Colorado Trails 2018 (G500)

Dignum

Wrapping up our 2nd week exploring Colorado. We drove hundreds of miles of dirt roads and found many beautiful camping locations. We started in Durango and headed north to the town of Silverton where we began the Alpine Loop Trail, definitely visiting this trail again next year. We completed the Alpine Loop trail and headed to Ouray via the Mineral Pass trail. From Ouray we tackled Black Bear Pass. Up next was Ophir pass that led to Telluride where we began Last Dollar Road. Then we headed North to County Road 12 that led into Crested Butte. There are amazing aspen forests along this road. We spent the last 3 nights in campsites along National forest roads near Evergreen and Boulder. Took care of some business in Denver and now heading back to Los Angeles. Trying to figure out the route back home, open to suggestions.

Here are some photos from the last 2 weeks. I still have some interior modifications I will be making, but overall I'm very happy with the set up. Next major upgrade will be suspension. I'm running the stock set up with spacers and noticed some sag in the rear when fully loaded. Also would love to get some sliders, but managed to get through mineral pass and black bear pass with zero clearance issues.
IMG_4465.JPG
IMG_4500.JPGIMG_4441.JPGIMG_4444.JPGIMG_4445.JPGIMG_4427-2.JPG

McBride

Adventurer
Nice adventure G setup! Love that you took the dogs. Great photos. Stiffer springs on the rear would totally help with the sag - talk to Thor at Viking Off-road. He knows G springs reall well and ships quick.

William

MitsyMonty

Thanks for the trip report and great photos. Did you take extra fuel with your or were you able to make it using the stock tank?

Dignum

Thank you, William. I will be giving Thor a call soon.

MitsyMonty, No extra fuel was needed. There is fuel in all 3 towns that you will enter... Silverton, Ouray and Lake City. I chose to fill up as a precaution but I would have been fine if I did not.

I just got back to Los Angeles. The Alpine loop was so much fun I ended up doing it again on the way back down. I went from Silverton to Animas Forks, Animas Forks to Engineer Pass, Engineer Pass led to Lake City (my favorite portion), Lake City to Cinnamon Pass, Cinnamon pass hit Animas Forks again and back down to Silverton. It took about 6 hours of driving which I stretched out by 2 days.

There's a great little campground near Animas Forks right before you hit the town if you are heading from SIlverton. Here are some Photos....

IMG_4577.JPGIMG_4580.JPGIMG_4628.JPG

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Beautiful trip report, I miss the trails in Colorado, lived there 7 years. And while we have Moab here in Utah and can be fun, the trail system in Colorado is far more scenic and quiet.

Sempertoy

Explorer
So much awesomeness going on here. I love seeing G wagons being used for their real purpose. I am hoping this is a snap shot into my future (looking to move to CO Springs next year, and purchase a G soon)

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Which FR roof rack are you using? I got the full length from FR's website, but yours seems one slat longer. I also have an Alu Cab awning. Would you mind taking a picture of how you mounted the front mount for the awning? The directions are not very clear. Many, many thanks.

Dignum

Which FR roof rack are you using? I got the full length from FR's website, but yours seems one slat longer. I also have an Alu Cab awning. Would you mind taking a picture of how you mounted the front mount for the awning? The directions are not very clear. Many, many thanks.

Hi Eric, I have the tall full length FR rack, no extra slats. I will try to take a photo of the front mount soon, but the rear mount wraps around the back and the front mount is just placed on the side with bolts from the top and bottom.

ngirondo

This is amazing! The wife and I are planning a trip out to the Alpine loop soon I'm hoping we get there before it closes for the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles