Comfortable sleeping bag

67cj5

Man On a Mission
this one
That should do the job, I like the wide fitting giving you room to move, I never tried em before until I bought this big one, but I think you made the right choice, good luck, hope it works out,

Weather here (UK) next week or so it is meant to Snow and I am nearly packed ready to go, I can't wait to give the new Bag a test run, (y)

Superduty

Adventurer
Washing down is a no go, no way around it, it just won’t insulate like it used to. Sleeping bags get nasty, the OP wants to wash his bag In not water without it falling apart over time. Sure, you can wash a bag not recommended to be washed or he can get a bag that was designed to washed. I can throw my wiggy bag in the wash, yes on gentle, then in the dryer(low), with whatever soap I want and it is guarantied for a lifetime to not fall apart. All the threads, zippers, and filling can handle being washed. The nylon won’t melt, the threads won’t break, and the zipper will stay true.
My down bag is worthless, good bag, but got puked on and had to be washed. It’s the dog bed now. Zipper is out of wack and the down is clumped. 30 degree bag is now maybe a 50 degree bag after washing it. Here’s the thing, not washing the bag is bad too. The oils and dirt will destroy it. The only reason to get a bag that can not be washed is because you are trying to save weight.

How do the Geese that supply the feathers survive (when they are alive...before they supplied the feathers)?

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Washing down is a no go, no way around it, it just won’t insulate like it used to.

If you don't wash your down sleeping bag, it will noticeably lose loft and insulating power over time. If you wash and dry it properly the loft will be restored. Not a fun job, but the much lower weight and packed size are worth the effort. Just make sure you read up on how to do it first.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
If you choose to wash your bag, you should only use a front load washer as it only uses the tumble action to wash, much like commercial dry cleaners would use. A mild soap (Woolight) won’t leave residue in the fibers of either down or poly. Drying should be low temp, with tennis balls or an old tennis shoe to fluff the fibers. Been washing like that for years. Just don’t try it in a top load or a regular size washer.

Front-loading is probably ideal, but I've always washed my down bags in top-loading washers at home and haven't destroyed one yet. I

67cj5

Man On a Mission
How do the Geese that supply the feathers survive (when they are alive...before they supplied the feathers)?
They secret natural oils from their skin that seep in to the down layers which then gets transferred to their feathers, Because they are always preening them selves and their feathers are on the outside they dry within minutes also because their feathers are anchored to their bodies in layers and not all loose like they are in a sleeping bag there is no chance f them clumping when they get wet, Their natural oils disperse water within seconds so there is little chance of them ever getting wet and this protects the warm trapped air close to their skin which does 2 things One it keeps them warm and Two it makes them more Buoyant in the water.

F350joe

So what i have learned from this thread is that you should just travel with a flock of pack-geese. You can wash them in the river and put them in a nylon bag to stay warm at night.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
So what i have learned from this thread is that you should just travel with a flock of pack-geese. You can wash them in the river and put them in a nylon bag to stay warm at night.
LOL, No, A synthetic bag will keep you warm even when it is wet, And your body heat will force the damp air outwards, I put it to the test using gloves, even though I had to wring them out they still kept my hands warm,

Excess moisture is not so much of an issue where it is seriously cold because it does not rain when it's that cold which makes Down a better option, My new synthetic bag will smoke any Down bag, and if it happens to get wet then still the cold won't be an issue, Being classed as a 5 season bag it is extremely H/D, I have other top of the line 5 season bags and one of them is rated to -50*c but this new one is like 3 or 4 of them in One. And if it ever got that cold where I had to put one of the others inside it we would be talking temps of -80 Below maybe even colder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles