Comparison shopping: Colorado, Gladiator, Tacoma

spectre6000

Observer
I found some time today to makes some phone calls. The fly-and-buy dealers I've seen referred to are Laura Chevrolet, Classic Chevrolet, and Kellogg Chevrolet. Laura won't special order for out of state buyers; maybe the deals on what's in stock are good, and they'll happily pick someone up from the airport, but that's a few steps short of the goal here. Kellogg would special order, and at a decent price, but not enough to cover the plane ticket compared to the bird in the hand (below). Classic Chevrolet would special order, but the price was "market at time of delivery" (so not really trying). Meanwhile, among the Denver dealers, I found one last week who has my exact build en route now. They quoted me a price that wasn't terrible, but also not especially great. A few dealers I called didn't want to really try (market at time of delivery sorts of things). Two are saying they've got an incentive program going where they will order at supplier discount pricing (~$1,300 below invoice). Technically, they all have that option available, they just don't all want to use it... I'm walking down the road with both, and one just had a manager step in and start playing games, so they're pretty much out. I feel bad for the salesman, because his manager just screwed him and me. Waiting to see if the other will give me something I can act on. Supposedly it's coming, but... Dealers like to play games... No bridges yet burned, but none traversed either.

spectre6000

Observer
Just nailed down the deal (if not the exact dollar), and will be making the deposit when I get back in town some time this coming week. About $1300 below invoice! I requested the ability to "clean up the afterbirth", aka remove the protective plastic from the body and seats and such, and essentially clean it up from the transport. Probably a little weird, but I think it'd be pretty neat to "unwrap my present".

shade

Just nailed down the deal (if not the exact dollar), and will be making the deposit when I get back in town some time this coming week. About $1300 below invoice! I requested the ability to "clean up the afterbirth", aka remove the protective plastic from the body and seats and such, and essentially clean it up from the transport. Probably a little weird, but I think it'd be pretty neat to "unwrap my present".
I don't know it they can finish the Pre-Delivery Inspection like that, but if it's still wrapped, you know it hasn't been thrashed by tire kickers.

LimaMikeMike

Observer
VW dealer did that for my Mother when she bought a new Tiguan recently, they called her and asked if she wanted to be around when they took the protective wrapping off. Basically they let her watch and politely asked her to stand clear.

jadmt

ignore button user
at Dennis Dillion this is how picked mine up. I told them not to put dealer decal on either.
934_zpsbjicugd2.jpeg

933_zpszbxyg4zh.jpeg

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Karl Tyler has several Bisons right now. I was there the other day looking. Gas or diesel the big dilemma lol.

For me it’s gas, simply because my drive to work is less than 6 miles one way. My kind of commute would be killer for a diesel. Plus my wife’s ZR2 is averaging 20mpg or better on the highway with less than 3,000 miles on it. I’m sure the diesel is better, but how long does the cost of diesel, maintenance on the diesel, and the bigger price tag for the diesel take before a person breaks even?

jadmt

ignore button user
For me it’s gas, simply because my drive to work is less than 6 miles one way. My kind of commute would be killer for a diesel. Plus my wife’s ZR2 is averaging 20mpg or better on the highway with less than 3,000 miles on it. I’m sure the diesel is better, but how long does the cost of diesel, maintenance on the diesel, and the bigger price tag for the diesel take before a person breaks even?

I personally would go gas too. I really have no interest in diesel and no way is it worth the additional cost both upfront and long term.

Explorerinil

Observer
You won’t break even unless you are in the hundreds of thousands of miles, you buy a diesel if you tow, haul, or simply for the love of them, or a combination of the 3.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So what did you end up going with?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nice job Spectre
I bought Friday night $1000 below invoice then another $2250 incentive on top of that. It had all of 14 miles on it when they dropped it at the house. 2019 Expedition Platinum with the heavy tow package 3.75 rear end. Only have 100 miles on it. Just took 4 pre teens to Volleyball practice. Lol

Best of luck was fun sorta comparing shopping efforts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles