CONFIRMED! Reliable sources state 2014 will be the last FJC Model year

p nut

butter
Every car maker is pushing the bland fuel-efficient econoboxes right now, because that's where the money is. Soul of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. doesn't exist, because they have been sold.

Clutch

<---Pass
Every car maker is pushing the bland fuel-efficient econoboxes right now, because that's where the money is. Soul of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. doesn't exist, because they have been sold.

Honda motorcycles used to be sooo cool and cutting edge...

Would be nice if Toyota got back to a small fuel efficient mini-truck...body on frame, manual hubs, manual trans, lever actuated transfer case, hand crank windows...of course! ;)

Oh wait! They do......

5e8f99e054.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Kermit said:
A small car was Toyota's first vehicle, not a Cruiser...so Haven is kinda right.
Not sure I would call the 1936 Type AA sedan a small car.

800px-Toyoda_Standard_Sedan_AA_1936_Bertel_Schmitt.jpg

Their first post war cars were in 1951 the Jeep BJ and in 1955 Toyopet Crown (which is a very small car). The modern Land Cruiser as we know it is the 1955-1960 20 series. We in the US got the first Toyotas in 1958 with the FJ25, of which just one was imported that year along with just under 300 Crowns.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classictoyotatown/message/1008

http://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/

http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/

The Toyopet was apparently quite a poor match for the U.S., too.

http://www.toyota.com/about/our_business/our_history/product_history/pdf/toyopet.pdf

JeffRRC

Adventurer
I'm glad Toyota built them for a while, I really enjoy ours. It has been one of the few vehicles I've owned that I haven't regularly considered replacing with something else. Sure it is quirky but perhaps that is what attracted us to them in the first place. I plan on keeping it for a very long time.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Well congrats to Jeep, this gives them the market by default and I guess deservingly so because they keep making the Wrangler more and more capable and they're selling like hot cakes around here. Even people that I personally know will never take them on more than a fire road are driving around Laguna Beach in their Orange Rubicons.

Also, if the Nissan Patrol and Pathfinder are any indication of where the legendary SUVs are going then I wouldn't be surprised if the FJC or the LC names emerge as the newer version of the RAV4 or the Highlander. It's what sells unfortunately and the proof is around us- how many "SUVs" do we see on the road everyday that have big gaping holes where the rear differential and axles should be? Even the Tahoes etc are usually purchased without the 4wd option around here.

DaveInDenver

My taste is simple, fixable with sticks that shift gears. I can't see myself buying a Jeep, but the Wrangler is the only thing that comes close to meeting that. Problem is I will never drive anything other than a pickup, so it's out automatically. But I also still keep putting money into a 255,000 mile old Hilux/Pickup because I just yawn at what Toyota has made in the past few years. I'm not the only one either apparently.

I had one of those moments in my truck the other day, just a feeling of being comfortable. She's slow and doesn't run super well, but there are no rattles and minimal rust. It just works and I appreciate it. I haven't babied it either, although I'm not as hard on my truck as some.

Why is that so hard for Toyota to get? Pickups, Corollas, Celicas, 4Runners, FJ40/60/80. We don't want fashion statements, we want tools. Seems to me that was the flaw with the FJC, it was stylish for a while but fell out of favor as all trends do. But there are a lot of other factors that indicate to me that going forward we'll be building more and more of our trucks ourselves. Learn to weld.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Tanks Dave, I thought the SA was Toyota's first car.

Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki-gaisha or Toyota for short is actually the largest car maker in the entire world, bigger than Ford, GM and anyone else. Their history, like many other car producers, starts with some other product, in this case automatic looms. At some point, in 1933, Kiichiro Toyoda, son to Toyota's founder, decided he wanted to build cars and so he took a trip to Europe to get an idea about gas-powered engines.

The government encouraged such a bold decision mostly because making their own cars would be cheaper and they also needed vehicles for the war with China. Just a year after its foundation in 1933, the Toyota Motor Company created its first engine, the Type A, placed in the Model A1 passenger car and the G1 truck.

During WWII, Toyota was committed to making trucks for the army and only the premature ending of the conflict saved the company's factories in Aichi from a scheduled Allied bomb raid. After the war, Toyota resumed car making but found more success in building trucks and buses than with cars. Still, it didn't give up on cars for good and in 1947 it came up with the Model SA, also known as the Toyopet, a name which later was applied to other models as well.

A little more successful was the Model SF which also had a taxi version but the same 27 horsepower engine as its predecessor. A more powerful model, the RH, which had 48 HP came out shortly after. Production went up rather fast and by 1955, Toyota was turning out 8400 cars a year. That year, Toyota diversified their production, adding the Jeep-like Land Cruiser and the luxury sedan, the Crown.

http://www.autoevolution.com/toyota/history/

I'd argue that Toyota's "soul" is linked just as firmly to trucks as it is to cars.

;)

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
My taste is simple, fixable with sticks that shift gears. I can't see myself buying a Jeep, but the Wrangler is the only thing that comes close to meeting that. Problem is I will never drive anything other than a pickup, so it's out automatically. But I also still keep putting money into a 255,000 mile old Hilux/Pickup because I just yawn at what Toyota has made in the past few years. I'm not the only one either apparently.

I had one of those moments in my truck the other day, just a feeling of being comfortable. She's slow and doesn't run super well, but there are no rattles and minimal rust. It just works and I appreciate it. I haven't babied it either, although I'm not as hard on my truck as some.

Why is that so hard for Toyota to get? Pickups, Corollas, Celicas, 4Runners, FJ40/60/80. We don't want fashion statements, we want tools. Seems to me that was the flaw with the FJC, it was stylish for a while but fell out of favor as all trends do. But there are a lot of other factors that indicate to me that going forward we'll be building more and more of our trucks ourselves. Learn to weld.

You better catch up old man, I have 270K+ on the Taco. :D

My eye has been straying, but yeah my truck feels like a good ol' pair worn Levis. Girlfriend keeps on telling me it does everything I need it do, and I love
that damn thing..."Quit looking at other trucks!" ;) She says just freshen it up...toss a new engine in it, and fresh coat of paint and call it good.

I think "We" are the minority...most people want a fashion statements. Though I do like a bit of classic style. The new Tacoma isn't too bad, they haven't ruined it yet. Though given the new 4Runner and Tundra...the future looks bleak...

The 2013 Pyrite Mica Tacoma, Total Chaos has their page is pretty sharp, and not over done, sure it could use manny T-Case and manny hubs (oh well, could rip the drive train out of FJC and sling in there, saw a couple wrecked ones on the auto auction pages, hmmm...(craaaap there I go looking at another truck again. ;) )

http://www.chaosfab.com/

547375_564407420266477_1971515068_n.jpg

http://www.autoevolution.com/toyota/history/

I'd argue that Toyota's "soul" is linked just as firmly to trucks as it is to cars.

;)

For sure, honestly I do not like Toyota's cars...not really a car guy anyway. Which was confirmed the other day. Was behind the wheel
of a Jetta Sportwagon for a couple hours, I kept on straining my neck to see around. 4 or so hours was pently...nice car, but waaay too low to the ground.

Last edited:

Ramjet

Explorer
I feel the same way when it comes to my wife's Mini Cooper. Only good thing about that is getting around them really fast when the turbo kicks in. I do love my FJ.

DaveInDenver

LOL Kermit, my clock says 255K but it has been off (both high and low) for years because of tire mismatches and there was that broken speedo cable period. Actual mileage is unknown. Just like it's supposed to be with low junk. We are definitely not Toyota's target market at the moment, Toyota North America anyway. Yeah, the Taco is alright still, if pressed it would be what I would buy. Maybe the 3rd gen will converge with the Hilux (a Ta-Lux?), since it's been softened and probably would not offend our collective sensibilities.

Clutch

<---Pass
I feel the same way when it comes to my wife's Mini Cooper. Only good thing about that is getting around them really fast when the turbo kicks in. I do love my FJ.

I liked the VW, it was the TDI....dang nice engine, the torque was quite lovely, and to think it was getting 40mpg!...kept on saying to myself "now why can't we have a diesel in the Tacoma?" My bud and I pulled into the Bass ProShop, I couldn't see over their decorative grass to find a parking space. fricken cars! ha!

DaveInDenver said:
LOL Kermit, my clock says 255K but it has been off (both high and low) for years because of tire mismatches and there was that broken speedo cable period. Actual mileage is unknown. Just like it's supposed to be with low junk. We are definitely not Toyota's target market at the moment, Toyota North America anyway. Yeah, the Taco is alright still, if pressed it would be what I would buy. Maybe the 3rd gen will converge with the Hilux (a Ta-Lux?), since it's been softened and probably would not offend our collective sensibilities.

LOL, ok you might have me on mileage then. I still have the original engine and clutch though, Neener neener! :D

The biggest thing I miss from the old vehicles, (I know it is silly) are the vent windows. At least I have one vehicle that still has them. The current HiLux and Tacoma aren't too dissimilar, they even share the same front end components, and same rear diff. Now if only they had the same payloads, though I think that can be fixed by just boxing in the frame of the Tacoma, and tossing on some heavy duty springs. I do like the size of the 2nd gen too...seems like it is Goldilocks...not too big, not too small. Maybe wee bit under-powdered, why doesn't it get the engine the 4Runner/FJC received? or at least a high torque diesel, I mean c'mon Toyota!

Still don't know why the Tacoma lost the manual T-Case, while the 4Runner kept it. If anything Ill' bet the 4Runner sees less dirt than a Tacoma. I know you like your hand crank windows, all of my vehicles up in 'til my current Taco were hand crank...I sure do like not having to bend over and stretch to crank down the passenger window, especially if my dog is with me. :)

Last edited:

ErockinTaco

I liked the VW, it was the TDI....dang nice engine, the torque was quite lovely, and to think it was getting 40mpg!...kept on saying to myself "now why can't we have a diesel in the Tacoma?" My bud and I pulled into the Bass ProShop, I couldn't see over their decorative grass to find a parking space. fricken cars! ha!

LOL, ok you might have me on mileage then. I still have the original engine and clutch though, Neener neener! :D

The biggest thing I miss from the old vehicles, (I know it is silly) are the vent windows. At least I have one vehicle that still has them. The current HiLux and Tacoma aren't too dissimilar, they even share the same front end components, and same rear diff. Now if only they had the same payloads, though I think that can be fixed by just boxing in the frame of the Tacoma, and tossing on some heavy duty springs. I do like the size of the 2nd gen too...seems like it is Goldilocks...not too big, not too small. Maybe wee bit under-powdered, why doesn't it get the engine the 4Runner/FJC received? or at least a high torque diesel, I mean c'mon Toyota!

Still don't know why the Tacoma lost the manual T-Case, while the 4Runner kept it. If anything Ill' bet the 4Runner sees less dirt than a Tacoma. I know you like your hand crank windows, all of my vehicles up in 'til my current Taco were hand crank...I sure do like not having to bend over and stretch to crank down the passenger window, especially if my dog is with me. :)

Hello everyone, new guy here.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 2nd Gen tacoma have the same engine as the 4runner and FJC? 4.0 V6
I have a 2006 and I think it has plenty of power and torque. I'm loving this truck

too bad about the direction SUV's are going these days, although I used to have a 4 door Wrangler and it was pretty sweet, but the reliability issues just kill it for me. I have 150k on my Taco and I would be very nervous to take a Jeep that high. I plan on taking my Taco well past 200K

DaveInDenver

Hello everyone, new guy here.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 2nd Gen tacoma have the same engine as the 4runner and FJC? 4.0 V6
No, you are correct, it's the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 in both. Kermit probably means the 2UZ-FE V8, which would be sweet in a Taco but clearly would cut into Tundra sales. The 4th gen 4Runner also has an electronic shift t-case, so I dunno. The Taco can get a stick shift behind the V6, which is unavailable in a 4Runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior