Conqueror Compact Cover Help!

XJBANKER

Explorer
So the sun and weather has finally taken its toll on the top of my cover. I thought about having a new cover custom made but the bids have been around $600. So off to the drawing board. A local friend of mine has the same trailer with the same problem and has used Permadri Rubber coating made for roofs and it is very flexible and seems to be working really well. 2 problems that I have seen with it. 1. It is black! 2. It has a tar smell to it. It is not strong, but faint. The inside does not smell like it and it does not seem to be getting to the tent because it was only applied to the outside. I would like to try and trap the smell somehow and to change the color as well so I have been looking at using Plasti dip to coat the outside and change the color. I should be able to do both for around $100.

What are the thoughts with this approach? Also what color would you go with? Here are all of the colors that are availiable. https://www.dipyourcar.com/colors.html

I am thinking of trying to match the blue of my Jeep or going with a brown, grey or tan.

I am only getting water leaking in heavy rain. It is always stored in my garage and just trying to solve the problem before it turns into a large issue.

IMAG0349.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Mytarps.com

Look at the Machine covers they are made like a shoe box lid.
Many materials and colors they will put snaps or gromets where you like.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Anyone? Don't have to be a conqueror owner to have an opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
I have a conquest... If I were in your position, I'd take a good look at the condition of the canvas and other elements of the tent. If they are worn or damaged beyond their life, install a new one. If the canvas and other structural elements are fine, email Stephen Potts and tell him what trailer you have and what you need. sales3@conqueror.co.za

Bottom line- go with PVC for replacing the tent cover. If you store the trailer in the elements, put a breathable outdoor cover over everything and make sure there is air flow and /protection from rain and sun.

Last edited:

XJBANKER

Explorer
Well the Cover was only warn right in the middle at the top. I used the permadri to cover it and it works really well. It is actually mor comfortable to handle when putting the cover back on because it gives some grip.
e2ura8a8.jpg
qurebese.jpg

fubar

Adventurer
So you are happy with the result? How'a your tent floor? Would that stuff work there too?

XJBANKER

Explorer
So you are happy with the result? How'a your tent floor? Would that stuff work there too?

I am very happy with the result. It is some strong stuff and good for the corners of the cover where you pull it over the metal hinges of the tent that are very sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99l8ARduqc

I think it would be great for the bottom of the tent if you are having issues with it. However it does have a faint tar smell that is not noticed at all since it is on the outside of the cover. I don't know if it would make your tent smell storing it in the heat. Both of us that have done this to our tailers think it was the right move. It has more of a grip and more comfortable to handle and is water tight.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Rolled it on and used a brush in the seams. It is too thick to spray and drys to the touch within minutes.

XJBANKER

Explorer
The permadri is waterproof. The plasti dip is just a paint. I figured I could do the permadri and then Cover it in plasti dip to change the color if desired. I have a can of plasti dip that I got at home depot that I want to spray on a tarp to test how flexible it is and see if it cracks after rolling it up over and over.

The permadri I got from one of my local roof suppliers. Only one carried it. It was $50 for the gallon.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I am still debating on changing the color. My jeep is blue and black so the black looks good with it. Not sure what color I would try and change it to..

fubar

Adventurer
Just finished the cover. I took my time with a large and small roller after masking. Next will be the tent bottom. That will be a bit more complicated and time consuming, but having a waterproof bottom again will be worth it.

Great tip! Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior