Colorado Teardrops

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Interesting trailers. Nice specs, interesting build options. Very similar to my friends custom build that he just recently finished. Seems pricey, but then again they all are I guess.

GkraneTX

I like the Summit and Mt. Massive models because of the sofa and bunk bed configuration. Gives you another option of sitting comfortably when trying to get out of the rain. They also have an aluminum cabin frame which is a plus for me.

VanIsle_Greg

Yes, having a place to sit inside is a great idea... and with the larger trailers out there this is a great option. There are some called NoBo (No Bounds) out there that are a sort of hybrid Teardrop / Toy Hauler setup, that for a major manufacturer build (Forest River), the are pretty sweet. A bit pricey, but cool, and they also have that seating option.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/no-boundaries

Their 10.5 is a nice setup.

VanIsle_Greg

They even have an 'Overlander' package. lol

Back on track, those Colorado Teardrop trailers are nice. I wish there were some detailed build - process pictures. I would like to see the insulation and how they bond all the siding and aluminum together? My camper is getting the same .40 thou aluminum skins in a natural finish. Its nice and thick and durable, so the trailers should last. If done right, they 'should' be impervious to water.

HMcQ

Curious too. They are high on my list because of low weight, alum construction, fully insulated, price seems appropriate, and possible to customize. Was not thrilled with the suspension / axel and the stock galley is basic.

VanIsle_Greg

Thanks for sharing that. Some interesting stuff there, and lots of rivets on those units. The thermal break between the exterior plywood and the aluminum frame using the Reflectix type insulation is interesting? I wonder why they didn't go with say a 3M type adhesive? Would add to rigidity and serve the same purpose while bonding the skin to the frame.

Other than that seems like pretty standard fare. I dig the roof panels at the front, with all the smaller strips. Pretty cool.

GkraneTX

I am really surprised that I couldn't find any info on these trailers using all types of searches on the board. They have been around since I think 2014 and are moving into a new larger facility. They seem to tick off a lot of the boxes in what I want in a trailer. Especially when it comes to the aluminum cabin frame. I have probably done hundreds of hours of research on all different builders (I get obsessive about research before making large purchases) and and these guys seem to offer what I need although there is always some compromise. The 2 bunk bed configuration that fold into a sofa and still retains a full size queen bed for me is a huge plus.

Arringtonpalmer

1st post, Necropost.

Wondering the same thing that @GkraneTX was a couple years ago, search yield the same results. These tic a lot of blocks that other's don't for us. Could DIY something similar out of steel for a lot more weight.

Given the specs, and the deliberate use of the word "overland" in their marketing, the lack of mention anywhere here makes me wonder if there is a dirty secret other than a basic failure to penetrate this community/market. Has anyone on the board put some real miles on one of these in 2020?

@Arringtonpalmer

Don't know what boxes you are looking to check. But we bought a similar looking trailer from CARP expedition (Formerly Bear teardrops) It's not aluminum frame but is about 10K cheaper. We have had it for 3 years and love it and their customer service is awesome.

Louisd75

Adventurer
1st post, Necropost.

Wondering the same thing that @GkraneTX was a couple years ago, search yield the same results. These tic a lot of blocks that other's don't for us. Could DIY something similar out of steel for a lot more weight.

Given the specs, and the deliberate use of the word "overland" in their marketing, the lack of mention anywhere here makes me wonder if there is a dirty secret other than a basic failure to penetrate this community/market. Has anyone on the board put some real miles on one of these in 2020?

I haven't heard anything negative. I'm not a fan of the construction method. I think it lends itself to thermal bridging and internal condensation issues where the aluminum and internal skin meet. The galley design on the bigger ones seems like a good source of leaks, though it does open up more usable space. The big thing that would stop me from pulling the trigger (besides all the kitschy buzzwords on the website) is the pricing. The base model bare bones Colorado Teardrops trailer comes in at $14,000, the base model of their most expensive trailer comes in just shy of $30,000. There are a lot of things that aren't included in those models that are standard with other builders.

Arringtonpalmer

I agree that the price is really high for a trailer with no power, water, etc.

What makes me interested is the queen and bunk bed arrangement. Allowing my family of 4 to sleep in a hard sided camped for the next 5+ years. We are winter people. The RTTs are awesome until that cold wind blows.

I guess I cold weld up a similar layout in steel for less than 1/3 the cost though. Maybe a couple hundred pounds lighter, and since the tow vehicle is a first gen Tundra it's probably not a real problem. Stop looking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94