Comms Radio setup

Stroked 550

Adventurer
hey guys and gals

Im going to be running 3 radios in my JKU and was wondering how do you guys have your setups rigged up?

CB
GMRS
HAM

Viatorem

I also run CB (Cobra 75wxst), GMRS (Midland MXT275), HAM (icom 5100). All the "boxes" are under the driver seat mounted to a tray I fabricated. Antennas are all on lip-mounts attached to the hood.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I only have ham and CB, but did similar. Boxes under driver seat, ham antenna on an a-pillar light mount, CB antenna on rear tire carrier mount. Remote face for the ham on the bottom of the S-pod module over the windshield. I don’t worry about seeing the CB, as I rarely use it and even less often change channels. I can adjust squelch and volume by touch.

I have Ham and GMRS . The box for the ham is under the steering wheel . The Box for the GMRS is behind the glove box . I dropped the CB as are club is moving toward GMRS . I wanted to keep the boxes up higher in cse of water in the floor .

Stroked 550

Adventurer
The CB I use a lot because we have heavy logging traffic and no cell reception so its an invaluable tool if I need help
mounting them under the seat is a good idea but Im also curious does anyone make a overhead radio console?

Viatorem

My friend I overland with uses an overhead console (I cant recall who makes it) for all his radios. Not for me tho - I cant stand having cords swinging around. As for CB, I'd love to lose it, but here in the PNW we deal with logging operations - and they still use CB when hauling logs. It works. I've avoided head-on collisions by talking to the truck drivers.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
My friend I overland with uses an overhead console (I cant recall who makes it) for all his radios. Not for me tho - I cant stand having cords swinging around. As for CB, I'd love to lose it, but here in the PNW we deal with logging operations - and they still use CB when hauling logs. It works. I've avoided head-on collisions by talking to the truck drivers.

For me I rather have them up high then under the seat because snow and mud gets kicked around down there.
I agree CB radios work great in logging country I have also been able to get info about road hazards when running them as well

Last edited:

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
We run the Cobra 75 with the box behind the glove box mount to the metal crossbar.
No HAM yet and only a handheld GMRS.

Mount is from Jeepunique

rqWmtM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier