Connect aftermarket radio to Xterra (with stock amplifier)??

Trying to connect an aftermarket radio, but ran into a challenge, wondering if you guys can help!

So on my previous Xterra, I put it an aftermarket radio, was super easy -> just got one of those Metra connection harnesses, connected the harness wires to the aftermarket radio, and then just plugged into the 2 plugs that were in the Xterra.

However, on this truck I have an amplifier, so there is a 3rd plug that connects into the stock radio. Not sure what to do in this case: do I just ignore the 3rd plug? Should I be by-passing the amplifier or using it? Not sure how to do it either way...

@Gohere thank you!

Figured it out:
  • Third plug (with only 2 wires going into it) is for the steering wheel controls. Need a special self-programming unit to connect it to the stereo, but can just leave it off - just won't have steering wheel controls
  • I had the wrong harness: my harness was direct stereo plug to amp IN connections. However, this would mean that I would be sending already amplified speaker level signal into the amp, which needs a pre-amp signal. The wiring harness Crutchfield suggests (if you pick Fosgate system in vehicle options) has a different harness that has RCA plugs that connect to the stereo - so you're actually sending the stock amp pre-amp signal!

Gohere

@Gohere thank you!

Figured it out:
  • Third plug (with only 2 wires going into it) is for the steering wheel controls. Need a special self-programming unit to connect it to the stereo, but can just leave it off - just won't have steering wheel controls
  • I had the wrong harness: my harness was direct stereo plug to amp IN connections. However, this would mean that I would be sending already amplified speaker level signal into the amp, which needs a pre-amp signal. The wiring harness Crutchfield suggests (if you pick Fosgate system in vehicle options) has a different harness that has RCA plugs that connect to the stereo - so you're actually sending the stock amp pre-amp signal!

Glad I could help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior