Compact Utility bed turned Expedition trailer (CUB)

Kabob1865

The Rackage

The rack and roll cage is my favorite part of the trailer. I mounted two (2) Kawell 7.5" LED light bars on each side tucked under the roof basket and I mounted a Kawell 13.5" LED light bar on the rear. These lights can switch from white to orange using a remote so they are great for tailgate parties. These are wired using Kawell switch kits that we pre-wired with switches and relays.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's not an overland trailer without awnings. I mounted a 2000 mm (6.5') ARB awning on each side. I love these things. When I angle the light bars up at night they reflect the light perfectly.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Kabob1865

Paint and body

This week I had the gray rustoleum stripped and sprayed with Line-X premium. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kabob1865

Storage and Organization

I was attracted to this trailer because of all the lockable storage. I lined the large horizontal compartment and the Pack Rat drawer with gray indoor/outdoor carpet. I ordered Richlite boards to convert the doors into small bar height tables to set and prepare drinks or prep meals. The Richlite is waterproof and can handle heat up to 350 degrees.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I discovered that plastic Plano ammo field boxes were light, tough, cheap and fit perfectly in the top compartment.

image.jpg

Over the last season I had been using action packers to store cooking tools, spices, bar ware and plates. We could never find what we were looking for and they weren't exactly secure in the trailer bed. Fortunately, everything fits nicely in the pack rat drawer.

image.jpg

Kabob1865

Electrical Part II

This winter I have been working on cleaning up the rats nest in the battery compartment.

IMG_0030.jpg

I wanted an SPod SCS, but the price and the fact that I already had 40A relays for all my lighting circuits made me look another direction. I found a generic 6 switch panel with a digital voltmeter, 12v cigar lighter plug, and 2 USB charging ports on Amazon. I mounted the panel to a bracket I made out of aluminum that was hung from an existing bolt securing the roll cage. I put plastic door trim on the edges of the edge of the bracket to avoid chafing.

IMG_0085.jpg

The LED volt meter really drew down a lot of the battery, so I added a Flaming River Battery disconnect switch/key. I like being able to turn the system off and take the key with me. All of the circuits are routed through 40A relays and are fused using a Blue Sea systems 6 circuit fuse block.

IMG_0079.jpg

Kabob1865

Convenience Lighting

Even though the light bars do a great job lighting up the campsite, I found myself getting frustrated by having to grab a flashlight to find anything in the trailer. I installed marine type flexible led strips in the boxes and underneath hi-lift slide-n-loc channels in the bed.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

jesser

02 Excursion
I'm over in Tulsa and really like the trailer project. I'm also very happy you are here in Oklahoma. I bought a similar trailer several years ago for the same type of project, but never made it very far. Reading this thread has encouraged me to reengage on the effort. Keep the inspiration coming!

I'd really like to know how you plan to use each of the 6 outside compartments. I like the use of the Pack Rat. Although it's heavy steel, I always believed the "industrial" products could take a beating and keep working.

As for the compartments, I know one is electrical, but how are you using the rest?

Kabob1865

I'm over in Tulsa and really like the trailer project. I'm also very happy you are here in Oklahoma. I bought a similar trailer several years ago for the same type of project, but never made it very far. Reading this thread has encouraged me to reengage on the effort. Keep the inspiration coming!

I'd really like to know how you plan to use each of the 6 outside compartments. I like the use of the Pack Rat. Although it's heavy steel, I always believed the "industrial" products could take a beating and keep working.

As for the compartments, I know one is electrical, but how are you using the rest?

Thanks, always good to meet a fellow okie out here in the middle! Good luck with your project.

I was searching for a more lightweight option to the Pack Rat, but when I found an oil field fire sale at $100 each, I had to go for it. The weight actually solved a lot of drive ability issues I had. The roll cage the OP built is LEGIT! But as a result the trailer was very top heavy and sway happy. I haven't weighed the trailer, but I think it is much heavier than we all think. My LJ can tow it fine, but the trailer feels just right behind my Ram 2500.

The Pack Rat lowered the center of gravity and by using the drawer, forced me to distribute weight across the entire bed floor. The trailer is more balanced now. Even with a full size spare in the rear, I can drop the tailgate, climb up and stand on the back.

Stay tuned for a write-up on cargo management...

Kabob1865

Front/Fore/Bow Cargo Management

I installed Front Runner vertical jerry can holders with a NATO fuel can and a Front Runner plastic water can with tap. I'm really pleased with the quality of the front runner can holders. During football season I haul a Honda EU2000i generator, YETI Tundra 50, and Weber Jumbo Joe on the front. The Yeti is secured with a Yeti tie down kit, in hindsight I wish I would have used plain black footman loops. The generator is locked down to the trailer using a Low-Pro Lockdown security plate.

IMG_0083.jpg

For camping trips the Yeti rides in the trailer bed and the grill rides front and center.

IMG_0095.jpg

Last edited:

Kabob1865

Compartments

I use the front driver side compartment as a utility closet to store propane, misc. fuels, lubricants and a funnel. I installed a powertank mount and an 11 lb propane tank.

IMG_0091.jpg

The side compartments hold various pieces of equipment depending on the adventure. Right now I've got cast iron cookware, a Partner 9" dual burner stove, a flagpole and other junk. During football season I have an ammo can of koozies, tablecloths, straps, charcoal, a 14 cup percolator, etc.

IMG_0093.jpg

The rear lower driver compartment holds a twin piston Q-max portable 12 volt compressor, ARB tire repair kit, and marine fire extinguisher.

IMG_0096.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior