Comparison shopping: Colorado, Gladiator, Tacoma

OneL

Congrats on both of the new bundles of joy headed your way! I own a 2016 Colorado Z71 diesel as a stable mate to my '78 K30 Suburban and '96 Blazer. Purchased it new and have not had any issues to date. The fuel mileage is great, especially when compared to the Suburban. I would not have any hesitation on recommending one based on my experience. (y)

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Best of luck. But expect the unexpected when it comes to timing of child birth. We're 0 for 3 in trying to predict when they were ready. 2 were at past midnight, early and late of due date, when we were rushing through the hospital. Delirium for the following 2-3 days followed, so be careful driving that new truck :D

By the way, what options did you get? I just priced one out on chevy.com. Only option was the Bison Pkg (double cab, short bed, diesel). Total came to $52k MSRP. Not sure what the invoice is on that.

1575559373157.png

spectre6000

Observer
I got a diesel engine, block heater, exhaust relocation, and Bose. I think invoice is on the order of $51-something for that setup, but that's from my swiss cheese memory.

I finally got word that the truck is being loaded on a railcar and shipped today with an ETA this coming Sunday (so effectively Monday). At our last baby appointment, we were told we'd probably make it to this week's appointment (tomorrow), but probably wouldn't make it to next week's appointment (next Tuesday). So... Huh. Technically, my wife is in 'pre-labor' or something like that, which can last up to a month. It can also last just a few hours... I'm guessing the peak of that bell curve is the end of this week based on the doctor's delivery estimate. It really doesn't seem you can cut it much closer than this. Either we'll check into the hospital, and I'll get a text the moment things start getting gooey, or I'll get the text, we'll pick up the truck, get it home, then turn right back around and check into the hospital.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Spectre6000- don’t you live in Denver? Or surrounding area? If so, I predict the baby will be here over the weekend. Why? There’s a storm coming in- big change in temp and drop in pressure. Both of my kids were born during a change in weather like that.

phsycle

Adventurer
I got a diesel engine, block heater, exhaust relocation, and Bose. I think invoice is on the order of $51-something for that setup, but that's from my swiss cheese memory.

I finally got word that the truck is being loaded on a railcar and shipped today with an ETA this coming Sunday (so effectively Monday). At our last baby appointment, we were told we'd probably make it to this week's appointment (tomorrow), but probably wouldn't make it to next week's appointment (next Tuesday). So... Huh. Technically, my wife is in 'pre-labor' or something like that, which can last up to a month. It can also last just a few hours... I'm guessing the peak of that bell curve is the end of this week based on the doctor's delivery estimate. It really doesn't seem you can cut it much closer than this. Either we'll check into the hospital, and I'll get a text the moment things start getting gooey, or I'll get the text, we'll pick up the truck, get it home, then turn right back around and check into the hospital.

Two deliveries. It'll be a fun week for you.

spectre6000

Observer
Spectre6000- don’t you live in Denver? Or surrounding area? If so, I predict the baby will be here over the weekend. Why? There’s a storm coming in- big change in temp and drop in pressure. Both of my kids were born during a change in weather like that.

I mentioned this to my wife. Naturally, she's been talking to her mom a fair bit lately about how things went with her and her brother. Turns out, that's exactly how things went down when she was born. In Littleton no less... It doesn't seem like the weather we're about to have is going to be much of a storm though. I'm really hopeful we get one more weekend to get things put together...

spectre6000

Observer
Well... Just got back from the doctor... It's neck and neck, but the truck MIGHT beat the baby... So close... Hard preference to get the truck first, have the car seat installed, and everything set up and settled down there THEN go through all the new baby stuff. Alternatively, a little distance between birthday and xmas might be preferable for her... I'm a spectator in all of it anyway, so we'll just have to see what falls out first.

jadmt

ignore button user
Well... Just got back from the doctor... It's neck and neck, but the truck MIGHT beat the baby... So close... Hard preference to get the truck first, have the car seat installed, and everything set up and settled down there THEN go through all the new baby stuff. Alternatively, a little distance between birthday and xmas might be preferable for her... I'm a spectator in all of it anyway, so we'll just have to see what falls out first.
Congrats on both but especially the birth of your child. My younger brother was born on Christmas Day and while my parents always tried to make it a special day for him on top of Christmas, he always felt jilted. It is really tough for a parent to arrange birthday parties when everyone is already wrapped up in Christmas. Funny thing is his wife was born on Christmas Eve.

spectre6000

Observer
Thanks. We're definitely excited. We're also nearly done getting ready. The extra weekend will not go unappreciated. She's due 12/27 according to one method of calculation, and 12/30 according to another. 12/27 is the official one. My wife was born 3 weeks early, her brother 3 1/2, and I and all my siblings were 2 weeks late. Everything to date has been pretty much right at the crest of the bell curve riding the 50th percentile, so somewhere in the neighborhood of those due dates would check out. My wife is past ready to be done with pregnancy though... We'll get there. She'll get here. The truck will get here. Exciting times!

Dougnuts

I keep checking this thread, anxiously, to see the outcome. :)

Good luck with the baby, it’s the greatest feeling in the world.......when your entire purpose in the world changes.

spectre6000

Observer
7:45 Sunday evening: While not technically over, I think it's safe to say at this point that we made it through the weekend (famous last words?). The only sounds in the house right now are from Sinatra on vinyl. My wife is working from home until delivery day, so that should help keep things in place... We're relaxing a bit after dinner while I convert some DVDs to a digital format for killing time in the hospital, and we're about to go discuss things for hanging on the wall in the nursery... Gotta make it to at least Wednesday...

spectre6000

Observer
This morning I got a text from my salesman saying the truck hadn't arrived as promised... Not a surprise. Dealerships are closed on Sundays (seems like some sort of blue law kind of thing maybe?), and the Sunday delivery date struck me as odd from the get-go. Bit a of a bummer though, because the Tuesday evening pickup was dependent upon it showing up this morning, and all the dealer doings being done by tomorrow.

Then, I got a text from my salesman this afternoon. It's not been confirmed to my knowledge, but this is believed to be my truck. We may still be on track for pickup tomorrow...
59823238323__96C05B3C-F10B-4D6E-B9D3-8957F2F1EB69.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior