Conqueror Compact electrical issue - Power Distribution replacement?

fubar

Adventurer
On the last day of Overland Expo my trailer smoked the power distribution system and the wire going to the fridge. I have taken it apart and the distribution system is melted and probably unrecoverable. I intend to replace it with a more modern charging/distribution system. Any recommendations?

fubar

Adventurer
well... Had to make a call to get something by this weekend. I ordered the WFCO WF-8735-P Brown 35 Amp Power Center. Smart charger and 4 DC line distribution. Will update on results.

Recommended books for Overlanding

The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary: A Fable About Following ...
by Paulo Coelho
From $10.47
Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United Stat...
by TeriAnn Wakeman
From $64.95

JBailey

Adventurer
I recently purchased a compact and removed the original charger and replaced it with a marine unit. You can easily retain the original circuit breakers. I also added a second battery and ran dedicated power to the fridge.

fubar

Adventurer
I am replacing the whole thing. I don't trust the DC breakers as it allowed the fridge wire to melt from the PDU to the back hella connector. I do intent to run a dedicated fused line to the fridge.

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Honestly, while my unit is working at the moment, I am contemplating the Goal Zero Yeti 1250 with Solar Panels. I figure if I remove the OEM panel, I could amend the area so this will slide in and lock, with the beauty of it being that I could remove it and use it elsewhere.
It seems it would cure many ills, and at roughly $1400, it would be inline with all the parts and labor to replace with something else.
Thoughts?
D

fubar

Adventurer
I just got a new battery (27) before OEX and bought a fantastic 60w solar panel/controller while there from Overland Solar. I just need to connect the shore plug, manage battery charging, and do the DC distribution. Less than $600 including replacing the converter/PDU. I think the only thing that needs to be portable is the solar panel.

fubar

Adventurer
Installed the new unit and replacement wiring. The end result was excellent. The process was a bit challenging as it's a bit of a Franken-setup. US 3 prong plug, to UK spec cord, to German 220/3 pin shore plug to US spec pig tail, to US converter/charger/PDU. I was very careful but still held my breath when I flipped the breaker. The unit fits in the original compartment and I added a metal strap to brace one side as it does not completely fill the compartment.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I just picked this up today.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4000.html

It is overkill I think but found it on a clearance shelf at Camping World. Regularly $265. The checkout guy said he thought it was priced wrong but said it was their mistake and if I wanted it I could have it for the price listed. I scored it for $40 new in the box.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

fubar

Adventurer
Great deal! I hope you can get to fit without excessive drama.

I am really hopeful that with my new converter and solar panel I will have a much improved experience.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

XJBANKER

Explorer
It will fit in the same spot as the original. It sticks out about 2 inches farther so I built some brakes for it last night. It should be an easy install......I hope.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

fubar

Adventurer
UPDATE - I have tested my new set-up with my Overland Solar 60w solar panel. I was able to run the fridge for 4 days without moving. It is in the high 90's here today and the battery is holding strong at 12.5 v. I am very happy with the WFCO WF-8735-P replacement as wll as the Overland Solar unit.

I ran separate lines for each outlet, the interior lights and the fridge.

One less thing...

Recommended books for Overlanding

The Total Approach of Getting Unstuck Off Road: 4WD Self-...
by Robert Wohlers
From $59.95
Overland: A Mercedes-Benz Journey Through the Americas
by ri M. Stroh
From $20
Adventure Motorcycling Handbook: A Route & Planning Guide
by Chris Scott
From $10.09
First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover
by Tim Slessor
From $13.4