Compos with 285/60/18 for LR4?

H3Hrly

Fellow Rovers,

BLUF: will 285/60/18 Toyo Open Country RT (https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires) fit a 2016 LR4 HSE HD using PD1881 Compomotive Wheels?

Any concerns with that size (i.e., rubbing at max steering—forward or reverse; impedes max articulation; vehicle won’t move in limp mode; using snow ‘chains’; modifications required/recommended; fits spare with near max deflation)?

It’s time for new tires. However, I’m considering purchasing the Compomotive wheels and these tires. But thought it wise to ask experts first. I did research the forum and found great information (ar4me’s & victory_overland’s thread). Still, I’m seeking the “warm fuzzy”. From what I gather, the 285/60/18 is a 31.46” tire. I believe this tire size and wheel combo will work.

If this is a bad combo, then I’m looking at keeping the OEM wheels and purchasing the Michelin 255/50/20 Defender LTX. Or is there a better all-around tire for the OEM wheel size (275/55/20 perhaps)? Well, I guess I wouldn’t reject KO2s in the 265/65/18s.

I live in Colorado Springs...well, actually just west of there in the mountains. Looking for tires to perform well in rain, snow, off-road (nothing like rock crawling, but “FUN” exploring), with decent to good on-road mannerisms, as this is also my DD. I had Toyo MTs in past on my H3 and loved them. I’m thinking the RTs will be a great choice too.

Oh, and TPMS. I will need to order 5 at 433Mhz. Is that right? Or can/should I use my current set? Does it matter who I order through (i.e., CARiD; TPMS Direct)?

Thanks y’all! Have a great weekend.

-Ben

PS. Long-term goal is to add TR front & rear bumpers and sliders; GAP Tool. :)

Since you plan to swap out wheels, maybe run the Compos for a bit and sell the 20's and look to buy LR 18's and put tires on those. You'll have a much better set of options with two sets of 18's to chose from and not to mention how much cheaper and better options of tires you will have to chose from.

My daily driver set of wheels, regardless of diameter size will be BFG KO2. I have Nitto on my 18's now and do not suggest ever taking them off-road! I get more durability out of the box of Kleenex I have in the back seat! My other vehicles all had BFG and not sure why I ever thought of another tire. Yes, I am bias on BFGs...lol

I do not run TPMS in my 17's because when I air down I get a light anyway so no point. My TPMS light goes out as soon as I park next to or put the 18s on.

H3Hrly

Since you plan to swap out wheels, maybe run the Compos for a bit and sell the 20's and look to buy LR 18's and put tires on those. You'll have a much better set of options with two sets of 18's to chose from and not to mention how much cheaper and better options of tires you will have to chose from.

My daily driver set of wheels, regardless of diameter size will be BFG KO2. I have Nitto on my 18's now and do not suggest ever taking them off-road! I get more durability out of the box of Kleenex I have in the back seat! My other vehicles all had BFG and not sure why I ever thought of another tire. Yes, I am bias on BFGs...lol

I do not run TPMS in my 17's because when I air down I get a light anyway so no point. My TPMS light goes out as soon as I park next to or put the 18s on.
VO...? LOL (Kleenex). Great inputs - thank you ?. I am still thinking thru if I want TPMS.

Jwestpro

Explorer
That size is crap. Had it first many yrs ago. Best size period on 18” wheels is 265/65-18. You don’t gain anything useful on the 285/60 but you do get tighter clearances which is not what anyone wants.

The more square section ratio of the 265/65 also provides noticeably more stable high speed and overloaded handling due to less deformation side to side during weight shifts.

Also, if you’re going through the trouble for an off roading tire and plan to actually use it, just go ahead and get the E load range. Your vehicle is already close to 6000 lbs with fuel and a few people before adding any aftermarket stuff. E range sidewalls are more durable.

Follow up with your solution and photos for people ;)

naks

I also ran 265/65r18 BFGs on Compos on my previous D4.

Well worth it, but the road noise was a bit unbearable

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

merr1ca

Jwestpro got it right. 265/65R18 load E. 285/60/R18 is an awkward size and I bet you would have some clearance issues at full lock. LR4' wheel wells have less clearance than the LR3. I run 275/65/R18's right now and they're a pain. Also too wide and offer poor directional stability in mud/snow.

This topic has been beaten to death and the winner is always 265/65R18 with a load E tire. You gain absolutely nothing by going larger. Lr3's seam to be able to get away with some bigger stuff, but that takes a ton of work.

Also, Compo's are the only way to go for an 18" wheel on the LR4. Spacers and OEM LR3 wheels do work, but add a ton of stress to the suspension. (This is what I run, would not recommend)

VO...? LOL (Kleenex). Great inputs - thank you ?. I am still thinking thru if I want TPMS.

Yes, TPMS is really a personal preference and I like to have it on the daily set because of highway speeds and general wear; I honestly do not check tire pressure everyday unless I'm on the trail so TPMS helps keep me honest in case I slip up on my weekly checks. My off-road set it just didn't make sense for me on the extra cost since my goal for those was to be aired down most of the time they are in use and I am checking pressures twice a day at a minimum.

Also, Compo's are the only way to go for an 18" wheel on the LR4. Spacers and OEM LR3 wheels do work, but add a ton of stress to the suspension. (This is what I run, would not recommend)

Ah yes, I forgot, a spacer is required for 18" install on your LR4 in which case I would surely save my pennies for two sets of Compos if I wanted two sets of rubber. As bias as I am for BFG's, I am also as bias as it gets for going against spacer install.

H3Hrly

That size is crap. Had it first many yrs ago. Best size period on 18” wheels is 265/65-18. You don’t gain anything useful on the 285/60 but you do get tighter clearances which is not what anyone wants.

The more square section ratio of the 265/65 also provides noticeably more stable high speed and overloaded handling due to less deformation side to side during weight shifts.

Also, if you’re going through the trouble for an off roading tire and plan to actually use it, just go ahead and get the E load range. Your vehicle is already close to 6000 lbs with fuel and a few people before adding any aftermarket stuff. E range sidewalls are more durable.

Follow up with your solution and photos for people ;)
Jwesypro, great inputs. You gave me more to chew on (stability of square section, E load range) as I research options. THX! ? I am a slow processor of information. But I got few weeks until I return home and purchase tires.

H3Hrly

Jwestpro got it right. 265/65R18 load E. 285/60/R18 is an awkward size and I bet you would have some clearance issues at full lock. LR4' wheel wells have less clearance than the LR3. I run 275/65/R18's right now and they're a pain. Also too wide and offer poor directional stability in mud/snow.

This topic has been beaten to death and the winner is always 265/65R18 with a load E tire. You gain absolutely nothing by going larger. Lr3's seam to be able to get away with some bigger stuff, but that takes a ton of work.

Merr1ca, gotcha. Ok, I just looked at a comparison. Aaahhh, the 285s are .8” wider. Hhmmmm. Great input ?

Attachments

• 1536087447013.png
    1536087447013.png
    602.7 KB · Views: 15

H3Hrly

As an update, I made the wheel purchase last night ?. Got 5 compo wheels. Holy crud those aren’t cheap. ??

Based on 285s I was looking at Tire Pros or Les Schwab. But now I gotta rethink tire size.

Jwestpro

Explorer
As an update, I made the wheel purchase last night ?. Got 5 compo wheels. Holy crud those aren’t cheap. ??

Based on 285s I was looking at Tire Pros or Les Schwab. But now I gotta rethink tire size.

Glad to hear you got the compos. It's the "right" thing to do on the lr4 - no question. What many people don't consider is how spacers, even just the 1"/25mm pushes the tire so far out you lose a ton of clearance that you'd rather save for a taller tire. The compos have only a centimeter or so extra offset. I was surprised when I looked them up one time because I assumed it must be similar to the smaller spacer.

Trust us, with no mods, you want to just get the 265/65x18, period, and I will mock you publicly if you go wider then mention ANY issues later on ;)

However, with mods, you could go to the next ideal size which is 275/65x18 almost 32" and only slightly wider due to the proportional increase. Or next would be even taller 265/70x18 which is probably close to 32.5" because 275/70x18 is right around 33" and my bfg km2 285/70x18 are just under 34".

You'll still need to do the wiring loom relocation mod in front driver side wheel well along frame near height sensor. Basically you need to gain some slack in the loom by undoing other contact points, pulling it upward and resecuring. The left inside edge of tire scrubs to frame right where it was sitting at 100% left lock.

To be CLEAR, anything taller than 265/65x18 REQUIRES:
1- rear fender liner "bulge" flattening mod due to when the tires compress into fender liner area.
2-front frame horn modifications for turning

When those are done, the 32" 275/65x18 fits perfectly with no rubs. Factory bumpers may cause other issues sooner, but I think mostly it's also above 265/65x18 size.

ar4me

Adventurer
Having about 35k miles on my LR4 with 18” compos I wish I had explored grinding just a tad of the “ear-protrusions” of the calipers. The fit is real tight, mms, and although clearing statically, it looks like with flexing under load there is a chance of (minimal) contact - I see some marks on the rims. My 10-ply Coopers have done well, still plenty of life, and they have seen A LOT of off-roading and rocks, Mojave, CA Discovery Trail, Moab, Canyonlands Needles District (Elephant Hill, Bobby’s Hole) and from Island in the Sky White Rim Rd, Colorado Black Bear Pass, Imogene, Alpine Loop, ...

Oh, and my 275/65-18 tire size did rub particular when new constant with post above!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles