Concealed Carry - What Have You Got?

Teachyboy

I've got the Diamond D chest holster for the Alaskan when concealment is not a big deal. I also have a pancake type belt holster made by Simply Rugged. I carried it the other day just for fun. It actually conceals quite nice paired with a flannel and vest. Who knew?
Been looking at chest rigs for a while how do you like it? Currently just have a falcon of some sort. I really need to get rid of some holsters. Its getting hard to keep track of them all lol.

GHI

Adventurer
Only what was done that drew the attention. Do it as quickly, respectfully and professional as possible. If there is truly other issues revealed that is fine but to harass somebody because you feel you can is wrong.
Just so we're clear I'm not ok with illegal traffic stops or unnecessarily holding people up for an unreasonable amount of time. I know we're getting off track, so this will most likely be my last post on the matter. I'm simply saying I don't mind if a law enforcement officer asks questions after a legitimate contact of whatever nature. You can choose to interact like an adult, jump up and beat your chest how you did nothing wrong, not talk or just lie. Either way if you aren't comfortable with how it went then by all means do some follow up at the police station.

There was this law enforcement officer in Oklahoma many years ago. He made a traffic stop for expired/improper license plate or something trivial along those lines. Either way it was a legitimate stop. Noticed a bulge in the guys jacket during their interaction and ultimately arrested him for carrying a concealed weapon. Turns out the guy he arrested was Timothy McVeigh the Oklahoma City bomber. I think we can agree it's good that cop didn't just write a no license plate ticket and drive away. Even after McVeigh was arrested the cop didn't know he was the bombing suspect until a day or two later. So yes, I'm ok with extra dialogue between cop and driver. It's really no big deal if you aren't doing anything wrong other than rolling through that stop sign.

Now for that other super long stop by the Ranger on the FSR or whatever with the guy in his Jeep. Not sure what was going on there. It wouldn't be hard to figure out who the Ranger was. You could always call their office and simply ask what was going on with your stop. Maybe if you got him/her on the phone and asked for an explanation you might find out something to make you feel better about it. They're new or new to that area and not sure of what vehicle can be on what road which I would agree is an issue. Although it is confusing as heck here in Michigan with our atv trails vs ORV routes vs roads vs snowmobile trails. Their in car computer took a dump so they had to make some phone calls etc. Maybe they played candy crush on their phone just to hold you up. Or maybe it would be the 3rd complaint this month about this Ranger and it's time for the boss to act.

I just hope we don't get to a point where folks in law enforcement drive around and do nothing but wait for their next dispatched call.

GHI

Adventurer
Been looking at chest rigs for a while how do you like it? Currently just have a falcon of some sort. I really need to get rid of some holsters. Its getting hard to keep track of them all lol.
Absolutely love the quality of the chest rig. It fits great and I can comfortably wear it with a backpack too. So much of a difference in carrying 2.5 lbs of iron on your chest versus hip. I hardly know it's there. Highly recommend the Diamond D if you find yourself in locations where you wouldn't look too out of place wearing it.

MOguy

Explorer
Just so we're clear I'm not ok with illegal traffic stops or unnecessarily holding people up for an unreasonable amount of time. I know we're getting off track, so this will most likely be my last post on the matter. I'm simply saying I don't mind if a law enforcement officer asks questions after a legitimate contact of whatever nature. You can choose to interact like an adult, jump up and beat your chest how you did nothing wrong, not talk or just lie. Either way if you aren't comfortable with how it went then by all means do some follow up at the police station.

There was this law enforcement officer in Oklahoma many years ago. He made a traffic stop for expired/improper license plate or something trivial along those lines. Either way it was a legitimate stop. Noticed a bulge in the guys jacket during their interaction and ultimately arrested him for carrying a concealed weapon. Turns out the guy he arrested was Timothy McVeigh the Oklahoma City bomber. I think we can agree it's good that cop didn't just write a no license plate ticket and drive away. Even after McVeigh was arrested the cop didn't know he was the bombing suspect until a day or two later. So yes, I'm ok with extra dialogue between cop and driver. It's really no big deal if you aren't doing anything wrong other than rolling through that stop sign.

Now for that other super long stop by the Ranger on the FSR or whatever with the guy in his Jeep. Not sure what was going on there. It wouldn't be hard to figure out who the Ranger was. You could always call their office and simply ask what was going on with your stop. Maybe if you got him/her on the phone and asked for an explanation you might find out something to make you feel better about it. They're new or new to that area and not sure of what vehicle can be on what road which I would agree is an issue. Although it is confusing as heck here in Michigan with our atv trails vs ORV routes vs roads vs snowmobile trails. Their in car computer took a dump so they had to make some phone calls etc. Maybe they played candy crush on their phone just to hold you up. Or maybe it would be the 3rd complaint this month about this Ranger and it's time for the boss to act.

I just hope we don't get to a point where folks in law enforcement drive around and do nothing but wait for their next dispatched call.

It would be great if Officers had more time to drive and less calls. That means less problems.

McVeigh still blew ******** up.
BigAl should not have had his time abused.

Above we had an officer with is ideal scenario, here is mine.

Officer: I pulled you over for speeding
Me: OK
Officer: I need to see your license, registration and insurance.
Me: OK ( I provide them for the Officer)
Officer: (does what he does) and hands them back
Officer: Here is your ticket, buy signing you are not admitting to guilt just saying you will show up at court or pay the fine.
Me: OK and gently take the citation and my paper work.
Officer: Have a nice day.
Me: You to

If you want to engage in ******** chat, fine but if you want more time with me I want something in return, no ticket and please be respectful. I will answer you other questions, I will never be rude, I will show you nothing but respect.

If you have other concerns ask me. Don't assume because I have a bulge in my pant is it is a gun, I might just be happy to see you.

Mike W.

35 years plus holding a CCW. Been pulled over 5 times. Each time I informed the officer I had a legal firearm. Was asked to place it on the passenger seat once. Location 3 times and just a thanks for informing once. I believe informing the officer was a courtesy and it helps to avoid a situation nobody wants to be in..to each their own..

VanWaLife

After trying different holsters with my Ruger LCR and not feeling comfortable, I got a NAA mini revolver in 22 winmag with a holster grip. Yes, the number of situations in which this will be a useful tool is lower than something effective at more than 10 feet. But it disappears tucked into board shorts, so I'm much more likely to actually be carrying it when it matters. I don't leave weapons unsecured in my rig-my primary goal as a gun owner is to never let someone use one of my guns against me, and a secondary goal is to make sure stealing a gun from me is not the easiest way for a criminal to get a gun. So I put a Vaultek VT20I behind the seats in my '85 Xtracab. I have two of these safes, one in the rig and one at home. Love them. In my mind this is a good way to balance the statistics of having an unsecured weapon stolen from my vehicle against the far less likely possibility that I'll need a weapon when I'm not carrying faster than I can get it out of the safe. And there are a great many situations when travelling that I can't carry concealed (in any bar in WA, anywhere in CA, swimming, showering, etc), so it's nice to have a place to lock it up.
IMG_2027.JPGIMG_2028.JPGIMG_2029.JPG

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Officer: I pulled you over for speeding
Me: OK
Officer: I need to see your license, registration and insurance.
Me: OK ( I provide them for the Officer)
Officer: (does what he does) and hands them back
Officer: Here is your ticket, buy signing you are not admitting to guilt just saying you will show up at court or pay the fine.
Me: OK and gently take the citation and my paper work.
Officer: Have a nice day.
Me: You to

With +/- 800,000 Leo's in the US, conducting millions of traffic stops annually this is pretty much how a typical traffic stop goes.......as a matter of fact (and should concern you) a fair number of traffic units don't bother checking the driver/vehicle for wants/warrants prior to issuing and releasing the driver..... otherwise it will slow down the traffic stop.
Makes you wonder how many bad guys, terrorist, suspects, victims got missed?

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Makes you wonder how many bad guys, terrorist, suspects, victims got missed?

Don't kid yourself. LOE's are more clean-up-crew than anything.

And your authoritarian side is showing again.
Presumption of guilt is the LAST thing anyone wants or needs in a traffic stop, beyond the actual (presumed legit) reason for the stop.
Darn that pesky Constitution ;)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

Presumption of guilt is the LAST thing anyone wants or needs in a traffic stop, beyond the actual (presumed legit) reason for the stop.

Glad to see the troll content police are on patrol......

There is so much technically and legally wrong with your post it can't be fixed.

GHI

Adventurer

IdaSHO, my man, I have to disagree with you a little bit. I like what you do and would totally consult or employ you when dealing with my next RV/Camper/overlanding rig. I'd agree a fair amount of uniformed cops are glorified secretaries for insurance reporting purposes (clean up crew).

I'd also add there are some very dedicated men and women who do their best to making the world a better place even if they have to inconvenience a few folks. Here in Michigan we have an A+ team of State Police troopers called Hometown Security. They do those those horse pucky traffic stops all day long. These coppers are authoritarian and I'm here to tell you, as an internet forum poster, they get the job done. They are making major busts for dope, nationwide B&E busts and human trafficking. You are most likely not going to see any of it advertised in the media though.

I've seen some very obtuse postings in this thread. For me, a guy not up to no good, I have no issues. I'd rather the cops were proactive and vigilant in what they were doing.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No worries man.
And I'm not going to disagree with you, as what you say is true.
We have many fine individuals, dedicated to the cause.
That is not up for dispute.

You are misinterpreting my post though... let me explain...

Let take the literal definition of "law enforcement officer", and Ill highlight the important bits.

A law enforcement officer is a government employee who is responsible for the prevention, investigation, apprehension, or detention of individuals suspected or convicted of offenses against the criminal laws...

quoted from here https://definitions.uslegal.com/l/law-enforcement-officer/

*Prevention
*Investigation
*Apprehension
*Detention

Well guess what, only ONE of those 4 listed responsibilities isn't a response to a crime already committed.
That 25% is prevention. The remainder, being 75%, are reactionary to a law already broken. (clean-up)

And understand, I'm not criticizing or complaining about this. Its just how it is, and for very good reason.

People will be people. Relative tot he topic at hand (traffic stop) I've often compared speeders to adulterers...
Once a speeder, always a speeder. It just isn't something that a LEO, or anybody else, can prevent.
So they react, by pulling them over and siting them. (clean-up)

But we also have the law of the land (why I mentioned Constitution) to contend with.
In many ways, this ties the hands of LEOs, but again.... for good reason.
Authoritarian minded folks lean more towards obedience at the expense of personal freedoms.
Fortunately the founding fathers helped to keep that in check.
Without our personal freedoms we have nothing.

BTW, with regards to traffic stuff..... check out what Carson City NV area is doing.
They understand the "once a speeder" mentality, and are physically changing the roads up to discourage speeding.
Roundabouts!

GHI

Adventurer
No worries man.

Let take the literal definition of "law enforcement officer", and Ill highlight the important bits.

*Prevention
*Investigation
*Apprehension
*Detention

Well guess what, only ONE of those 4 listed responsibilities isn't a response to a crime already committed.
That 25% is prevention. The remainder, being 75%, are reactionary to a law already broken. (clean-up)

And understand, I'm not criticizing or complaining about this. Its just how it is, and for very good reason.

People will be people. Relative tot he topic at hand (traffic stop) I've often compared speeders to adulterers...
Once a speeder, always a speeder. It just isn't something that a LEO, or anybody else, can prevent.

But we also have the law of the land (why I mentioned Constitution) to contend with.
Authoritarian minded folks lean more towards obedience at the expense of personal freedoms.

BTW, with regards to traffic stuff..... check out what Carson City NV area is doing.
They understand the "once a speeder" mentality, and are physically changing the roads up to discourage speeding.
Roundabouts!
Understood. Great response. Appreciate it.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
No worries man.

*Prevention
*Investigation
*Apprehension
*Detention

Roundabouts!

First, I apologize if I’ve come across too direct (authoritarian) with my responses regarding the law enforcement profession. Providing objective facts in a non-thoughtful way may sometimes come across that way. I will attempt to be a little more open minded. Which leads me to my only question....

Based on the above post, is this your understanding of how the profession/business of law enforcement works to provide services to the community they serve?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles