Comfortable sleeping bag

jonathon

We have two Coleman’s very similar to the one you ordered but I believe they are 20 or 30 degree bags. One is about 10 years old and is on its last legs, the other is 3 years old. They hold up well and work good. Zipped them together and they fit perfect on a double size air mattress. Made a sleeping bag liner out of two double sheets. I put a wool blanket between the air mattress and sheet to help with insulation. If it’s cold we add a wool blanket to the sleeping bag.

I see no reason to buy a backpacking sleeping bag for car camping unless you’re trying to fit a family in a Subaru.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
We have two Coleman’s very similar to the one you ordered but I believe they are 20 or 30 degree bags. One is about 10 years old and is on its last legs, the other is 3 years old. They hold up well and work good. Zipped them together and they fit perfect on a double size air mattress. Made a sleeping bag liner out of two double sheets. I put a wool blanket between the air mattress and sheet to help with insulation. If it’s cold we add a wool blanket to the sleeping bag.

I see no reason to buy a backpacking sleeping bag for car camping unless you’re trying to fit a family in a Subaru.
You actually need a better sleeping bag if you are car camping because a car has zero thermal properties and the metal will attract the cold making you twice as cold as you would be in a tent, and all the Glass is the biggest loss of heat.

The floor of my van is lined as is the roof to some degree but my camper conversion has a mattress which does insulate to some extent, I have Gas powered heaters but to avoid CO2 I have since added a 50w 240v heater just to be on the safe side.

JimBiram

Adventurer
As far as the ones you can't wash, there's not a chance in hell I'm have a sleeping bag I can't wash.

I like the Teton bag, had one in my check out cart on Amazon until I realized I couldn't wash it.

I'm going to check on things the next day or so but probably can go with the Coleman. The bag I'm looking at has very good reviews on Amazon.

I have washed my Teton XL bag several times in my front load washer and it washes beautifully with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
"Don't put sleeping bags in a washing machine or dryer, as this may damage zippers, reduce warmth, and voids your warranty. "

When I got married I had to invest in a large capacity, expensive washer and dryer because of "delicates"...whatever they are.

In the last 10 years I've learned that absolutely everything I've washed on the delicate setting with very mild soaps (almost always Woolite) has lived to tell the tale. Down sleeping bags included. The down bags probably get washed four time each year.

I think it all boils down to the mild soaps combined with drying at very low heat for long periods of time. Pretty much air drying with forced air. It takes 3 or 4 hours to dry each bag.

The only synthetic sleeping bags we have are for the puppies. We have six of them between the house and camping rigs. They wash just fine as delicates too but take even longer to dry than down for some reason.

I'm not saying that Teton doesn't know what they are talking about. I can understand why it might be easier for them to just tell people, "Don't wash 'em in machines!". That said, I wouldn't hesitate to wash any sleeping bag as a delicate and dry with very little or no heat. Even Tetons'.

Just zip up all the zippers and turn 'em inside out first. ;)

MOguy

Explorer
When I got married I had to invest in a large capacity, expensive washer and dryer because of "delicates"...whatever they are.

In the last 10 years I've learned that absolutely everything I've washed on the delicate setting with very mild soaps (almost always Woolite) has lived to tell the tale. Down sleeping bags included. The down bags probably get washed four time each year.

I think it all boils down to the mild soaps combined with drying at very low heat for long periods of time. Pretty much air drying with forced air. It takes 3 or 4 hours to dry each bag.

The only synthetic sleeping bags we have are for the puppies. We have six of them between the house and camping rigs. They wash just fine as delicates too but take even longer to dry than down for some reason.

I'm not saying that Teton doesn't know what they are talking about. I can understand why it might be easier for them to just tell people, "Don't wash 'em in machines!". That said, I wouldn't hesitate to wash any sleeping bag as a delicate and dry with very little or no heat. Even Tetons'.

Just zip up all the zippers and turn 'em inside out first. ;)

It's your sleeping bag, you're allowed to do what you want with it.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
It's your sleeping bag, you're allowed to do what you want with it.

You know, you have been a very special member of a very exclusive list for about five years (since the week I joined the portal). A few months ago I took you off that list (where you, by purely undeserved accident) coexisted with several obnoxious, belligerent, and/or socially retarded members of Expo. I suppose that I simply needed to verify that you continue to behave in the same gracious, affable, and socially adept manner that you had previously.

Let's just say that things turned out as they were expected to. Just takes time. ;)

In any case (because you asked the group), I suggest that you buy whatever sleeping bag that you can find at K-Mart immediately. Then, DO NOT WASH IT. Ever. Pay special attention to the directions provided to you by the Chinese engineer that designed that sleeping bag or YOU WILL BE SORRY. He has your best interest at heart and warranties matter!

Or...wash it properly when needed.

Or...don't.

Nobody cares.

Understand that I take this matter seriously and want to help you. I accidentally voided the warranty on a $100.00 sleeping bag once and I am still trying to recover. Those were dark days man. I washed a sleeping bag with a machine and it was so screwed up afterword that I had to ask the kids to sleep in the dogs' sleeping bags. It all turned out for the better though. Now the dogs sleep in the Chinese bag and everyone is happy.

Just joking. I wouldn't make my dogs sleep in Chinese sleeping bags.

Meanwhile, back on the list for you!

MOguy

Explorer
You know, you have been a very special member of a very exclusive list for about five years (since the week I joined the portal). A few months ago I took you off that list (where you, by purely undeserved accident) coexisted with several obnoxious, belligerent, and/or socially retarded members of Expo. I suppose that I simply needed to verify that you continue to behave in the same gracious, affable, and socially adept manner that you had previously.

Let's just say that things turned out as they were expected to. Just takes time. ;)

In any case (because you asked the group), I suggest that you buy whatever sleeping bag that you can find at K-Mart immediately. Then, DO NOT WASH IT. Ever. Pay special attention to the directions provided to you by the Chinese engineer that designed that sleeping bag or YOU WILL BE SORRY. He has your best interest at heart and warranties matter!

Or...wash it properly when needed.

Or...don't.

Nobody cares.

Understand that I take this matter seriously and want to help you. I accidentally voided the warranty on a $100.00 sleeping bag once and I am still trying to recover. Those were dark days man. I washed a sleeping bag with a machine and it was so screwed up afterword that I had to ask the kids to sleep in the dogs' sleeping bags. It all turned out for the better though. Now the dogs sleep in the Chinese bag and everyone is happy.

Just joking. I wouldn't make my dogs sleep in Chinese sleeping bags.

Meanwhile, back on the list for you!

The tenton bag was at the top of the list until I found out I couldn't machine wash it.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but it isn't my fault the manufacturer says you aren't supposed to machine wash Tenton bags.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
If you are unsure about washing them either dry clean them or wash them on a COLD Wash,

I washed one of my 5 season bags once in the Bath Tub and It weighed more than I do when wet, and then I managed to hang it on a Cloths Airer while in the Tub for the water to drain and that alone took 3 days, then it was just soaking wet and took about a week to dry,

Washing Sleeping Bags is full of pit falls, Yes I have done it but when wet you will need help to hang it up, LOL.

F350joe

Washing down is a no go, no way around it, it just won’t insulate like it used to. Sleeping bags get nasty, the OP wants to wash his bag In not water without it falling apart over time. Sure, you can wash a bag not recommended to be washed or he can get a bag that was designed to washed. I can throw my wiggy bag in the wash, yes on gentle, then in the dryer(low), with whatever soap I want and it is guarantied for a lifetime to not fall apart. All the threads, zippers, and filling can handle being washed. The nylon won’t melt, the threads won’t break, and the zipper will stay true.
My down bag is worthless, good bag, but got puked on and had to be washed. It’s the dog bed now. Zipper is out of wack and the down is clumped. 30 degree bag is now maybe a 50 degree bag after washing it. Here’s the thing, not washing the bag is bad too. The oils and dirt will destroy it. The only reason to get a bag that can not be washed is because you are trying to save weight.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Washing down is a no go, no way around it, it just won’t insulate like it used to. Sleeping bags get nasty, the OP wants to wash his bag In not water without it falling apart over time. Sure, you can wash a bag not recommended to be washed or he can get a bag that was designed to washed. I can throw my wiggy bag in the wash, yes on gentle, then in the dryer(low), with whatever soap I want and it is guarantied for a lifetime to not fall apart. All the threads, zippers, and filling can handle being washed. The nylon won’t melt, the threads won’t break, and the zipper will stay true.
My down bag is worthless, good bag, but got puked on and had to be washed. It’s the dog bed now. Zipper is out of wack and the down is clumped. 30 degree bag is now maybe a 50 degree bag after washing it. Here’s the thing, not washing the bag is bad too. The oils and dirt will destroy it. The only reason to get a bag that can not be washed is because you are trying to save weight.
If you use a Liner that will keep it cleaner for longer, All my bags are synthetic because they will keep you warm when they are wet, My New bag weighs around 14Lbs the weight does not matter because it is made for winter fishing sleeping outside and I bought it for sleeping in my MPV/Camper So I won't be hiking anywhere with it, I have other bags for that, The main reason for this one is to provide warmth in winter without using heating be it 12v or Gas.

JimBiram

Adventurer
If you choose to wash your bag, you should only use a front load washer as it only uses the tumble action to wash, much like commercial dry cleaners would use. A mild soap (Woolight) won’t leave residue in the fibers of either down or poly. Drying should be low temp, with tennis balls or an old tennis shoe to fluff the fibers. Been washing like that for years. Just don’t try it in a top load or a regular size washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles