Comparison shopping: Colorado, Gladiator, Tacoma

docwatson

Adventurer
In other news that may or may not be off topic, the GM strike is finally over. Hopefully tomorrow something happens and I get a projected build week or whatever it is that happens next.
I think its better to get the vehicle built after the strike ended than the last one off the assembly line before the strike started. I am sure that one was put together with highest concern and quality in mind.

nickw

Adventurer
So just in case this interesting thread continues to live on after the OP’s purchase....maybe it would be useful to add a bit more about the Ranger into this comparison mix for other members who are going through the mid sized truck decision process themselves.

In that case, here is a new article about the long term (such as it is) test results of the Ranger:

2019 Ford Ranger Long-Termer Update
Boost is very good

The transmission is less good

I've owned one 12,000 miles and I partially agree with this....I usually just knock it down into "sport" mode which really livens up how it drives and the comment about it "revving" too much in sport is a bit lost on me, it rarely goes over 3-4k RPM's and is still sitting around 2k in normal hwy driving. It is a bit clunky I've noticed at times, it def drives like a "truck".....but in todays age we've all come to expect perfection, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but can see how it could some that expect it to drive like an Audi or Ridgeline.

spectre6000

Observer
I finally got confirmation that GM has accepted the order (made it in the 2500 allocation), and a build week has been assigned. I don't know what that week IS exactly though... This is a new salesman and his first time ordering a vehicle, so we're both learning...

jgallo1

Adventurer
Admittedly,
I have not read all 27 pages of this thread but I think I have the gist. I am alittle late to this party.
I dont think I need to go into the 3rd gen tacoma complaints, I have them. I sold mine after 6 months. I am back to a 1st gen tacoma.

I am always looking and just generally interested in what is happening. Trucks have come a long way in the last 20yrs, so have our needs. I get it , I love the simplicity of the older vehicles. When I am back on the farm driving a mid 90's power stroke diesel in the mud/snow its awesome. When I have to drive from on a modern HWY, I enjoy the modern auto ergonomics. I also feel safer, just me.

I have been interested in the modern midsize, Like everyone else, I would love a small reliable diesel. I say that b/c 2 people I know with 2017-2018 ford and Ram diesels have had nothing but trouble. I am talking where your new truck is in the shop for days at a time.

I have read that alot people have been having trouble with the Chevy Colorado. Not just cheap material, engine and there was a thread about the frame separating.

I have a good friend who has a global position for a certain auto company based out of Germany. He recently called me and said if I want a modern truck, with a decent price tag buy the ranger.
He said basically "to confirm suspensions" Ford needed to rush out a midsize to stay in the race.They could not get the design and all ratings/testing done so fast. They basically dolled up the T6 and used a tried and true model on the 4cyl turbo. I have not driven one or even sat in one. I can not speak for the ergonomics of the cockpit.
The fx4 seems to have good stats. I know that ARB is going to be releasing bumpers and suspension soon.

I think the Gladiator is a great choice, it definitely has a barrier of entry. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out over the next few yrs.

Minus some road noise and creature comforts, I am going to be sitting pretty in a 1st gen tacoma for alittle while longer.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I have read that alot people have been having trouble with the Chevy Colorado. Not just cheap material, engine and there was a thread about the frame separating.

Yeah, unfortunately you’re probably right.

FWIW, Consumers Reports just listed the top 10 most unreliable vehicles for 2020 and very disappointingly the Canyon/Colorado was on the top of sad that list.

According to CR, “The study was based on surveys of owners of more than 400,000 current-generation vehicles made within the past three years. Those owners evaluated safety systems, vehicle infotainment, engine performance and other aspects of the cars and trucks.”

“10 least reliable models of 2020, according to Consumer Reports:
  • Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon (same body style, different badging)
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Alfa Romeo Giulia
  • Volkswagen Atlas
  • Volkswagen Tiguan
  • Acura MDX
  • Tesla Model X
  • Chrysler Pacifica
  • Chevrolet Traverse “

Last edited:

spectre6000

Observer
10 least reliable models of 2020, according to Consumer Reports:
  • Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon (same body style, different badging)
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Alfa Romeo Giulia
  • Volkswagen Atlas
  • Volkswagen Tiguan
  • Acura MDX
  • Tesla Model X
  • Chrysler Pacifica
  • Chevrolet Traverse
Interesting list. It's notable that the top two have the same engine and transmission with the latter having had some issues through May or so of 2019. I can see why that might be the case. Hopefully the diesel with it's less troublesome transmission inoculate me from those issues (that was a specific research element). Additionally, given that the Gladiator won't be rated for lack of data, but is otherwise a Wrangler I could have done worse. Chevy ranks just above Jeep for reliability as a brand. Eh. My enthusiasm is not tempered, and I still think I made the right choice among the available options. Having driven the Tacoma, that engine is awful and a half, and nothing could convince me to put up with that for as long as I hope to own this truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior