Composting Toilet Tips and Tricks

Ramdough

Adventurer
Yep just not as cool
Kevin

Even though my wife can poop in the woods with the best of them...... I think she would appreciate not having to cover her own poop in a camper toilet. That is leaning me towards making a push button stirrer. The only drawback I see is having a dirty stir rod when dumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
Even though my wife can poop in the woods with the best of them...... I think she would appreciate not having to cover her own poop in a camper toilet. That is leaning me towards making a push button stirrer. The only drawback I see is having a dirty stir rod when dumping.

Should be easy enough to build. Maybe have 2 buckets till the other one is completely dry?
Kevin

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Nice report..... just a few questions....

Is there a “P trap” (Not Pee trap) between the toilet and the yellow tank? Just curious if one would be necessary to keep smells down.

Looks like you have a tank vent or overflow..... is that what it is for?

I was thinking of building my own toilet with a different design. My thought was to have the sink drain outlet go to the urine funnel to wash the sides a little each time you wash your hands. Any down side to this anyone can see?

Also, I was planning on having one tank that collects from the kitchen sink, shower, urine, and bathroom sink. Any down side to not keeping urine completely separate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How's this for a timely reply to your questions. Sorry I didn't have notifications on so never knew that this topic was getting replies until I just happened to look at it for some reason. I'm assuming you've been using your completed composting toilet for years now so these answers are for others who might stumble across this thread.

I just have a bend in the tubing underneath the truck between the toilet and the p tank which acts as enough of a p-trap and yes you definitely need one. I've had a few instances where I did some off-roading and that tube drained and did have some smells inside from the tank.

You are correct that is a vent on the yellow tank and primarily to keep the tank dribbling outside rather than inside if it gets too full.

Having the sink drain into the toilet drain is a great idea. I use a spray bottle and spray a mixture of soap vinegar and water after every use to make sure there's no buildup or odor in the toilet itself. Although I have a gray water tank and a yellow tank I usually dump them at the same time and I see no reason why they can't go into the same tank the gray tank smells horribly and I can't imagine it getting any worse if after it sits in the heat for a while.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Well,

I know I am revising an old thread, but It looks like C-head is out of business.

I have not yet built my toilet as I had a bunch of delays. Now started considering just buying one and C-head…. My top choice, is no more.

Jackem

Well,

I know I am revising an old thread, but It looks like C-head is out of business.

I have not yet built my toilet as I had a bunch of delays. Now started considering just buying one and C-head…. My top choice, is no more.

Recently installed the Ogo toilet. Because of the small space I have to work with in my Hallmark camper it was the only one that fit. After the first month of use we're happy with it. Emptying the pee bottle and solids container is easy. So far I'm using coconut coir with no problems.

DzlToy

Explorer

A Wrappon Trekker using some backpacker's poo gel and a heating element to seal the bag should not be rocket science to build.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I thought about making one with tiller blades think blender. After talking to my buddy dzl from above I think the c head with sawdust is a great design but I want to modify to turn from below using a 90 deg drill attachment and have a trigger up top to turn it till the smell goes away. I will be experimenting. Another thought is use a dryflush with my diverting toilet but the bags are so expensive. Also I found a funnel that I can stick in the diverter and it acts like a urinal. Not sure if I can coat with rainx it or not.Here is my toilet parts.
KevinView attachment 547642

Did you ever make the stirrer? Any updates?

Ramdough

Adventurer
Found this guy…. His parts seam affordable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles