Compact Camp Chairs: The Ultimate Review

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
The Great Camp Chair Debate Continues!

In this comparison review I introduce you to eight of the latest compact camp chairs on the market, all of which are high quality and designed to pack up small. I love a wide variety of activities that might end around a campfire at night, so I require my camp chairs to be versatile tools that are at home in a wide variety of conditions. My chairs find themselves in the back of kayaks during multi-day trips, on my adventure motorcycle, in my 4-wheeled overland adventuremobile, etc..., while in conditions from deep desert sands to fresh high alpine snow, and everything in-between. Traditional bulky camp chairs might be comfortable, but their weight and volume are too much for my purposes. Comfortable, compact, lightweight and versatile are what I look for in my camp seating.

Check out the full review here:
Compact Camp Chairs: The Ultimate Review

ExploringElementsCampChairReview-1.jpg

ExploringElementsCampChairReview-2.jpg

ExploringElementsCampChairReview-3.jpg

Rando

Explorer
I would second including the Kermit and Pico armchair in this review. I have had a couple of the helionox style chairs and tried several others and don't really find any of them to be particularly comfortable due to their 'sling' design, which all the reviewed chairs seem the share.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
meijer actually has one nearly identical to the helinox in the black bag thats very well made, got 2 on sale for 20, normally 49 a piece

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Ive got the little Helinox. It is decent. Better than sitting on the ground. Fits in one of the wing pockets of my pack. Super light, could be a tad bit more comfortable, but I fill it out pretty well if you know what I mean.

Biker Eagle

Observer
My Kermit chair is 25 years old and still going strong. Oh, and they doubled in price over the years. Comfy but watch the cold adult beverages...ya might be stuck in it.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I think spending more than $30 for a camp chair is insane. Tried one that looks like your photo at REI and fell over, really not very stable.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I would second including the Kermit and Pico armchair in this review. I have had a couple of the helionox style chairs and tried several others and don't really find any of them to be particularly comfortable due to their 'sling' design, which all the reviewed chairs seem the share.

For sure not an all encompassing review. The Kermit and Pico are great chairs. All the chairs in this review are pretty new to the market and pretty close to the same design, hence why I put them all in a comparison review against each other. This style chair isn't loved by everyone, but I'm actually a big fan and prefer the comfort of most of these over other style compact camp chairs.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
meijer actually has one nearly identical to the helinox in the black bag thats very well made, got 2 on sale for 20, normally 49 a piece

I haven't seen that one specifically, but there are MANY out there that have copied the general Helinox style chair, with varying degrees of success. It sounds like you got a great deal on the ones you picked up.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Ive got the little Helinox. It is decent. Better than sitting on the ground. Fits in one of the wing pockets of my pack. Super light, could be a tad bit more comfortable, but I fill it out pretty well if you know what I mean.

For sure the tiny Helinox isn't the most comfortable of the options, but it is crazy small and lightweight. It is now my go to adv moto chair and multiday kayaking chair.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
My Kermit chair is 25 years old and still going strong. Oh, and they doubled in price over the years. Comfy but watch the cold adult beverages...ya might be stuck in it.

The Kermit chairs aren't inexpensive, but they do seem to be durable and last, as long as you don't loose any of the pieces. I've reconnected owners with Kermit chair parts that they've left around the campfire more than once. The chair leg extensions are a great addition, as they get you a little taller off the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles