CONFIRMED! Reliable sources state 2014 will be the last FJC Model year

Clutch

<---Pass
No, you are correct, it's the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 in both. Kermit probably means the 2UZ-FE V8, which would be sweet in a Taco but clearly would cut into Tundra sales. The 4th gen 4Runner also has an electronic shift t-case, so I dunno. The Taco can get a stick shift behind the V6, which is unavailable in a 4Runner.

Thought the 4Runner/FJC have the updated more powerful 1GR-FE while the Tacoma still has the original. Of course the V-8 would be awesome! On Toyota's website the specs say power output is lower on the Tacoma.

4Runner: 4.0-liter 270 hp/278 tq

Tacoma: 4.0-liter 236 hp/266 tq

Wiki:

The 1GR-FE is the 4.0 L (3956 cc) version, designed for longitudinal mounting in RWD and 4WD pickup applications. It has a 94 mm bore and a stroke of 95 mm. Output is 236 hp (176 kW) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb·ft (361 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 239 hp (178 kW) at 5200 rpm with 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's VVT-i, variable valve timing system on the intake cam and a compression ratio of 10.0:1. An updated version of this engine features Dual VVT-i, increasing output to 254 hp (189 kW) and 270 lb·ft (366 N·m) on 87 octane and 285 hp (213 kW) and 289 lb·ft (392 N·m) on 91 octane.

Last edited:

ErockinTaco

Thought the 4Runner/FJC have the updated more powerful 1GR-FE while the Tacoma still has the original. Of course the V-8 would be awesome!

The 1GR-FE is the 4.0 L (3956 cc) version, designed for longitudinal mounting in RWD and 4WD pickup applications. It has a 94 mm bore and a stroke of 95 mm. Output is 236 hp (176 kW) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb·ft (361 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 239 hp (178 kW) at 5200 rpm with 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's VVT-i, variable valve timing system on the intake cam and a compression ratio of 10.0:1. An updated version of this engine features Dual VVT-i, increasing output to 254 hp (189 kW) and 270 lb·ft (366 N·m) on 87 octane and 285 hp (213 kW) and 289 lb·ft (392 N·m) on 91 octane.

:Wow1: That is a ridiculous amount of power gain just from changing to higher octane fuel

java

Expedition Leader
With the variable timing i think they are able to take advantage of the change in octane more. I bet it takes a while for the computer to learn it however.

Drsuzuki06

I think the lack of sales is less about the vehicle but the price . Fj's are lovely but I know I would not cough up the cash when a jeep JFK can be had for a decent amount of cash less and the aftermarket supports the jeep in spades.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I think the lack of sales is less about the vehicle but the price . Fj's are lovely but I know I would not cough up the cash when a jeep JFK can be had for a decent amount of cash less and the aftermarket supports the jeep in spades.

A fully loaded Trail Teams FJ with every option runs about $34-35k, the Jeep with every option is about $8-10k more. I don't see a soft top Jeep being near the value. You could buy a 4runner Limited or Trail, with every option for same or less than the soft top equipped jeep but the jeeps sell like wildfire. I don' to pretend to understand it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

wikid

Adventurer
I own the 07 FJ with the single vvt-i and now own a 2013 TT FJ with the dual vvt-i. At first, the power seems to be similar. I have never bought into running premium, or thought it made any difference in mileage/power. About 2 months ago I saw this wiki about the difference in power premium and decided do a little comparison. I switched to premium and for the first few weeks, it didn't seem to make any difference at all. I am on about my 5-6th week now and it seems to be getting much better gas mileage and feels a little more peppy.

My heavily modded FJ never seemed to get much past 200 miles, before I was thinking about a gas station. When I pulled my trailer, 200 miles was more than a thought , it was necessary. I just completed a full tank of gas, pulling my trailer for almost all of those miles and I pulled into a gas station at 243 miles. Our temps have been 100F plus for the last week or 2. My mileage was 14 mpg. Previous tanks with similar driving were 11 ish with the trailer. Granted, I was more aware of my driving habits, but not to the point of getting 3 more miles to the gallon.
There is nothing definitive ,or scientific about my experience, but it seems to have made some difference, in my results.

Comments made above about how it may take longer for the computer to learn and adjust , may have some truth to it. On this tank,. after filling up I am doing a hypermile light test. Just easing into the peddles, a little more and easing off sooner,to see what I can squeeze out of this tank. This will probably not be the norm, in the future

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I've often wondered how much the torque curve changed with the Dual-VVTi update. I've never been able to find actual dyno graph for the stock Dual-VVTi motor to compare to the original. When I drove a 2011 FJ it didn't feel as 'grunty' off the line as my '08, but it had nice roll-on acceleration at highway speeds. Of course this is all just a 'seat-of-the-pants' feeling, but I'm pretty sure the newer motor makes its peak torque at a higher RPM now.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The hp gains come up high. The because this gives some room for reshaping the cams for torque, you get a tini bit more of that down low. Low and midrange torque is what matters- low end, to get off the line, and mid-range to pull a trailer or hold a higher gear on a grade. The high-end HP advantage of the newer motor only become evident at WOT. I'm too old for WOT.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wow, legitimate power and mileage improvements on the fly (so to speak). Ain't technology grand? I run higher octane, too, but it's more to counteract the 10% ethanol we get and the tendency to make the 22R ping in the summer.

Clutch

<---Pass
A fully loaded Trail Teams FJ with every option runs about $34-35k, the Jeep with every option is about $8-10k more. I don't see a soft top Jeep being near the value. You could buy a 4runner Limited or Trail, with every option for same or less than the soft top equipped jeep but the jeeps sell like wildfire. I don' to pretend to understand it.

Because the JK is waaaay cooler.

Too bad Toyota didn't manufacture a mass produced version of the Icon FJ44, so a working man could afford it. Wonder if they did that if they would have to discontinue the FJ. Probably get flamed for this, but the FJ Cruiser is pretending to be something it is not. Give me a Prado over the FJC.

FJ44_f1.jpg

wikid

Adventurer
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of whether it makes sense. FJC is a pretty good wheeling platform right out of the box. What makes it even better is the dependability . It may not be a true dedicated rock crawler, but does well for moderate wheeling. Plus it's really comfortable to drive 1000-2000 miles, in comfort, then do a fairly aggressive trail. Oh and it will also make a comfortable trip back. I don't trust Jeep dependability or comfort , but that's just me .

On a a continued side note, I have been monitoring this tank of gas and was surprised to see how far I actually went on 1/4 tank of gas . Previously I could barely stretch 80 miles , by the time it hit the 3/4 mark.
Here is the 1/4 tank on this go around. I took this at a red light but the needle was right on the 3/4 line at 110@miles. We will see how that works out at the next fill up

pilosopo

Adventurer

You're absolutely right when looking at list prices.

I wanted an FJ when I was cross shopping between it and a Jk. I ultimately decided on a Jeep, which I now love, as Toyota rarely discounts their vehicles the way Jeep does.

In the end, I got a brand new Rubicon Unlimited for about 4k less than a comparably equipped FJ.

I'm in SoCal if that matters.

STREGA

Explorer
Because the JK is waaaay cooler.

Too bad Toyota didn't manufacture a mass produced version of the Icon FJ44, so a working man could afford it. Wonder if they did that if they would have to discontinue the FJ. Probably get flamed for this, but the FJ Cruiser is pretending to be something it is not. Give me a Prado over the FJC.

View attachment 165599

My '08 FJC TT has been pretending all over the southwest for the last 5 years, most recently at the Maze and on the Kokopelli Trail (for the 2nd time in the last 9 months). Also I would rather be in my FJ than a Jeep if a bad accident was to happen.

Clutch

<---Pass
My '08 FJC TT has been pretending all over the southwest for the last 5 years, most recently at the Maze and on the Kokopelli Trail (for the 2nd time in the last 9 months). Also I would rather be in my FJ than a Jeep if a bad accident was to happen.

The JK has to pass a crash test the same as the FJ.

It is a visually questionable body on a Prado chassis. The chassis is great, the drive train is awesome, looks not so much, it missed the mark by quite a bit. It was a big let down they it came out. Give us core Toyota guys something to get excited about. I would spend my money on a 4Runner, on a Prado...no problem. Couldn't give me a FJC, well....I would take it, then rip off the body...have Aqualu fab me a FJ40 series body to cobble on the chassis.

I was hoping for this, with coilover linked suspension instead of leaf:

262191_10150222563714630_1739796_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz