Comfortable sleeping bag

dbhost

When it comes to this activity I'm mostly a weekend warrior, and not wanting to lay out that much money. I do understand the value of good products.

I'm actually washing some sleeping bags right now from my kids sleepover. I didn't even think about the washability issue until you brought it up.

The Coleman bag is washable, I have a older Coleman bag that serve me well.

Coleman is big name, it used to be very respected, not sure about now. It seems all too often the older companies that build a reputation for themselves end up selling out and go cheap.

Valid point, and one of the reasons I haven't landed a new tent yet. My Coleman bags are over 15 years old, so hard to say what's going on with them now...

The_Hoff

I stopped using sleeping bags ages ago. We camp with duvets now. Down duvets if it’s winter. Toss them up on the roofrack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westy

Adventurer
Take a look at Wiggy's, they make the bags here in the USA. These are built to last, quality materials, zippers, etc. Pretty good value for the cost I thought.

I've been using one of their rectangular hunter light bags for last six years, very happy with it.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
If you aren't worried about size or weight, try a surplus military bag. Some have multiple layers just like layering clothes. With a little searching you can probably find them fairly inexpensively.

Take a look at these bag liners. I have two of them and they work well if you like flannel. The cool part is that they are cut like a down sleeping bag quilt, so your feet don't fall out of them at night. It's a lot easier to wash a liner than a sleeping bag.

If you go with a liner, I'd suggest that you have someone sew tie strings to your bag and the liner so that you can line them up together (and they will stay lined up). Otherwise it's easy to get tangled up in a liner.

I too vote for Miltary Sleep System. Multi bag approach. Usually 3 or 5 pieces depending on if it has bivy sack. You can use either bag singularly or combined for extreme temps.

Reactions: plh

MOguy

Explorer
If you aren't worried about size or weight, try a surplus military bag. Some have multiple layers just like layering clothes. With a little searching you can probably find them fairly inexpensively.

Take a look at these bag liners. I have two of them and they work well if you like flannel. The cool part is that they are cut like a down sleeping bag quilt, so your feet don't fall out of them at night. It's a lot easier to wash a liner than a sleeping bag.

If you go with a liner, I'd suggest that you have someone sew tie strings to your bag and the liner so that you can line them up together (and they will stay lined up). Otherwise it's easy to get tangled up in a liner.
I spent a more than a few nights in different types that have been issued to me while I was in the Army. They work really well but they are just too confining.

I am definitely going to consider a liner.

MOguy

Explorer
As far as the ones you can't wash, there's not a chance in hell I'm have a sleeping bag I can't wash.

I like the Teton bag, had one in my check out cart on Amazon until I realized I couldn't wash it.

I'm going to check on things the next day or so but probably can go with the Coleman. The bag I'm looking at has very good reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Slumberjack Country Squire can't be beat.

If that is too much $$$ go with the Big Timber, almostmas comfy and a lot cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have had the Slumberjack cold weather mummy bag since Boy Scouts, it is over 40 years old and still looks brand new and it is used allot. I remember going with my dad to buy it. It is just to restricting for me. My son uses it now.

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Have you tried a "backpacking quilt"? They are just a blanket with a foot box sewn in the end. I love 'em because I'm a plus-sized adventurer and they are not constrictive like a mummy bag. Very easy to get in and out, very easy to vent if you are too hot, and very easy to keep your feet warm.

I use a couple of down quilts for camping...but for home I talked my mother-in-law into sewing a foot box into a K-Mart down comforter. Worked like a charm and is reasonably priced. Of course, it's sewn-through and doesn't have any baffles (which is good for sleeping in the house). That could be a problem if you are going to use it outside.

Some will say that it is hard to stay warm in a quilt. I learned how to tuck it in properly without much trouble.

Picture is just to show the design:
CF6F77DA-778E-4582-9D07-0A80D358AF75.jpeg

If you tend to sleep "hot" and twist n turn, these things are the bomb.

I have had the Slumberjack cold weather mummy bag since Boy Scouts, it is over 40 years old and still looks brand new and it is used allot. It is just to restricting for me. My son uses it now.
The one I sent you is large enough for 2 people, is a square bag, available in 3 diffeerent insulation ratings and is just as robust as your old mummy bag.

That Coleman looks good too, good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
Have you tried a "backpacking quilt"? They are just a blanket with a foot box sewn in the end. I love 'em because I'm a plus-sized adventurer and they are not constrictive like a mummy bag. Very easy to get in and out, very easy to vent if you are too hot, and very easy to keep your feet warm.

I use a couple of down quilts for camping...but for home I talked my mother-in-law into sewing a foot box into a K-Mart down comforter. Worked like a charm and is reasonably priced. Of course, it's sewn-through and doesn't have any baffles (which is good for sleeping in the house). That could be a problem if you are going to use it outside.

Some will say that it is hard to stay warm in a quilt. I learned how to tuck it in properly without much trouble.

Picture is just to show the design:
View attachment 564593

If you tend to sleep "hot" and twist n turn, these things are the bomb.

The "backpacking quilt" are more expensive than the sleeping bags. I like the idea of making your own.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have a few 5 season Bags but I just bought the ultimate Sleeping Bag by Trakker, Designed for sleeping out in the open In Winter, It can be a 3 season bag or a 5 season bag being a 2 bag system you can sleep between the 2 layers or have 3 below and 1 on top or have 1 below and 3 above and the inner part is fleece lined which you can reverse if it gets a bit OTT and it has Crash Zips either side of it and it is 100% waterproof, I doubt if the cold could ever get through this thing, and it has heaps of room, I love my other 5 season bags but this new one I would class as a 7 or 8 season Bag if there was such a thing, :love: :love: :love:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The "backpacking quilt" are more expensive than the sleeping bags. I like the idea of making your own.
Here ya go Mo, This is the Trakker 365 sleeping bag I just bought, It is designed for sleeping outside in the rain and Snow,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles