Compressed air solution

4wdCamper

What is your compressed air solution for long-term self-reliance?

There are common compressed air solution for:
- 4 wheelers who air-up/air-down their tires before imparting abuse on their vehicles. Solution usually entails ARB compressors or CO2 tanks.
- Rigs with air horns. Usually a compressor pressurizes a tank used to blow trumpets in lieu of an electric horn. Not meant for tires but sometimes used for tires also
- Air springs inflation. Some use an onboard or partable compressor to adjust rear airsprings to changing load.

The world of expedition is similar but different. I don't abuse my 4wd vehicle, just go on extended road trips with some trails from time to time and a popup trailer. I'd like to reliably be able to inflate tires in case I need to. I'm concerned about adding moisture to tires.

What is your solution?

OSV

Adventurer
the solution that will work best for you needs to be tailored to what you personally need... in my case, i'm pumping up beadlocked 37" tires, so i use a york air conditioner out of an american v-8 car as an air compressor... i got it used, with a pre-fabbed mount that needed lots more welding, and a regulator, for $125... i added a tank in back, with 1/2" hose all the way through.

York compressor here as well. Basically same setup as above.Five gallon air tank between frame rails. Regulated quick connect drops at each end of the vehicle. I can air up and equalize all 4 tires at one time. Intermittent air tool usage if needed. Some might think having an air horn unnecessary, but can be used for signalling device if needing help.

Kilby used to a good go to source that has since had some company changes and new company doesn't list much in the way of oba products.

There is a company that has adapted a hefty 12volt motor to York compressor if you wanted a standalone system. I forget the name for the moment.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
ExtremeAire Outback Magnum in the rear cargo area, plumbed to both rock sliders as tanks (about 7 gallons total capacity) with 3/8" air brake line and push connect fittings. On a 120/150psi switch, 200A continuous rated solenoid, 100A fuse, #4 welding cable. Air chuck on a bulkhead fitting in the rear bumper. Fills a 34" tire from 15psi to 40psi in about 70 seconds.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
That's a hulk of a heat sink on top. Must have great thermal efficiency.

Thats a 1/3 gallon integrated tank with cooling fins to cool the air before it enters a hose. Pretty nice design really - I wish mine had it. Every hose I attached to the Extreme Aire would burst within 30 seconds of use from the heat and pressure until I added a stainless braided leader hose to an aluminum manifold which acts like a heat sink. Compressing air creates heat - there's no way around it. Ever heard of a diesel engine?

4wdCamper

Thats a 1/3 gallon integrated tank with cooling fins to cool the air before it enters a hose. Pretty nice design really - I wish mine had it. Every hose I attached to the Extreme Aire would burst within 30 seconds of use from the heat and pressure until I added a stainless braided leader hose to an aluminum manifold which acts like a heat sink. Compressing air creates heat - there's no way around it. Ever heard of a diesel engine?

Usually postcoolers on compressors include a dessicant or water collection device to prevent water condensed during cooling (in radiator or heatsink) to enter the circuit. Is there a way to remove water from the intercooler/tank?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Usually postcoolers on compressors include a dessicant or water collection device to prevent water condensed during cooling (in radiator or heatsink) to enter the circuit. Is there a way to remove water from the intercooler/tank?
Whatever Warn did in their design of this unit, it works. There is no tank drain for the intercooler, but there is a gizmo on the inlet side that looks like a brass sponge or filter. I think that allows the tank to vent moisture before it enters the air hose. I have never noticed any moisture coming from the hose end when I'm using a blow gun to dust stuff off. Best thing about this unit, other than lots of air flow at 100% duty cycle, is that it is completely self-contained. Just bolt it down, connect leads to battery, and you are good to go. The red rotary switch allows me to positively disconnect it from the battery.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles