Comparison of these campers

Harker outdoors At Habitat, Alu cab and Lone peak.
Who has any of these and what do you think? LOne paek has really piqued my interest. i just discovered them. AT habitat has been around for a while and has a solid reputation but is costly?
So if you own any of these please give me your frank assessment. Is it worth what you paid for it? if you were to do it again would you buy the same brand? How about ease of set up take down and any maintenance? What are the shortcoming you have experienced? Thanks in advance!

lkosh

Lone Peak campers haven't been delivered yet. They just released a few weeks ago and opened up for orders. I put my order in the first day I could, so hopefully getting mine in a few months!

czukie

There are so many more campers in this genre. Vagabond, topo toppers, snap outfitters, Trailfort, ovrlnd campers, super pacific, GFC, so on and so forth.

I’d recommend looking more into the various options and then you can find much better answers. The campers you listed are barely the tip of the iceberg that is modern day lightweight pop up campers

86scotty

Cynic
I’d recommend looking more into the various options and then you can find much better answers. The campers you listed are barely the tip of the iceberg that is modern day lightweight pop up campers

I agree. I'd also recommend figuring out some specifics on what is most important to you within said pop up camper. I had a Super Pacific for a year or so. There are two things I didn't love that other builders address, a fold up bed (on struts, NOT slide forward) and a straight up/down pop up vs a wedge. I would not buy another wedge, personally. I've had two, the Super Pacific and an Ursa Minor on a JKU. I just don't love them. Straight pop ups offer lots more benefit for a fraction of added weight/mass/price IMO.

Zillon

If you're on the west coast, the world is your oyster. GFC now has dealers/remote install locations; Topo Toppers and Vagabond are in Cali; Super Pacific in Oregon; Lone Peak up in Washington; AT Overland in Arizona. If I was out your way, I'd probably go with a Topo Toppers Mesa.

It's a real challenge being on the east coast and having no local/regional options - I decided to go with Lone Peak because they're one of very few that offer shipping options at a reasonable price, and I really like the packaging.

Alu-Cab is awesome but too expensive/too heavy. GFC pricing is getting a bit steep and I don't like the bed access. I really wanted a Snap! Outfitters setup (built in PA) but they basically doubled their price and tripled their lead time in the last 12 months so they're out.

Harker is interesting, but don't think I'd want a soft sided ground-level enclosure if travelling in bear country.

Another interesting potential player is Fort Campers: https://www.instagram.com/foundonrealtrails/

Something else I'd strongly recommend looking into is overall mattress length/sleeping area access. Some of these toppers have short mattresses, which is a challenge if you're over 6' tall, and not all have lifting mattress platforms.

czukie

If you're on the west coast, the world is your oyster. GFC now has dealers/remote install locations; Topo Toppers and Vagabond are in Cali; Super Pacific in Oregon; Lone Peak up in Washington; AT Overland in Arizona. If I was out your way, I'd probably go with a Topo Toppers Mesa.

It's a real challenge being on the east coast and having no local/regional options - I decided to go with Lone Peak because they're one of very few that offer shipping options at a reasonable price, and I really like the packaging.

Alu-Cab is awesome but too expensive/too heavy. GFC pricing is getting a bit steep and I don't like the bed access. I really wanted a Snap! Outfitters setup (built in PA) but they basically doubled their price and tripled their lead time in the last 12 months so they're out.

Harker is interesting, but don't think I'd want a soft sided ground-level enclosure if travelling in bear country.

Another interesting potential player is Fort Campers: https://www.instagram.com/foundonrealtrails/

Something else I'd strongly recommend looking into is overall mattress length/sleeping area access. Some of these toppers have short mattresses, which is a challenge if you're over 6' tall, and not all have lifting mattress platforms.

As someone who has owned a treehouse, vagabond, flippac, ovrlnd, 3 FWC’s, a GFC, and had a Trailfort on order I agree with everything you said.

Unfortunately my favorites (vagabond and the treehouse) would both be out of the picture if I was in the market today. Vagabond (luckily is currently on my truck) is too long of a lead time and too poor communication to do all over, even though they are my favorite and the most thoughtful build quality of all. My Snap Treehouse was one of the first 250 and under previous ownership. Would 100% go that route if I could find one out in Colorado or I lived back east again.

I’m now relegated to a GFC as it’s the only option for a Maverick. If I were keeping my Tacoma and doing it all over again my first choices would Topo or used Vagabond/Treehouse.

Zillon

As someone who has owned a treehouse, vagabond, flippac, ovrlnd, 3 FWC’s, a GFC, and had a Trailfort on order I agree with everything you said.

Unfortunately my favorites (vagabond and the treehouse) would both be out of the picture if I was in the market today. Vagabond (luckily is currently on my truck) is too long of a lead time and too poor communication to do all over, even though they are my favorite and the most thoughtful build quality of all. My Snap Treehouse was one of the first 250 and under previous ownership. Would 100% go that route if I could find one out in Colorado or I lived back east again.

I’m now relegated to a GFC as it’s the only option for a Maverick. If I were keeping my Tacoma and doing it all over again my first choices would Topo or used Vagabond/Treehouse.

I don't think I'd want anything but a GFC for a Maverick - that vehicle needs small and simple and light.

I'd go the same exact route if I were in the same position, and honestly I'd love that setup myself. Would make for an epic one-person gravel cycling base camp vehicle.

Are you selling the Tacoma + Vagabond together, or separately?

czukie

I don't think I'd want anything but a GFC for a Maverick - that vehicle needs small and simple and light.

I'd go the same exact route if I were in the same position, and honestly I'd love that setup myself. Would make for an epic one-person gravel cycling base camp vehicle.

Are you selling the Tacoma + Vagabond together, or separately?

Hopefully together, seems easier but I’ll probably list them separately and together.

I agree about the GFC on the Maverick, I just really don’t want a GFC lol I’ve reached out to Topo to see if they’d do a custom but I’m not optimistic

SurfCamperMan

I agree. I'd also recommend figuring out some specifics on what is most important to you within said pop up camper. I had a Super Pacific for a year or so. There are two things I didn't love that other builders address, a fold up bed (on struts, NOT slide forward) and a straight up/down pop up vs a wedge. I would not buy another wedge, personally. I've had two, the Super Pacific and an Ursa Minor on a JKU. I just don't love them. Straight pop ups offer lots more benefit for a fraction of added weight/mass/price IMO.

Can you expand on why you wouldn't do a wedge? And are you saying you didn't like the SP fold up bed? Who does it better? I see everyone raving about them but to me it seems like the flat pop up seems superior for space. Would love some personal anecdotes. I lean towards Super Pacific if I had to do a wedge but no idea which flat top.

czukie

Can you expand on why you wouldn't do a wedge? And are you saying you didn't like the SP fold up bed? Who does it better? I see everyone raving about them but to me it seems like the flat pop up seems superior for space. Would love some personal anecdotes. I lean towards Super Pacific if I had to do a wedge but no idea which flat top.

Snap Treehouse and AT Summit both have better bed solutions. They both utilize gas struts to raise the bed up parallel to the roof...both are also significantly better value in my opinion unless weight is your only determining factor

86scotty

Cynic

With a straight up pop up you can prop up some pillows and actually have an indoor living/lounging space during the day. With a wedge the only way to utilize the bed is to lie in it. When you do you don't have any floor space left. Maybe 2' standing room at the rear with a bigger truck, not exactly enough room to do much. AluCab does a fold up bed on struts, as do a couple of others I can't think of right now. A fold up bed is quicker than stacking or sliding and keeps some bedding above it out of the way. Also, it creates a shelf underneath for indoor cooking needs or whatever. With a slide or stacking cushions you don't exactly have a rigid usable table surface.

It's all about compromises with these things. After thinking through several I just went back to a van.

Zillon

Lone peak is also doing a lifting bed setup (along with Snap, Alucab) ; I've decided to be a guinea pig and I've got one on order.

Having sat inside an Alucab with the bed lifted, and a custom love-seat style couch setup at the front of the bed, that sealed the deal for having a space that's just comfortable enough to lounge in when it's not ideal outside.

Bergger

Explorer
As mentioned by others it is all about the compromises and what works best for you. There are many good options out there. You just need to find the one that meets most if not all of your needs. I agree with Zillon that the bed on gas struts was one of the things that helped seal the deal with our choice, AT Summit. Being able to push the bed up and down without messing up the bedding is great. We have two stadium seat chairs down in the bed of the truck that act as a nice lounge space, with the bed up or in the down position. We spent most of our inside time sitting downstairs enjoying the view out the window, and are usually only upstairs to sleep. And yes the wedge style does not allow much room upstairs to sit, unless you sit on the edge with feet hanging over, but it does allow someone to lay up there and still allow the other to sit downstairs or stand up and do some cooking. We like the wedge style as it is super fast to set up and close up, sheds rain and snow very well, and does great in high winds. Again it just depends on what works for you. When choosing though I would really pay attention to the type of fabric the manufacturer uses, how tight it is installed and how good the stitching is. Nobody wants to be kept awake with fabric flapping around, leaking or tearing. To me that is one of the most important parts of these types of campers and it is easily overlooked when shopping for one. Try your best to actually get inside of different makes and models so you can see all the differences.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
⬆️ “Harker is interesting, but don't think I'd want a soft sided ground-level enclosure if travelling in bear country.”

(If they’d set up a fabric half door up top so you could leave the tailgate up and also leave the sold top hatch in place, this’d be a competitor)

“Another interesting potential player is Fort Campers: https://www.instagram.com/foundonrealtrails/

(I went to their website but they only had trailers listed, no pop top shells!)

Zillon

⬆ “Harker is interesting, but don't think I'd want a soft sided ground-level enclosure if travelling in bear country.”

(If they’d set up a fabric half door up top so you could leave the tailgate up and also leave the sold top hatch in place, this’d be a competitor)

“Another interesting potential player is Fort Campers: https://www.instagram.com/foundonrealtrails/

(I went to their website but they only had trailers listed, no pop top shells!)

The owner of Fort had reached out to me a while back about an upcoming wedge setup, guess it hasn't hit production yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles