there was no way she could have set them up on her own. She wasn't tall enough. I'm 6'3" and could easily get it done myself, though. Took about 10-12 mins to get both sides up and posts adjusted. So. Much. Shade. It was chilly (Thanksgiving weekend), so Perry chose the sun anyway.

PXL_20201127_170511594.jpg

Rutty dirt roads were no challenge. I didn't own the trailer, so I didn't go nuts, but you could tell the Conqueror would follow me anywhere.

PXL_20201205_175754187.jpg

The 360* awning makes for an awesome basecamp. The solar panels kept me at full charge the whole weekend, though it was cooler, so the fridge wasn't working too hard.

PXL_20201205_191116411.jpg

We didn't really need it, but we wanted to set up the walls on one side just to see how much of a pain it was, and I gotta say, it wasn't that bad. First time doing it without any instructions took us about 30 mins to get it all set up. I wouldn't do it again for an overnighter or a weekend trip, but if you were gonna be somewhere for a few days around others (think opening weekend of hunting season; I don't hunt, but the use case is real), then taking the time to put up the walls would be worth it. Took about 20 mins to take down and fold everything up. Nice feature: all the walls are square, making folding them and putting them back in the duffels quite easy with two people. We also didn't spend a ton of time adjusting to make everything look pretty.

PXL_20201205_201351391.jpg

PXL_20201205_201425909.jpg

g.tiwana

Thank you for sharing your experience and the lovely pictures! It looks so good, especially with the new style of 360 degree awnings. I loved the Air bag suspension upgrade.

Srandall

I have not had any major issues with my 440. Have had it for 2 years with relative heavy use. Minor stuff will always happen when you go off-road, and you should not rely on quick replacement parts from any manufacturer. Instead, quick fixes first then later proper replacements from any source. On-line resources are plentiful

I second this post. I have had mine for a little over a year now with pretty heavy use. No issues at all. You have to understand that there is none like these trailers. It rugged design along with its independent suspension makes it the most reliable and tough camper on the market. I would not hesitate to pick up another when I am able to.

GHT

Thanks for sharing.....trying to decide between this and a mission overland summit - its about 20k more. I felt the quality of the awnings didnt look as nice as some that are available, but it appears pretty good! What is the heating system for Water and the inside of camper? Diesel or Propane? Also are the two propane tanks in the storage or have to be added?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles