Conqueror Compact trip AL to ME

chips95

Observer
Sorry for the new thread, just hoping to get some ideas from my fellow Conqueror owners, as the title says me the wife and the two dogs are planning a round trip from Alabama to Maine, with a total of 36 days off work not sure if I'll use it all but we will see, plan on leaving around the 22nd of May. So a few questions to start off with, what fridge seems to fit the Compact the best, Im thinking the Engel 45 really need an answer to this one so I can go ahead and place the order to have it here before our departure. Also looking at spare parts for the trailer ( I've already gone through all the hardware on the trailer as well as the wheel bearings and everything has checked out). And finally would like to do a little exploration with some fellow owners on the trip up, so let me know if your game we are pretty flexible. We have done a few trips with the trailer so far but nothing this far from sweet home Alabama so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old_FJ_Guy

Observer
You are going to love Maine. I lived outside Kittery for several years as a kid and loved it there. I have been back to the Bar Harbor area several times and that's a great area to see. We did a sea kayak trip to do some whale and puffin watching from there. Head up to the top of Cadillac Mountain while there, highest point on the east coast. Lots of great scenery and wonderful people. If you get time, head into Vermont and check out the Orvis headquarters. Amazing place and the little town next to it is classic! The Battenkill river is a must see if you like fly fishing. You can hire a guide for a day and have a ball. Have a great trip and enjoy that new trailer.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
what's your route?

I just dragged mine from western NY to the Outer Banks and back. If you did the bolts and checked the bearings, I don't think you need anymore spare parts. I did carry a couple of the hitch bolts just as a back-up. If you pulled your bearings and know what size/number, it never hurts to have a spare set of them either (I don't yet)

If you are thinking of getting near Niagara Falls let me know...
Otherwise have a great trip, Maine is one of those cool spots to be in. PS bring bug spray and even head nets if the black flies have hatched.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
... just hoping to get some ideas from my fellow Conqueror owners... would like to do a little exploration with some fellow owners on the trip up...
We've got an Edgestar 43 in back; I modified the shelf to fit it and put a shelf above (modified [badly] three times so far).
100_2495.jpg

I put the tag on hinges to get to the poles:
PoleBoxAccess.jpg

Deploy a tarp under the tent to keep it clean:
100_2589.jpg

Bring wine; wine makes you smarter, better looking, & food tastes better:
100_2349.jpg

The tarp works well in the rain but some will seep through the seams. Then it rolls down and gets to the seams above the rear window and seeps through and drips on your bed. Use a liberal amount of goo or seam-sealer to cover that seam above the rear window.
100_2802.jpg

We'll be at Devil's Fork State Park off of SC-11 from May 25-31 if you want to pop in. It has electric/water/potties/showers and sits on a big lake; great place to recharge your battery and get a proper shower.
We'll be in RV site #1 if anybody wants to join us for a while.

Have a good trip; sounds like fun.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
You'll be getting to Maine just about when the weather gets good! I hope you'll take the time to get up to Baxter State Park and Mt. Katahdin as well as Bar Harbor, Schoodic Point, Camden, and of course, Portland (my home town). You'll also have to take some time to see Vermont and upstate NY. Sounds like a great trip!

Spence

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You'll be getting to Maine just about when the weather gets good! ... as well as Bar Harbor,
Spence
Spence,
We went to Bah Habbah 4 years ago in May by motorcycle; it was 33 degrees but at least it was rainy...
Best to prepare for any sort of weather up there in late May, right?
We came down from the Niagra Escarpment and around Lake Ontario, around the Thousand Islands, by Lake George and Champlain, and through VT and NH.
:bike_rider:

Here's a pic on the ferry over Champlain with ole Mikey along side me; it was only about 40 degrees here:
eBillandMikeyandShadowfaxandSilverBulletonferryoverLakeChamplaign04.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Weather in May can be tricky for sure. I can't remember back 4 days ago let alone 4 years, but 33 degrees sounds unseasonably chilly. Best to plan for high 30's/low 40's in the morning before the sun comes up and mid 60's to 70's during the day. May does bring quite a bit of rain with it so come prepared. Luckly we have a saying in Maine which holds true over and over...."If you don't like the weather just wait a minute". Can't beat it up here in June-September though...70's and 80's without much humidity. If its too hot for you, go toward the coast. If its too cool, head inland more. Works great.

Spence

TimS

Adventurer
If you need a place for a night or two, I live in Wells maine. Very close to the beach. Plenty of space. Have fun with your trip.

TheOne

We've got an Edgestar 43 in back; I modified the shelf to fit it and put a shelf above (modified [badly] three times so far).
100_2495.jpg

I put the tag on hinges to get to the poles:
PoleBoxAccess.jpg

Deploy a tarp under the tent to keep it clean:
100_2589.jpg

Bring wine; wine makes you smarter, better looking, & food tastes better:
100_2349.jpg

The tarp works well in the rain but some will seep through the seams. Then it rolls down and gets to the seams above the rear window and seeps through and drips on your bed. Use a liberal amount of goo or seam-sealer to cover that seam above the rear window.
100_2802.jpg

We'll be at Devil's Fork State Park off of SC-11 from May 25-31 if you want to pop in. It has electric/water/potties/showers and sits on a big lake; great place to recharge your battery and get a proper shower.
We'll be in RV site #1 if anybody wants to join us for a while.

Have a good trip; sounds like fun.

That campground and Lake Jocassee is a great place to visit love the water out there

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
We're about 3 miles off RT 84 right across the Hudson River (Beacon,NY)...there's a beautiful spot in the lower yard surrounded by woods with a nice fire ring. Welcome to stop by on your way through and set up camp. Hudson Valley has tons of things to see (West Point, FDR Estate, Boscobel Shakespere Festival, Bear Mountain State Park) and my favorite local campsite..Clarence Fahnestock State Park...a real nice place to stay.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=129

chips95

Observer
Thanks for all the replys, well I actually used to live in Maine about 4 years ago, I was stationed onboard the USCGC Tahoma out of Kittery, defiantly love the area (and the moose flys) actually going to stay with an old shipmate that was also one of my groomsman he has 10 acres about mid way up the state. Hilldweller we will defiantly take you up on the offer and meet up for a visit I have a bottle of Cain 5 with your name on it, and thanks for the heads up on the rear window I'll be sure to take care of it before our departure. actually still havnt set up the tarp just havnt had the need as of yet.

Agavelvr I actually did look at the Engel 60, I'm just a little worried about the added power draw over the 45, I'm currently running off a blue top group 31, and hopefully picking up the foldable 60 watt solar panel from adventure trailer before our departure.

As far as the trip goes we really dont have any thing set in stone as far as a schedule pretty much gonna take things as they come our only stops that are a definate are Bowie, MD, Chepachet, RI, and Somerville, ME, and now Devils Fork State Park in South Carolina. The only thing we are sure on is we are going to try to avoid as many major roads as possible. But I'll keep everyone posted on progress throughout.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for all the replys, well I actually used to live in Maine about 4 years ago, I was stationed onboard the USCGC Tahoma out of Kittery, defiantly love the area (and the moose flys) actually going to stay with an old shipmate that was also one of my groomsman he has 10 acres about mid way up the state. Hilldweller we will defiantly take you up on the offer and meet up for a visit I have a bottle of Cain 5 with your name on it, and thanks for the heads up on the rear window I'll be sure to take care of it before our departure. actually still havnt set up the tarp just havnt had the need as of yet.
ooooooo.
The park has a "no alcohol" policy with threat of immediate eviction...
...I spoke with other campers and they say it means "no alcohol seen"...
Mission Impossible, covert wine consumption...

Hope the fire ban has been lifted. It's been raining for a month straight.

chips95

Observer
Well just pulled the trigger on the Engle 45 (hope I dont regret it with having to remove the lid due to the clearance issues), also picked up the power film 60 watt foldable solar panel from adventure trailer (Martyn was very helpful)there were some unforeseen expenditures as there website said it had a built in charge controller but it was a typo (now changed on the site) so I picked up the controller as well as all necessary cables and adaptors and there waterproof pass through to the nose-box so I can just plug in the panel without the need to open the box. Everything should be in early next week which will give me a few days for the install and to work all the bugs out.

Hilldweller there is nothing better than drinking a nice red out of some coffee cups. Hell we can even use the french press as the wine decanter!! We made our reservations and picked up RV site 03 so we will see ya there.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hilldweller there is nothing better than drinking a nice red out of some coffee cups. Hell we can even use the french press as the wine decanter!! We made our reservations and picked up RV site 03 so we will see ya there.
Super cool; I'm eager to check out your solar gizmo. I came very very close to getting one as well... ...maybe next year for Moab...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke