Connecting non-proprietary solar panel to Goal Zero Yeti 400

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Recently got an Engel 12V fridge (MT35) and I'm now trying to set-up a system to power the fridge and a couple LED lights.

I like the simplicity and portability of the Goal Zero Yeti 400. I do not have an aux battery in my 4-Runner (obviously) and would like to be able to move the GZ and solar panel to another vehicle in the future.

Goal Zero sells some their own solar panels but they seem expensive compared to others I've researched online.

My question: how do non-proprietary panels plug into the Yeti 400 and does the solar controller on the Yeti still work with other panels? Seems the GZ panels are "plug and play".

Appreciate the help and apologies for my lack of electronic savvy.

Nate

daveh

Adventurer
I'm planning on connecting a renology 100w to my Yeti 400. From what I've been able to find it looks like you will need a goal zero MC4 to 8mm cable which is then connected to renology MC4 cables. The mc4 cables plug into the renology panel and the 8mm into the yeti.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Looking at the GZ site, it seems the adapter cable and extension cord are chronically out of stock.

Hoping to source them elsewhere.

john61ct

Adventurer
As soon as you figure out the specs for the plug goes into the unit, you can make up your own adapters from any type.

Or get genuinedealz.com to make for you.

They may already know from past orders.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
I'm planning on connecting a renology 100w to my Yeti 400. From what I've been able to find it looks like you will need a goal zero MC4 to 8mm cable which is then connected to renology MC4 cables. The mc4 cables plug into the renology panel and the 8mm into the yeti.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have this setup. Plug and play.
19fb3b2a30eee80245895d2682fc7ad3.jpg

ad057b0e27ccecd162ceb860202491ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Interesting! That blue Input plug feeds into the solar controller even if its coming from the included wall wart?

Or do they build their SC right into their proprietary panel setup?

john61ct

Adventurer
get a "48 piece" universal computer adaptor kit & see what if anything fits.
Yes, the add-on "pin sets" are very cheap and likely would identify the spec.

Just don't try to actually use those cheapo little adapters for a high current. . .

snowblind

Adventurer
I have this setup. Plug and play.
ad057b0e27ccecd162ceb860202491ae.jpg

Just to be 100% accurate. That is NOT the MC4 to 8mm adapter cable in this photo. That adapter has the same 8mm plug but the actual cable is 4 or 5 times thicker and only 12-15 inches long.

Here is the MC4 to 8mm connector
98015main.jpg

I have the MC4 to 8mm and it is nice but it REQUIRES using MC4 connectors. A more flexible option might be to use the Anderson to 8mm connector. $9.99 and in stock now http://www.goalzero.com/p/488/anderson-to-8mm-connector/

Matt

john61ct

Adventurer
OK, did some digging in my notes.

For those that want to DIY your own adapters, or order custom ones from genuinedealz.com

​That Yeti input plug spec is widely known as "DC5521", very common, almost lowest common denominator for "universal" DC adapters and generic LED power supplies:

O.D. 5.5mm
I.D. 2.1mm

A quality APP example here:

https://powerwerx.com/21mm-angle-coaxial-powerpole-adapter

For low-amp use, testing and jury-rigging:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ER6QWAY

just be wary of polarity and voltage range tolerance, maybe someone with a Yeti can speak to those.

snowblind

Adventurer
This right angle connector is nice! I've always been annoyed at how far the plugs stick out of the Yeti.

21mm-right-angle-dc-coaxial-power-plug-to-powerpole-adapter-6-ft__4597_580.jpg

Matt

bjornb

Sorry, the DC5521 plug does not match the 8mm input plug on the Yeti.

2017-08-03 08.59.22.jpg
(picture shows my Sherpa 100, but my Yeti 400 use the same plug).

john61ct

Adventurer
Aarg, got bad misinformation there, so sorry to everyone for passing it on, mod please delete?

OK if someone with such a unit could get a cheap pack of those "universal" assortments?

Unless of course GZ was so sneaky as to design their own just to be proprietary?

bjornb

The Sherpa 100 I own is equipped with a 19V laptop output, and comes with different tips:

2017-08-03 15.59.08.jpg

Tips:
5.5mm - 6.0mm - 8.0mm laptop - 8mm input (modded with powerpole) - 7.4mm HP laptop charger - 7.4mm laptop.

The tips are described like this in the Sherpa manual:
Capture.JPG

It seems to me that the 8mm laptop tip is identical to the sherpa input plug, which is a IBM/Lenovo port.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles