Conqueror Compact electrical issue - Power Distribution replacement?

fubar

Adventurer
On the last day of Overland Expo my trailer smoked the power distribution system and the wire going to the fridge. I have taken it apart and the distribution system is melted and probably unrecoverable. I intend to replace it with a more modern charging/distribution system. Any recommendations?

fubar

Adventurer
well... Had to make a call to get something by this weekend. I ordered the WFCO WF-8735-P Brown 35 Amp Power Center. Smart charger and 4 DC line distribution. Will update on results.

JBailey

Adventurer
I recently purchased a compact and removed the original charger and replaced it with a marine unit. You can easily retain the original circuit breakers. I also added a second battery and ran dedicated power to the fridge.

fubar

Adventurer
I am replacing the whole thing. I don't trust the DC breakers as it allowed the fridge wire to melt from the PDU to the back hella connector. I do intent to run a dedicated fused line to the fridge.

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Honestly, while my unit is working at the moment, I am contemplating the Goal Zero Yeti 1250 with Solar Panels. I figure if I remove the OEM panel, I could amend the area so this will slide in and lock, with the beauty of it being that I could remove it and use it elsewhere.
It seems it would cure many ills, and at roughly $1400, it would be inline with all the parts and labor to replace with something else.
Thoughts?
D

fubar

Adventurer
I just got a new battery (27) before OEX and bought a fantastic 60w solar panel/controller while there from Overland Solar. I just need to connect the shore plug, manage battery charging, and do the DC distribution. Less than $600 including replacing the converter/PDU. I think the only thing that needs to be portable is the solar panel.

fubar

Adventurer
Installed the new unit and replacement wiring. The end result was excellent. The process was a bit challenging as it's a bit of a Franken-setup. US 3 prong plug, to UK spec cord, to German 220/3 pin shore plug to US spec pig tail, to US converter/charger/PDU. I was very careful but still held my breath when I flipped the breaker. The unit fits in the original compartment and I added a metal strap to brace one side as it does not completely fill the compartment.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I just picked this up today.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4000.html

It is overkill I think but found it on a clearance shelf at Camping World. Regularly $265. The checkout guy said he thought it was priced wrong but said it was their mistake and if I wanted it I could have it for the price listed. I scored it for $40 new in the box.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

fubar

Adventurer
Great deal! I hope you can get to fit without excessive drama.

I am really hopeful that with my new converter and solar panel I will have a much improved experience.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

XJBANKER

Explorer
It will fit in the same spot as the original. It sticks out about 2 inches farther so I built some brakes for it last night. It should be an easy install......I hope.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

fubar

Adventurer
UPDATE - I have tested my new set-up with my Overland Solar 60w solar panel. I was able to run the fridge for 4 days without moving. It is in the high 90's here today and the battery is holding strong at 12.5 v. I am very happy with the WFCO WF-8735-P replacement as wll as the Overland Solar unit.

I ran separate lines for each outlet, the interior lights and the fridge.

One less thing...

fubar

Adventurer
ede4a5ab.jpg
urahapeh.jpg
rymehu5y.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles