Comparison shopping: Colorado, Gladiator, Tacoma

Cackalak Han

Explorer
For a daily driver I whole heartily agree.

For a toy? I have had a lot of fun building my '85, I wouldn't trade it for any new one sitting on a dealer lot. After 19 years we are pretty well bonded.

My reply was in context of a "do everything" type vehicle that the OP was asking about. For a 3rd vehicle, playtoy, yes, your 85 is great!

spectre6000

Observer
At the risk of being a fanboy, why isn't the Frontier considered here? I know it's "old" but I would consider it a prime candidate for a truck that I wanted to take to 500k. The Pro4x is pretty competent and you can add a front locker and lift to it and still have way more money in your pocket to make it more "expo ready"

V6, not especially capable without significant effort on the build side, not very well equipped in any guise, and it looks about as old as it is in a bad way. Additionally, and possibly most critically, Nissan just announced a 99.X% drop in sales year over year for last quarter, and the entire line has been stagnant for years. I wouldn't suggest anyone buy any Nissan right now for the same reason you wouldn't have suggested anyone buy a Peugeot back in 1991, and that's the prime reason I don't think 500K is going to be easy for a Frontier.

My reply was in context of a "do everything" type vehicle that the OP was asking about. For a 3rd vehicle, playtoy, yes, your 85 is great!

Yes. This will be a do everything DD. My playtoy car is/will be my go-fast car. Probably something with a rotary after having spent time behind or in front of nearly every engine configuration and strategy there is.

I'm sure someone will come to market with a canopy for a Gladiator. I wouldn't let that aspect alone hold me back from one. Drive them all and see which one you like best.

That may be, but until they do, I'll be a bit handicapped re: my usual truck duties. Also, I don't care for the engine, but that's a personal thing. I've driven them all, and I absolutely did not NOT like the Gladiator. It was a distant second on paper going into things, and it closed the gap a bit too well.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That may be, but until they do, I'll be a bit handicapped re: my usual truck duties. Also, I don't care for the engine, but that's a personal thing. I've driven them all, and I absolutely did not NOT like the Gladiator. It was a distant second on paper going into things, and it closed the gap a bit too well.
So is the Bison the current front Runner?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Currently. The Gladiator is #2, and we'll shop the two of them back to back once more before I pull the trigger.
I'm going to guess the Gladiator won't be discounted much. Around here there are still dealers trying to get over msrp for them. Honestly.. it's just steel... they'll build more everyday.

Whether or not they can get to the dealers without falling off the train is another story...

No clue on the Bison.

spectre6000

Observer
I looked into that, and you are correct. Especially around here (Denver). MSRP or pound sand with the Jeep (though the salesman didn't appreciate my characterization, he confirmed the underlying sentiment). GM is much more free with the rebates, incentives, and discounts.

I was able to tap a personal connection for my wife's Jeep, and got it $500 under invoice. Not sure I could do that a second time though...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I was curious so, I looked... Found two Bison's here in my town. Both about 58K. Lots of dough for a midsize truck. But, still 10-15K cheaper than a Gladiator Rubicon.

Bison or ZR2 wouldn't work for me anyway as they wouldn't tow my trailer. And for the 70K a Gladiator Rubicon would cost I could get a well equipped 3/4 ton truck.

Hell, I think I could get all the options I need in a 3/4 ton truck for 55K, lol

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I feel ya I’m shopping too. But I think you have the more exciting options than I do.

Headed to look at the Tahoe /Yukon soon. 6.2L V8 10spd? Yeah maybe I should just go big and ride my bicycle more around town? LOL

The 2020 Aviator/ Explorer got nixed hard yesterday. I thought would be a stretch but Geeze what a design disaster!!!

No joke its now a 4 seater heavy, big Sports Wagon. Zero SUV anything regarding space be it seating or rear gear space.

Looked at the Telluride today. Very well done interior space. No bench 2nd row in upper trims?. Not crazy about the engine. Body paint and bits just don’t have that quality look and feel up close. Interior though was well done!

Good luck very curious what you decide on.

nickw

Adventurer
I am not saying people shouldn't do it if they want but with the discussion about longevity (and I would assume people want maintainability) and then squeezing a but load of power, esp with after market parts, out of a engine just don't seem to go hand in hand.
I think the point was it's a stout engine so from a structural perspective it should remain reliable.

Bama67

As a former owner of a 2015 4Runner Trail I can confirm it is bland and uninspiring. It was robust and capable, but man it was a turd in regards to power and the 5 spd was dreadful.

The JKU Rubicon I traded it in on had a bit more power, which helped, but a ton more soul so I enjoyed it waaay more.

Anyway, I believe if I was needing a truck to make it to 500k I would be getting a Super Duty with the 6.2 gas and the 6 spd auto.

spectre6000

Observer
I was curious so, I looked... Found two Bison's here in my town. Both about 58K. Lots of dough for a midsize truck. But, still 10-15K cheaper than a Gladiator Rubicon.

Bison or ZR2 wouldn't work for me anyway as they wouldn't tow my trailer. And for the 70K a Gladiator Rubicon would cost I could get a well equipped 3/4 ton truck.

Hell, I think I could get all the options I need in a 3/4 ton truck for 55K, lol

I very rarely tow, but frequently load the bed. 1,503 lbs isn't huge, but not much of a limitation in reality. I keep talking about getting a trailer, but never do... 5,000 lbs is plenty to tow another vehicle on a trailer, and that's the most I can imagine doing. For what I do/need, a midsize is plenty. Additionally, I decidedly don't WANT a full size because I really don't need anything that large, and it's just a liability.

The new straight six diesel that GM is bringing out really has my attention, because it's getting better fuel economy than the midsize with a diesel, but then I think about how it's a brand new engine from the ground up and worry about teething issues. Additionally, I wonder how it's set up for that efficiency (how hard is it pushed, how built is it against that strain, etc.). It may be a fantastic option, but that won't be clear for a few years, and I need to move now. There also aren't any serious off road oriented trim levels or equipment options.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Found two Bison's here in my town. .....Bison or ZR2 wouldn't work for me anyway as they wouldn't tow my trailer....
Hell, lol

Even if they could tow your trailer with either of these, you might still have to be concerned about hitting a bump in the road while towing and having your truck’s bed fold up ....like the guy who posted pictures of the same earlier on this forum.

But read that thread with a grain of salt (what a weird, old expression) though as there seems to be some confusion and controversy as to what/how that damage occurred.

See:

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
V6, not especially capable without significant effort on the build side, not very well equipped in any guise, and it looks about as old as it is in a bad way. Additionally, and possibly most critically, Nissan just announced a 99.X% drop in sales year over year for last quarter, and the entire line has been stagnant for years. I wouldn't suggest anyone buy any Nissan right now for the same reason you wouldn't have suggested anyone buy a Peugeot back in 1991, and that's the prime reason I don't think 500K is going to be easy for a Frontier.

The business side of things doesn't look good for Nissan, I agree. I like the truck's aesthetic, but am admittedly bias.

I don't understand the rest of your complaints though. The VQ40 is a great, stout, torquey motor. A front locker, wider track width and steel bumpers are the only noticeable differences from the Bison I can discern. Granted the Colorado's do have the MSSV shocks which I've heard good things about. The Nissan has been around awhile, but that shouldn't count against it capability or durability in any sense.

Different strokes for different folks is what comes down to I guess. I'd rather drop $35k on the Frontier (which can be had with a sunroof) and add a front ARB for 2k then spend 45k on a Bison.

spectre6000

Observer
I'm just not a Nissan guy. Nothing about it grabs me by the cajones. The little corner of the canyon I live in has somehow managed to collect about a half dozen xTerras or so. An odd car to be so uniquely popular in such a small area.

I've looked into the bent frame incident. I'm confident enough that he's an idiot and did a dumb thing that I'm not going to pay it any mind. If there were other examples out there like the Tacoma frame rust, maybe I'd be concerned at all, but I just haven't seen anything to convince me that guy didn't get what he earned.

If it comes down to price difference between the Colorado and the Gladiator, don’t write off the Gladiator before talking to Dennis Dillon in Boise. If anyone is willing to discount a Jeep or a Ram, it’s them.

I’m in Michigan but have worked with them twice on ordering vehicles, and they were far enough below the local dealers here that I still came out well ahead paying for a flight to Boise, two nights in hotel and gas on the way home!

Personally I’m in the Colorado’s corner, have really liked that truck since the ZR2 variant surfaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior