Comms questions

Jason Lang

Good day all
not sure if this is the right thread but I am looking for communication options for when things hit the fan. Currently looking at a cb ssd radio for medical emergencies however after combing through topographic maps I realize that some communications may be out of range for the cab option, noting the locations of radio towers.
some options I have noted were
1. Sat phone
2. HAM radio and
3. Garmin GPS with sat communication options.
This communication is to be used for medical emergencies only so I am looking at the best bang for your buck.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Most offroaders still use CB. To communicate with others on the trail you will want one, but don't count on it being effective or being within range of anyone in the event of a medical emergency.

Many people try to push GMRS as the hot, new communications tool. It isn't. Range is too short.

Ham radio is a viable option, particularly in areas with access to a repeater network.

Sat phone is too expensive.

Personal locators such as Garmin inReach and Spot can get help to you in an emergency and some models provide tracking for your friends/loved ones at home.

This is what I currently use for communications both in my jeep and in my Xterra:

CB radio with properly tuned antenna.
2m/70cm dual band ham radio
Baofeng UV5-RA handheld radio with 2m/70cm ham and FRS/GMRS capability as a backup
cell phone

AND

Garmin inReach Explorer+
personal locator/tracker, which I will no longer leave home without. I used it on a recent 3-week, 4,500 mile overlanding trip which included 2,200 miles in Baja California. Friends and family were able to keep track of my progress and get regular satellite texts from me and I had the ability to summon help to my exact location with just a push of a button.

cf-lg.jpg

I also maintain an air medical evacuation insurance policy to get me from a remote location where I might have to be rescued to a hospital without the delay of ground transportation. My policy also covers air transport from a medical facility in a remote location to the hospital near my home.

1000arms

Good day all
not sure if this is the right thread but I am looking for communication options for when things hit the fan. Currently looking at a cb ssd radio for medical emergencies however after combing through topographic maps I realize that some communications may be out of range for the cab option, noting the locations of radio towers.
some options I have noted were
1. Sat phone
2. HAM radio and
3. Garmin GPS with sat communication options.
This communication is to be used for medical emergencies only so I am looking at the best bang for your buck.
Your title says you have comma questions, which is probably much better than colon questions, at least on this forum. :cool:

You probably want this thread in https://expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/communications-ham-cb-2m-sat-frs-gmrs.47/

Welcome to the forum!

taliv

Observer
I also maintain an air medical evacuation insurance policy to get me from a remote location where I might have to be rescued to a hospital without the delay of ground transportation. My policy also covers air transport from a medical facility in a remote location to the hospital near my home.
got a link with details? what company do you use?

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . I also maintain an air medical evacuation insurance policy to get me from a remote location where I might have to be rescued to a hospital without the delay of ground transportation. My policy also covers air transport from a medical facility in a remote location to the hospital near my home.

got a link with details? what company do you use?

AirMedCareNetwork.com

D

Deleted member 9101

Sat phone. It lets you call exactly who you need to talk too and doesn't require a tower or repeater.

dreadlocks

If your really interested in comms when SHTF, HAM General License.. HF can get you across oceans and continents, and requires practically zero infrastructure to be operational if you got a battery and a solar panel.

Also since you posted this in Search and Rescue, if thats something you may be interested in, HAM's got that covered.. http://www.arrl.org/ares

Last edited:

Jason Lang

Most offroaders still use CB. To communicate with others on the trail you will want one, but don't count on it being effective or being within range of anyone in the event of a medical emergency.

Many people try to push GMRS as the hot, new communications tool. It isn't. Range is too short.

Ham radio is a viable option, particularly in areas with access to a repeater network.

Sat phone is too expensive.

Personal locators such as Garmin inReach and Spot can get help to you in an emergency and some models provide tracking for your friends/loved ones at home.

This is what I currently use for communications both in my jeep and in my Xterra:

CB radio with properly tuned antenna.
2m/70cm dual band ham radio
Baofeng UV5-RA handheld radio with 2m/70cm ham and FRS/GMRS capability as a backup
cell phone

AND

Garmin inReach Explorer+
personal locator/tracker, which I will no longer leave home without. I used it on a recent 3-week, 4,500 mile overlanding trip which included 2,200 miles in Baja California. Friends and family were able to keep track of my progress and get regular satellite texts from me and I had the ability to summon help to my exact location with just a push of a button.

cf-lg.jpg

With the Garmin is it a pay as you use or is subscription required to access satellite communication?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Ham radio License, portable ham radio w/ good antenna and a notepad containing important freqs and repeaters. This setup is goo for everything from club runs, event runs, weather checks to emergencies. Good luck!

Robert Bills

Explorer
With the Garmin is it a pay as you use or is subscription required to access satellite communication?

Garmin has different levels of service at different price points. Some levels have unlimited satellite texts and some are pay per text with a limited number of characters per text or pre-set messages only.

For those advocating HAM, in your opinion is a single-band (2m) adequate, or would you suggest dual?
I’ll be testing for my technicians ticket as soon as things open up again. Thinking about what radio I want in the GX470.
Thanks

dreadlocks

TM-281 is an excellent radio, Ive got a couple of em.. nice and cheap, rugged, and sensitive.

I work 2m by in large the most, more activity on national call frequencies.. I only use the UHF side of my dual bander in my expo rig for GMRS usage.. tho here in town there's quite a bit of activity on 70cm that all goes away once you get into the mountains.. if I'm not working GMRS I've got both ends doing VHF, APRS on one side and 2m Voice on the other.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles