comfy sleeping in a pop-top

suntinez

Explorer
There’s only so much you can do with a piece of foam, they’re just not terribly comfortable. Of course it’s better than a rock, but after several nights sleeping on foam you start to wonder.

You can get thicker foam, they come in all degrees of firmness and you can even get it layered with different firmnesses top and bottom. But if you have a pop top – like a FWC or my Tiger GT – you’re limited by how much height you can add and still get the lid closed.

How about some springs under the foam that will compress when popping down? Oh yeah …

P9170267.jpg

Thanks to mhiscox for turning me on to these in his Sprinter build thread. With the Sprinter on temporary assignment with Adventureduo, I got a chance to see it in person on a recent trip to Big Sur. I promptly stole the springs out of the Sprinter to try in the Tiger, and got clearance to sleep on it for the last night of our trip. Night and day difference in comfort, and I could still pop the lid closed.

The kit is from Nickel Atlantic and it couldn’t be easier to assemble. Just snap the base pieces together,

P9150222.jpg

Then twist on the spring elements – the lighter ones are softer for the shoulder area:

P9160224.jpg

It also comes with spring tensioners if you want it a little firmer in specific areas. Twist off the spring you want firmer, add the tensioner and twist it back on.

P9170270.jpg

P9170003.jpg

The kit I ordered (Froli star) has only full size pieces, but they also have half size pieces for custom shapes. This kit covers most of the sleeping area, with enough room around the edges to get the lid closed. It’s ok, my toes don’t need much support.

I’m on my third hunk’o’foam in Tiger and sorry I didn’t try this earlier. It’s actually cheaper than some of the foam mattresses, and the difference is incredible! Happy snoozing.

That's pretty cool. I suspect they wouldn't fit with the foam in the 3" the flippac gives you. I just pulled out the six year old foam and bought a couple of nice Exped 3" sleeping pads. I cut about 5" of foam from the old mattress to get them to fit tightly enough for no gap in between. They seem like they're going to work well but we'll check them out this weekend for the first time at the Rendezvous. I was able to air them down, flatten them out and store the sleeping bag in the roof as well as third pad for one of my daughters.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Wish I could get these to work on the full length of a FWC bed, but with the slide out bed I can only figure how to do half the bed.

suntinez

Explorer
If my flippac mattress wasn't glued on, I think you could make it work by attaching velcro to the springs. You can try mine out at the rendezvous if you like. I'll be interested to see your new setup, you've made lots of changes since the last time I saw it.

I'd forgotten that some of the FWCs have a slide out for the bed, but if you had somewhere to store the extra springs it'd be pretty easy to attach it.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
that is really really cool
I like how modular it is
thanks for the heads up on these

pods8

Explorer
Wish I could get these to work on the full length of a FWC bed, but with the slide out bed I can only figure how to do half the bed.

I haven't tried this system out but my thoughts on are while it looks like a nice product I don't really think it's probably a great fit for a FWC type camper even w/o the slide out issue. These types of campers only have 4" of space to house the mattress and this system is just under 2" tall. That only leaves 2" for the mattress you still need to install which isn't much of a mattress. I'd think a dual layer/density 4" thick mattress would likely be more comfortable in that situation.

Now on pop ups that have more space for the bed or hard sided campers you start having more flexibility. However I'd definitely want to to try it out verse a dual/multi density foam mattress for the same thickness though considering a queen sized froli system is ~$390 and you still need to buy a mattress (I mention queen because that is what size bed I need in mine). There are much better foam options out there than the standard 4" thick single density "firm" foam that a FWC type camper comes with.

suntinez

Explorer
I had the same feeling about it before I tried it out. I really didn't expect it to work, but it did. I have a 4" mattress in there and while it's a bit more work to close it, I adjusted the 2 side latches up a smidge (one turn) and no problems.

Measuring near the side of the camper with the lid closed, I see ~5” – it’s ~5.5” in the middle. So clearly the top is bowing out a little in the middle – which I expect it did anyhow. Maybe the springs on the edges will get squashed more than the others, can’t tell except with time.

DSC_0095.jpg

I don’t have a FWC handy to compare it to, but the Tiger GT and FWC were originally produced by the same guy (Dave Rowe) and I imagine they are pretty similar in that dimension.

Tigertop.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

pods8

Explorer
I don’t have a FWC handy to compare it to, but the Tiger GT and FWC were originally produced by the same guy (Dave Rowe) and I imagine they are pretty similar in that dimension.

The lift panels leave a slight indent in my 4" foam mattress with a 1/2" slider under it when I first pop the top on mine.

So are you running a 3" foam on yours then?

NotAMog

Observer
I wish I knew about that a long time ago. It looks like it would be a good solution in the Pinzgauer. Currently, I use 3" of viscoelastic foam with a Therm-a-rest DreamTime on top. It feels comfortable but I always wake up with a very stiff back. It may have something to do with the fact that all this is laid out on hard steel.

I find the mattress that came in the FlipPac almost ideal right now but it's still pretty new. If it fits, this may be an option when the foam wears out.

BillTex

Adventurer
I would think with a pop-top a high quality air mattress is the way to go?
We have one (for tenting) that has a built in pump that use "C" batteries...thing works like a champ...

B

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Nice Linda! I did research these and am still interested. I'll have to check yours out next time. The real question is does Pepper approve?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94