Composite Door Jamb Material (Now Custom Entry Door)

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Slow progress but I have found a source for my window pane and I can even get a roller blind included! I am awaiting the response for the KCT lockset but once that happens I will have all my parts lined up and I can start ordering.

the warping comes from the temperature differences ( inside of camper-outside temps). I can’t give away our secret sauce but you need something in the door to stiffen it up.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Luckily I have made a couple of friends over our sailing years that own fiberglass boat building companies. I have sent an email to one of them asking his thoughts about the door panel construction relating to warpage. He makes a really nice one for his custom power cats but unfortunately it is not the correct size and making a new mold is the time consuming bit.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
After sleeping on it I remembered that for stiffening a boat hull you can glass in fiberglass/foam beams. You can either do it DIY or use prefab ones like Prisma Composites Preform Beams - Boat Builder Central . Pretty sure building in a limited grid of these beams, filling that gaps with foam panels will be very strong and resistant to warping. Along with the Z shaped edge to the door (which will act as a bit of a beam) I am hoping it will work.

WildernessSV

Definitely interested to see how you build and solve this.
I’ve been searching for a double door style “hatch” for the back of my build and think I may have to just build it.

Any pics of the process would be great for us visually minded!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Definitely interested to see how you build and solve this.
I’ve been searching for a double door style “hatch” for the back of my build and think I may have to just build it.

Any pics of the process would be great for us visually minded!
I will try and remember to take a few pics along the way. Since we are full time on the road, I am planning one building it in a friend's shop. He just let me know he now has a vacuum bagging setup. Never used one before but should be fun to try out.

I haven't heard back from the shop selling the KCT lockset but I have another lockset source that has agreed to sell one, actually the same shop that is supplying the window/shade. Just waiting on the quote including shipping costs. Once I get that I will start to order a few parts up.

Those internal stringers are probably overkill for this application (they are designed to stiffen fiberglass boat hulls) but they should remove any chance of warping. Plus the window frame will also act as a stiffener as it will also be stepped as I plan on mounting the glass from the inside.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
This project is starting to get closer. I have ordered the 3 point locks and handles along with a thermal pane pressure compensated window from Europe. Full length stainless heavy duty piano hinge is on order from a company in the USA and I am working on the resin, fiberglass and core foam order.

So, does anyone know if when these kinds of doors are installed in a composite panel wall if the edge of the panel is reinforced? I am wondering if I should hollow out the foam core on both vertical edges and then bond in hardwood with epoxy resin, effectively tying the inside/outside fiberglass skins together. My plan is to build the frame and install the new door exactly like our current aluminum framed door. The one difference though is I will build an interior trim ring that will screw to the outside frame clamping the frame around the wall panel.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
This project is starting today! Most of all my materials have arrived, enough to get the door started. The 3 point lock and double pane glass looks great, which were the most difficult items to source for this door. I have decided to build the door with the plywood/hardwood/foam before I start to fiberglass the outside. I wanted to tie the inside and outside skins together on the sides with fiberglass and couldn't come up with a great way to do that, along with having the internal foam beam glassed to the outside skin.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I decided to continue updates to this thread on my main build thread found here. The project is underway and there are pictures in my main thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles