Composting Toilet — Report on 8 months full time usage

magentawave

Adventurer
Since this toilet isn't composting the poop anyway, why not just build a simple sawdust toilet like the "Humanure" guy talks about that you can build for $50.00? Thats what I'm going to build for my rig.

Last edited:

NEPolarbear

Observer
Thoughts on the link below?
Looking to build out an ambulance as a traveling office / rv with a shower.
This might make a good toilet.

http://www.dry-flush.com/[/URL]

Sagestone

Observer
I have just read this entire thread and would like to add my humble opinion...I have studied all of the above mentioned alternatives to human waste accumulation and disposal methods. I can only conclude that for RV's, your choice should address your needs based upon your rig's space, power and water requirements, number of travelers, your intended travel path, time off the grid, and the disposal customs of those areas you intend to frequent. From Europe's cassette friendly dump environment to the 'dump stations' of the U.S. Southwest region to anything else in-between, dumping the final product varies greatly. For example, two of us, planning to frequent the U.S. southwest full-time in what is termed an 'expedition rv' obviously intend to camp in a dispersed fashion as much as possible. Our objective target comfort time in one area is at least 2 weeks and up to 1 month (with thoughtful rationing of supplies). One must then break camp and seek out a re-supply location (diesel, food, water, process laundry etc) before once again venturing off the asphalt. Our extensive conventional rv travel in our intended zone proved to us that there are plenty of dump stations as well as State Parks, National Parks, private campgrounds in which to accomplish safe disposal and plenty of opportunities for re-supply. Couple that with suv type 4x4 desert travel and primitive camping which proved to us that their are alternatives like pit toilets. Therefore, for our expedition rig we intend to incorporate (or purchase) the system that ATW uses for their brand new Global Warrior. China toilet comfort, low water flush, macerator pump to a black tank of moderate size (22 gal.), and no messy gravity dump as a second macerator pump delivers waste to a leak proof cam-lock fitting. You connect a 35' flat hose that is housed on a simple reel (on which I intend to install) a ball-valve type hose end control so that we can dump at dump stations with ease, and at pit toilets as well. Should we choose to attempt to dump at places set up for cassette style dumping, we can pull out our own wheeled dump container and fill it in a controlled fashion from our system and wheel it just like a cassette into those places. I hope that our planned solution and methodology is a help for other traveler's. Regards, Dean

dlh62c

Explorer
Therefore, for our expedition rig we intend to incorporate (or purchase) the system that ATW uses for their brand new Global Warrior. China toilet comfort, low water flush, macerator pump to a black tank of moderate size (22 gal.), and no messy gravity dump as a second macerator pump delivers waste to a leak proof cam-lock fitting. You connect a 35' flat hose that is housed on a simple reel (on which I intend to install) a ball-valve type hose end control so that we can dump at dump stations with ease, and at pit toilets as well. Should we choose to attempt to dump at places set up for cassette style dumping, we can pull out our own wheeled dump container and fill it in a controlled fashion from our system and wheel it just like a cassette into those places. I hope that our planned solution and methodology is a help for other traveler's.

Dean

You've been talking up your future purchase of a ATW Global Warrior lately.

Are you really certain Sportsmobile is going to use the EXACT same components as ATW?

Sagestone

Observer
Dean

You've been talking up your future purchase of a ATW Global Warrior lately.

Are you really certain Sportsmobile is going to use the EXACT same components as ATW?
No, I am not certain, however, the All Terrain Warriors U.S. website http://allterrainwarriors.com/products.html defines the Sportsmobile ATW approach as offering an 'Alpha' rig, which pictures the new GW, as well as their own design intended body, the 'bravo' edition. ATW Oz said that they are mirroring the internal molds for LH drive but time will tell as far as internal detailed component choices. Regards, Dean

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Old thread I know but fascinating reading :)

I have a question for anyone with a Nature's head. How big is the hole through into the base unit? I ask because I do not plan to put the paper into a separate container and I know for a fact that it never goes down the hole in a Thetford without some help from the flushing water.

As flushing water is not really in the spirit of things (and I don't want to use a stick) the size if the whole is of paramount importance to my decision.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Since this toilet isn't composting the poop anyway, why not just build a simple sawdust toilet like the "Humanure" guy talks about that you can build for $50.00? Thats what I'm going to build for my rig.

I've used sawdust toilet and a variety of composting (really should be called "collection") type toilets for many years and there is a difference. The key is the urine diversion - with the normal sawdust / bucket toilet approach you need to add a lot of sawdust to absorb the liquids - with the air-head/natures-head/c-head urine diverting toilets the amount of sawdust or peatmoss used is much lower and there is a stirring device which is used to mix the solids with it to help with covering it - a crank handle is used.

Keeping the liquid and solids separate lets them sit around for a surprising long time without any odors or flies - with the combined waste of a sawdust bucket method you really need to empty it much more often or it can get stinky.

The biggest issue I see with the sawdust bucket approach is storing enough sawdust in a vehicle. Peat moss is compacted so that is an option - but still would need more volume than with the urine diverting system.

There isn't much involved with these types of toilets - check out the "c-head" type which can be fairly easily self made to fit into the available space of a vehicle.

One additional option I've considered is plumbing the urine diverting into a gray water tank to allow longer intervals between having to dump it - the sink water also would dilute the urine to reduce potential problems with dumping it in natural areas (when reasonable to do so...)

4x4BNB

Adventurer
When it comes to dumping the solids....I believe it's been asked but, I don't think it's been addressed yet....
Why is dumping the solids from these separating, "composting", toilets any different than digging a hole a burying it???
Or dumping the solids into a "vault" style toilet found at many state and natl camps?

madmax718

Explorer
I would believe that if you actually allowed it to compost before burrying it, your breaking down the fecal waste into something that is more "digestable" in a shorter amount of time.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I'm currently deciding on weather to use a composting toilet or not for our new design, I've been using cassettes for years, they are smaller and I don't have to store any extra material (ie the peat moss), in a small rig that's important.

In the bush the emptying is no problem, just dig a hole, like I say I've been doing it every few days for years (we live full time in a truck), but when you want to stay with friends in their driveway for two weeks it becomes an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles