Condensation

Tatted

Adventurer
How do you guys deal with condensation in your popups? We leave the roof vent cracked but still get a lot in the bed area. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

CJB

We have a Northstar 850SC and just got used to wiping the vinyl sidewalls down in the morning. We do not have the arctic pac or whatever NS calls the extra layer inside but sometimes use the 2 ft foil bubble insulation in really cold weather which fits perfectly around the bed area. Before this camper we had a Roadtrek class B van and had the same issue.

Tatted

Adventurer
Good to know. That's what we have been doing. Read the owners manual lol and it scared me about the too much moisture warranty voids

brian90744

American Trekker
Reader MINO states:"2 People and the Catalytic creates a lot of condensation in any pop-up. Keep a chamois handy and look into a Eva-Dry dehumidifier with 12v plug
In fact, I've installed a 12v bunk warming pad to reduce the need for the wave heater".
Condensation happens to most units that people sleep with the heater on, warm on the inside of the unit and colder outside. try turning the Fantastic fan on exhaust low at night?? Like when taking a shower @ home I use the exhaust fan, In my camper I used in cold weather the same as CJB. good luck=brian

Attachments

• insulation 1.jpg
    insulation 1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Tatted

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Brian. Going to try a dehumidifier We left the fan on but at 25degrees outside gets a little chilly. We have sub zero sleeping bags. But still gets cold on the outside of them running the fan. We will see how a dehumidifier works this weekend

762X39

Explorer
Condensation builds up whatever kind of camper/tent you have. If memory serves me correct, one of the byproducts of propane combustion is water (same for breathing) . There is no easy fix but knowing that it will happen lets you plan for it and deal with it.:coffee:

zidaro

Explorer
the only real solution aside from wiping the interior down in am........... stop breathing. so, there it is- pick up a cute towel with your fav. design on it
Luckily, we both live in dry climate with no humidity. Mine will dry out quickly with the top up and air movement.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
My Phoenix camper had what I considered an unreasonable amount of condensation, and I don't use a catalytic heater but rather a vented furnace. I also didn't want to run the roof fan all night, it's cold out there. So I added an automotive dash fan in the galley area. So far, the motion is keeping the condensation down. I did the same thing many years ago on the 27' sailboat I used to live on. The current draw is minimal and it really works. Warmer, dryer air moving along the cooler sides will dry it up quite a bit.

Tatted

Adventurer
I keep trying the stop breathing thing but then I pass out and start breathing again:Wow1:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I agree on the stop breathing advice. ;)

Beyond that, no real solution except keeping the inside cooler than the outside, which isn't too practical either.

Condensation didn't form on the double pane windows (like Seitz acrylic windows) I've had, so in my Unimog and first Sprinter, which had a lot of the wall space covered with them, the problem was proportionately less.

My real reason for posting is to suggest carrying a small squeegee, the sort they sell for shower wipedown, if you have open enough open space to use one. We carry one in our current Sprinter, and it works well to move the condensation to one edge, where you can get it with a terrycloth rag. Saves time and, if you're clearing windows, leaves the windows way less splotchy than if you wiped all the water off with a rag.

Tatted

Adventurer
Thanks for more info everyone. Trying a small dehumidifier this weekends trip, will let everyone know

CJB

We used an Eva Dry EDV-1100
Eva-Dry-EDV-1100-Thermo-Electric-Peltier-Dehumidifier-P13781176.jpg
for a few years (until it died) and it did not seem to help very much. Is that the model you guys use; and has it helped? Thanks
Chris

MYTACO

Adventurer
I like the idea of this product. esp under the mattress. thx, might go there

Shop around on the internet before you buy. it's all the same....and some sell it in minimum 10 rolls. other than under the mattress, there's not a lot you can do with it. i ended up with enough to another full bed (but paid a lot less than others).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94