Composite Sandwich Panel Extrusion Connector Sources....

BrettMavriK

Hello,
I am building my own Foam Core FRP Skinned Composite Sandwich Panels for my RV camper build.
I am having difficulty in finding a good source in the United States for Fiberglass or Aluminum Extrusion Wall Connectors.
I would like to find a curved 90 degree connector to round out the edges of the camper box.
any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

-B

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Such are manufactured by the companies to work with their panels only.

afaik there's no generic stuff to support DIYers, you have to learn how to DIY them.

Or look for connectors available, get them in stock, and make your panels to fit maybe?

Hummelator

Adventurer
The other option is to contact a company that does extrusions.
When I was building my trailer, I contacted a company and they said they had a $1500 die fee plus you needed to order something like $1000 worth of extrusion.
For what I was doing, I could make due with other methods

BrettMavriK

So, what if one were to pick a store bought panel, say Foamular 250, some common frp smooth roll for skins to epoxy and make a sandwich panel in their garage;
Just some common, easy to acquire materials for the DIY'er.... Seems all he would need is a source for extrusion to make him complete on his quest to fulfill his endeavor.
What if he could generate enough interest on a common sandwich panel thickness, and gather this interest to an extrusion manufacturer, and form a "group buy" scenario for the
first order, and then start a business selling extrusion in the U.S. strictly for the Do-It-Yourself people; thus, solving the last obstacle for DIY Camper Box builders to attain the professional result they desire? Thoughts and Input, Please.....
I am currently working with an extrusion manufacturer on this very scenario.
drop shipping may also be a possibility. What I need is input from all of you, to come up with the sandwich panel core of choice, along with the skin of choice, to arrive at the panel thickness for extrusion to be manufactured. The best scenario for materials, would be for the DIY'er to get his foam core and FRP roll LOCALLY to him or her. This would save on the immense shipping costs that skyrockets the build costs. Then he or she could order this extrusion we have developed and their beautifully constructed, professional looking composite RV Camper is built all by themselves and ready for all the other appointments to finish their dream to reality.
Thoughts?

'Power To The People!'

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

I can in the coming months. Mine are all bent 14 guage with connecting corners
Kevin

Okay, so you are just talking about some "angle" here?
I'm referring to EXTRUSION.
Do you have some Photos?

I'm referring to Channel Extrusion, rounded corners, end corner caps, etc., that captures the edge of the composite panel completely on both sides.
I'm looking to make channel not unlike the nice pieces that some companies make for their complete kits but do not sell outright.

Last edited:

BrettMavriK

Nope......NOT what I'm referring to.
So far, I don't like where my thread is going.
I may have to start a new one, and let this one die.

BrettMavriK

I'm referring to Channel Extrusion, rounded corners, end corner caps, etc., that captures the edge of the composite panel completely on both sides.
I'm looking to make channel not unlike the nice pieces that some companies make for their complete kits but do not sell outright.

jwiereng

So, what if one were to pick a store bought panel, say Foamular 250, some common frp smooth roll for skins to epoxy and make a sandwich panel in their garage;
Just some common, easy to acquire materials for the DIY'er.... Seems all he would need is a source for extrusion to make him complete on his quest to fulfill his endeavor.
What if he could generate enough interest on a common sandwich panel thickness, and gather this interest to an extrusion manufacturer, and form a "group buy" scenario for the
first order, and then start a business selling extrusion in the U.S. strictly for the Do-It-Yourself people; thus, solving the last obstacle for DIY Camper Box builders to attain the professional result they desire? Thoughts and Input, Please.....
I am currently working with an extrusion manufacturer on this very scenario.
drop shipping may also be a possibility. What I need is input from all of you, to come up with the sandwich panel core of choice, along with the skin of choice, to arrive at the panel thickness for extrusion to be manufactured. The best scenario for materials, would be for the DIY'er to get his foam core and FRP roll LOCALLY to him or her. This would save on the immense shipping costs that skyrockets the build costs. Then he or she could order this extrusion we have developed and their beautifully constructed, professional looking composite RV Camper is built all by themselves and ready for all the other appointments to finish their dream to reality.
Thoughts?

'Power To The People!'

I will vote for 2 inch panel thickness

4x4sporty

Look through this and see if you can find what you are looking for I thought a bought using there F channel on a similar project

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles