Composite box on E350?

b. rock

Poking around, I don't see anyone that's done a composite body/box on a van platform, specifically and E350. I really like the passthrough of a van plus the efficiency of the van cab packaging vs the long engine bay of a truck. I could always just get a box truck, but a composite box has much more appeal for several reasons. Is there a project that I'm just not seeing? Bonus points for a pop top. Basically a bigger, better, Tiger Astro van.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
The E series will be phased out... I would go with a more fuel efficient modern Transit cab Chassis. We should have ours in a couple days!

Attachments

• Transit cab chassis cut away .jpg
    Transit cab chassis cut away .jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 45
  • ford-transit-4x4-wohnmobil-batari-extrem.jpg
    ford-transit-4x4-wohnmobil-batari-extrem.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 46

b. rock

I'm aware the e-series is a dinosaur, but if I already have a 4x4 E-series, it's immensely more cost efficient to just continue the build vs buying a $50k awd Transit. Especially since since I really like having 4 low, lockers, and 35s on solid axles. They're not apples to apples. I'll be damned if that Transit with the camper doesn't look pretty good though.

Yes to the flatbed part especially so it separates it from the cab. Haven't seen many done though, really just V4 from Ujoint. Would love to repurpose an F350 flatbed but I'm thinking that might be a fool's errand based on wheel well locations.

DzlToy

Explorer
Sportsmobile has been purchasing chassis cab E-Series vans for a few years now and currently builds a "van body look-a-like" that is slightly wider than the OEM cargo van.

If I recall correctly, this is simply a fiberglass shell and based on what I personally saw at OvEx West, I would not pay 30 grand for one, much less the 200K they were asking.

A composite SIP box for chassis cabs and cutaways would be awesome. We know there are enough van-lifers out there to support the market.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Sportsmobile has been purchasing chassis cab E-Series vans for a few years now and currently builds a "van body look-a-like" that is slightly wider than the OEM cargo van.

If I recall correctly, this is simply a fiberglass shell and based on what I personally saw at OvEx West, I would not pay 30 grand for one, much less the 200K they were asking.

A composite SIP box for chassis cabs and cutaways would be awesome. We know there are enough van-lifers out there to support the market.

You are correct. The interest on the cab chassis campers is certainly increasing with major outfitters looking into that option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior