Colorado ZR2 Bison Build

Rook213

Looks, good, but a word of warning with that RTT being cantilevered over the back, you are screwing with center of gravity and weight distribution. Definitely do not tow with the RTT on it like that, and be careful with how much weight you have going to the back. While there haven't been many bent frames on a ZR2, all the ones I've seen have had to much weight past the bed. With that setup I would mount your spare in the bed as close to the cab, rather than a hitch mount carrier.

I would also suggest seeing if CBI offers cross bar lifters (I know Leitner does) so that you can shift the weight of the RTT forward above the cab.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just don't want to see you go down a dangerous path with the way the weight is being distributed.

By all means, I'm new at this. I take all advice I can get. I'll see if i can find lifters on CBI. If not, I'll see if Leitner's will work :)

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Rook,

Do you notice the Snorkel blocking much view on the passenegr side form the inside?

Thanks

I have a 2019 ZR2, that is my new daily driver and doing a slow build on it.

emulous74

Rook,

Do you notice the Snorkel blocking much view on the passenegr side form the inside?

Thanks

I have a 2019 ZR2, that is my new daily driver and doing a slow build on it.
I have the snorkel and while it does block a minuscule amount of the view, it's not blocking much of anything and it's definitely not intrusive. I've never had a instance, where I've said, I can't see something because of it.

AEV/GM did a really good job of designing this snorkel. And Dave from AEV even said it was crash tested and roll over tested on the vehicle when designing it.

YetiX

100% agree with emulous74. I almost never notice it while driving.
ua5gHd.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thank you guys I really appreciate the insight. It seems like a good design, and I had not heard any complaints. But thought worth checking before I cut a hole. I spend a lot of time doing remote medical and safety work. So much dust, Do I need it....Probably not, will it help yes. Do i want it, also yes.

Last edited:

emulous74

I second the recommendation on the pre-air filter Sy-clone. You can imagine how dusty things get during the summer here in Texas, especially West Texas and New Mexico. I purchased one after going through a major dust storm and had to change out my air filter two times in two hours.

YetiX

I highly recommend Sy-clone pre filter for your snorkel. They're not cheap but pay for themselves in airfilter savings. View attachment 765740
Not to completely derail this thread, but this winter I have done a lot of driving in VERY rainy conditions. I was worried about the rain going in my snorkel but even when I got home from my one-day drive home from Oregon where it rained the entire trip, there was not much water in the air box and the filter was dry. That said, I was worried about it.

Long way of asking whether the Sy-clone has any bad impacts? Like on mpg or noise?

(none)

Adventurer
I ran the Sy-clone for a few years on a JK with snorkel. When i bought the jeep it had the snorkel already, with the forward facing scoop. I was very surprised how many bugs and other crap ended up in the filter.
Swapped to the sy-clone and never looked back. Couldn't tell any difference from a runability aspect, but the filter stayed MUCH cleaner.

Jeep is long gone, i kept the sy-clone to put on another project that never showed up. If anyone needs one cheap that will fit a 4" snorkel, feel free to message me.

emulous74

When I first installed the Sy-clone, I installed it in the wrong direction and it was quiet as could be. When I realized that the ejection slot needs to be faced towards the rear, I rotated it to the correct position. Now I can hear the blades when I step on the throttle hard as well as some intake noise. But I kind of like it.

Rook213

Ok, so I'm looking at now adding a winch and some recovery gear and some minor gear for camping. I want to add a winch, and the AEV winch mounting kit says it was designed with the WARN Zeon 10-S winch. So i'm wondering, what winches have yall gone with if you have the Bison?

I'm not going to add electrics to the bed yet because I stil want to see what I will need for my purposes. Lights and what not will be a later addition.

emulous74

For the Bison bumper, there are two kits (both made by AEV), directly from AEV is for for the Warn Zeon 10-S, and through Chevrolet Accessories is the ComeUp 9.5rs.

I've had the ComeUp for about 3 years now and it has never let me down. I do suggest getting a friend to help you install it, I did install it myself, but don't recommend that.

Rook213

Awesome, i'll look into the ComeUp! Thanks! I think I have some friends that are willing to give me a hand installing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier