Completing an "incomplete" vehicle (Cab/Chassis, Cutaway)

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Split off from here to prevent a hijack...

So I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a new Ford Cab Chassis or Cutaway on which I'd like to mount a DIY camper box. As you probably know, these vehicles are shipped from Ford as "Incomplete" vehicles, with the intention of being sent to a Final Stage Manufacturer to have the box/flatbed/whatever mounted and the associated paperwork produced.

When I called the state (TN) to see what it would take to get it registered, they said it cannot be registered until it's "completed". Since it's never going to be sent to a Final Stage Manufacturer, this presents a problem. I assume TN isn't the only state that feels this way.

So how are people handling this problem? Is it possible to legally "complete" the vehicle (and paperwork) as a DIYer? Or do I have to buy a box truck/flatbed/whatever and start from there?

Based upon your post above all you did was CALL the State of Tennessee.

Go down to your local County Clerk office, present the title for your "Incomplete Vehicle", pay your sales tax, git your license tag and title in the mail.

I doubt very seriously that the clerk will pay any attention to anything "incomplete".

What have ya got to lose giving it a go?

NOTHING!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Based upon your post above all you did was CALL the State of Tennessee.

Go down to your local County Clerk office, present the title for your "Incomplete Vehicle", pay your sales tax, git your license tag and title in the mail.

I doubt very seriously that the clerk will pay any attention to anything "incomplete".

NOTHING!

Also, maybe even easier... if you have AAA, go to your local AAA office and do it there.

My local AAA office took all of 15 minutes to do the paperwork to convert my last setup to an RV.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Also, maybe even easier... if you have AAA, go to your local AAA office and do it there.

My local AAA office took all of 15 minutes to do the paperwork to convert my last setup to an RV.

AAA has nothing to do with vehicle registration in the State of Tennessee. That seems to be a California thing!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Here is what you will find in your driver side door jam. 1. is from Ford 2. is from the final stage manufacturer

Attachments

• incomplete tag.jpg
    incomplete tag.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 66
  • incomplete tag02.jpg
    incomplete tag02.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 67

Joey G

It was actually my local county clerk who refused first. Then they consulted with the state themselves and confirmed they wouldn't register it.

NOTHING!
It hasn't been purchased yet, pending some reasonable assurance I can actually register and drive it.

That being said, it's entirely possible I got ahold of people who just felt it's easier to say "no" rather than fully investigate the issue. This thread is part of the information gathering process to go back armed with better information. Given that TN will let you register and operate a Polaris RZR or other side by side on the road, it's hard to imagine they're sticklers over a chassis cab.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Adventurer
What you need to do is research TN law on this or consult an attorney.

You start by checking with some of the local contractors because it not uncommon to by a new chassis and just swap the beds.

Every truck that I have, or driven, that started out as a cab and chassis has that tag on it and there is no issue in CA.

If we change a trucks class say put a dump bed on a semi tractor it just requires a vin verification form to change the title.

If we tear a truck down to the frame and rebuild it using new parts and used parts from multiple vehicles there is no paperwork unless the class or weight is changed

Daviticus

I’m curious what (of any) paper trail follows a finished “incomplete” truck. My NPR has the original incomplete data tag and what’s left of the (hand-written!) builder tag from 1995 that is almost completely blank from years of use and abuse as a lawn care equipment hauler. It has been registered privately here in Utah by at least three owners before me, in addition to being used commercially intrastate, so I’d imagine either there’s a record kept somewhere or it legitimately doesn’t matter after the initial sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles