common programming freq's for mobile 2m/70cm

BLU60

Good day all

So i am licensed and have an Icom dual bander 2720 for the truck. Now I want to program it (I have the software and cable) and I am looking for any advise for frequencies that are common for USA that folks like to have in their memory list. I'm not looking for repeater info because I have a local database that I am going to learn about on my own.

Many thanks for any help.

KE5HJK

4RunAmok

Explorer
For me, a lot of the simplex stuff, I just keep a list, rather than taking a memory spot...

The memory slots make life easy for repeaters because of the many steps to properly tune one, having to set the CTCSS and tone freq's, etc.. I do have a lot of local simplex stored and named as well. Otherwise I tune simplex on the fly.

Probably not very helpful to you, but I figure with the limited memory slots, I save them for the repeaters.

It may interest you to check into the national call freq's at http://www.ac6v.com/callfreq.htm

BLU60

thank you, that is a good idea to program the calling freq's and keep a list of other simplex.

Regards

Expedition Leader
The TLCA chapter I belong to uses 146.460 MHz for a simplex frequency on any club runs, with a couple of back-ups in case that one is being used. I notice that some events and other clubs and groups now use that frequency also.

When I'm on the road, I usually have some repeaters along my path already programmed in, so I'll alternate between scanning those and monitoring 146.460 (since that is also what my APRS text broadcast says) and at the top of each hour I try to remember and listen on the national 2m simplex frequency 146.520 MHz, in case there might be any emergency traffic.

gary in ohio

Explorer
simplex channels

146.76, 146.94, 147.24 are common repeater pairs.

I typically program the lower channels with local simplex and repeaters. Then some of the local public safety/WX receive only channels and then the further out/occasional use repeaters.

taugust

Adventurer
Most modern radios have more than enough memory locations to program both repeaters and simplex freqs. The site listed above has a great reference for simplex frequencies, but may be somewhat out of date. I would suggest programming all local repeaters and the simplex freqs. I have about 30 simplex frequecies programmed in every radio. In an emergency it takes too long to program the freq you need.

There is an organization in SoCal called TASMA that manages the two meter spectrum, both simplex and repeater, and publishes approved simplex freqs. You may have a similar organization locally. Do a search online.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
With 212 memories I doubt you'll miss a few set to simplex frequencies.:sombrero:
146.460 is a common simplex freq.
146.520 is the national simplex cal frequency.
Check around with the people you travel with and find out what they use. Check local 4X club forums to find out what simplex frequencies they use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz