Colorado owners likes /dislikes

jadmt

ignore button user
so I too am looking at the ZR2 but I swear my jkur with 4.10's and 35's feels like it leaves it for dead (gas model which is what I want) and the ZR2 mpg does not seem very good. I for some reason was expecting they would do better on mpg. I have found a few bison editions but dealers are not very willing to negotiate on those.

jadmt

ignore button user
Not mine but a buddy has a ZR2. So far it is faultless. Ride, comfort, seating second to none. I drive a TJR, he has no trouble following and gets a much "plusher" ride in the process. Me, I'd buy the base model just cuz I hate technology..... and add lockers. The only real performance option that is night and day different is 4WD vs 4WD all locked up. Lockers at both ends are what count.

Some of the Bison options are built for speed but this is an overlander forum, not trophy truck forum. Pick the model which matches your budget AND intended use.

how so? The bison suspension is the same as standard ZR2. problem for me personally with getting a base model zr1 is the axles are not the same as the ZR2 and even adding lockers you still have a narrower track and not near the suspension. I think maybe adding the AEV fender flares that let you run 35's would be nice but then you are looking at needed to regear...

Smileyshaun

Observer
so I too am looking at the ZR2 but I swear my jkur with 4.10's and 35's feels like it leaves it for dead (gas model which is what I want) and the ZR2 mpg does not seem very good. I for some reason was expecting they would do better on mpg. I have found a few bison editions but dealers are not very willing to negotiate on those.

ok it’s not just me , I wasn’t overly impressed with the power output on the Colorado for having more lower and torque than most of its competition it just seems to kind of lag a bit taking off. Now if they could just put the Rangers motor and transmission in the Zr2 you would have one amazing truck

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
My wife’s daily is a 2019 ZR2 (this thing will be a pavement princess) and my brother has a 2018 Z71 that he daily drives. Both are great trucks, but with midsize trucks there are Pro’s and Con’s.

Random Thoughts:
- Good interior space up front (I’m 6’8” and have plenty of room)
- Fuel economy is good for the V-6
- The V-6 is fairly peppy, but it’s not a rocket ship
- The front seats are decently comfortable. My brothers Z71 has a cloth/leather combo and they seem a little softer than the ZR2 seats
- The back seat is ok for room, but not huge. Again, midsize truck issue
- Cup holders are a joke as well as the storage in the pocket door
- No dual climate control available
- No push button start available
- No Blind Spot Monitoring available
- No 360 Camera available
- Factory headlights are terrible!

If your in the midsize truck market, the Colorado is hard to beat. It’s definitely worth looking at.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
The mpgs in my opinion are not really that impressive In the midsize segment my current truck a 06 GMC Sierra 4x4 gets 19-20 on the freeway and 15-16 around town And oddly is only 5” longer than a long bed midsize and only a inch wider than a zr2 .. I really did think the midsize trucks were smaller than they were. I don’t know part of me was just thinking about keeping my current truck it’s a lot of money to spend on a vehicle that gets nearly the same mileage but has a smaller interior.

Smileyshaun

Observer

unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be a very good time for truck shopping as most lots have almost no vehicles in stock and they seem to fly out the door as soon as they get unloaded off the truck .

jadmt

ignore button user
Maybe comparing to a Trophy Truck is over the top but the Bison is definitely capable of traversing the ground faster than the Work truck. And that comes from Chevrolets own web site. Not to say a Bison is a bad buy, just that it is maybe overkill if all you want to do is access remote camping sites. The Work Truck version will just get there a bit slower and likely dodging the bigger obstacles.

View attachment 605617

Overlanding for me is about choosing the path of least resistance, not looking for the challenge of the biggest obstacles. But as I said, the Bison is an awesome, faultless truck.

Pick the model which suits your budget and intended use.
are you meaning ZR2 compared to ZR1 or base model? The ZR2 is mechanically the same as a ZR2 bison edition. the bison addition just comes with AEV bumpers, wheels and skids and badge packaging.

jadmt

ignore button user
The mpgs in my opinion are not really that impressive In the midsize segment my current truck a 06 GMC Sierra 4x4 gets 19-20 on the freeway and 15-16 around town And oddly is only 5” longer than a long bed midsize and only a inch wider than a zr2 .. I really did think the midsize trucks were smaller than they were. I don’t know part of me was just thinking about keeping my current truck it’s a lot of money to spend on a vehicle that gets nearly the same mileage but has a smaller interior.
there are guys in new (2019 and 2020) power wagons with the 6.4 and new 8sp in the same ball park mpg wise. makes no sense. I have a buyer coming for my recon and have my choices narrowed down to a PW, JT or ZR2.

I have a 2017 Colorado Z71 CCSB Duramax diesel I've put 42K miles on. I have been a lifelong Toyota guy and relatively anti-chevy person (grew up in Michigan avoiding GM during my Engineering career). I bought mine primarily for the diesel engine, and have to say its been reliable, powerful, and relatively maintenance free so far. I've always driven mini-trucks and Land Cruisers, and moving to this Colorado felt very large at first, even with the short box. I've quickly adapted and truly enjoy getting 23mpg around town and 28+mpg on trips. This is often heavily laden, probably over the GVW and driving highways 75-85 mph through mountains cross-country.

I bought mine just prior to the release of the ZR-2, but I already have good trail vehicles and wanted the Colorado for mostly camping, towing, and taking road trips. It has been adequate off-road, but not tank-tough like my older mini-trucks and cruisers. My suspension is pretty soft and will be replaced soon, with more tuning for towing a trailer.

It comes down to how you want to compromise and balance daily needs, hauling, camping, and hard-core wheeling. The ZR-2 is definitely the best off road, but gives up economy and towing to the "lesser" models. As much as I like the Tacoma's, for me the Colorado diesel has been exceptional. I do have to complain about the 5 foot bed being just short enough to not be able to sleep in comfortably, which was something I could do in my former old '89 Toy p'up, even though it was much smaller.

skyfree

2018 ZR2 Duramax with 45,000 miles here

1. Great daily driver. My wife drove it to Reno one day and got pulled over by a cop going down from Spooner Summit on highway 50 above Carson City. That's a very bendy road with a 50 mph speed limit. The cop said "I followed you for several miles and your speed never dropped below 70mph". She rarely drives the truck and this pretty much says it all. She said she was just zoned out looking at the scenery and enjoying the drive.
2. Great off - road in stock form. Everyone here knows that, but I'll say it again. I can hang with my very experienced friends crawling. I do plan on going to 32's for my next set of tires, but other than shock mount skids it's completely stock.
3. Looks great (to me)
4. Tows our Escape 17B trailer effortlessly. Average MPG towing is 17, and I tow right at 74mph on the freeway. Trailer is over 3,000 lbs loaded with water. That is about the MPG I got in my last Toyota Tacoma unloaded.
5. I love the subwoofer and Bose sound. The subwoofer is an accessory sold by Chevy for this truck.
6. Large fuel tank. The specs say 21 gallons, but it's actually larger than that. The filler tube extends down into the tank creating a void above. The pump will shut off at about 21.5 gallons but you can easily fit 23.5 in it. After the pump shuts off, I slow pump 2 more gallons. Been doing that for 25,000 miles with no adverse effects. The range is great when towing or off-road.

Dislikes:
1. Squeaks in the suspension -- especially on hard small hits like potholes. I had the dealership look at it and they lubed it up and it went away for like a week and then came back. Oh well -- not a serious problem.
2. Phone charger -- been discussed to death here
3. There have been reports that the DPF has been failing after 80,000 miles. Time will tell. Likewise, the EGR valve can get seriously gunked up. There have been some stuck injectors and wrist pin failures. These are diesel issues and most people know what they are signing up for when they go diesel these days.
4. More power would be nice. I towed the trailer over Sonora pass once, with a full load and 3 adults and a big dog in the truck. Sonora has a section of 25% grade and it was a little concerning to be floored and losing speed. The trans refused to downshift probably due to trans temps which tend to run high. I'm thinking about getting a GDE tune which includes transmission reprogramming and more power to address this.

That's all I can think of right now. I am picking up my OVRLND camper in a couple of weeks, so have made a serious commitment to keeping the truck for the long-term.

drabina

I have 2018 Z71 V6 4x4. Not sure if it has been mentioned here but the transmission shudder is an issue. My truck already went for the trans fluid flush but still it shudders occasionally. What I have also experienced is that the transmission gears are set for maximizing mpg. The RPMs will be low most of the time and that's when I think the shudder comes from. That plus the annoying squeaks from the safety belt mounting locations and smell from AC if you turn your engine off for 10-15 mins and start it back again (both have service bulletins available). Other than that, the truck is good. Decent size, nice looks and good performance from the V6 though mpg numbers could be a bit better. I am averaging only 18mpg (75% city / 25% highway). Technology at least in 2018 Z71 model is non-existing. Besides the Android Auto, there are no other features like line assist, blind spot monitoring, keyless start/stop, etc. I think the LT model had some but that's a step down when it comes to suspension I think.

Thegiantpeaches

I have 2018 Z71 V6 4x4. Not sure if it has been mentioned here but the transmission shudder is an issue. My truck already went for the trans fluid flush but still it shudders occasionally. What I have also experienced is that the transmission gears are set for maximizing mpg. The RPMs will be low most of the time and that's when I think the shudder comes from. That plus the annoying squeaks from the safety belt mounting locations and smell from AC if you turn your engine off for 10-15 mins and start it back again (both have service bulletins available). Other than that, the truck is good. Decent size, nice looks and good performance from the V6 though mpg numbers could be a bit better. I am averaging only 18mpg (75% city / 25% highway). Technology at least in 2018 Z71 model is non-existing. Besides the Android Auto, there are no other features like line assist, blind spot monitoring, keyless start/stop, etc. I think the LT model had some but that's a step down when it comes to suspension I think.
that's the gm 8 spd tranny for ya. I had trailboss with 5.3 and 8spd, same issue, tranny shudder but not all the time.
Mileage is debatable as I get 14-15mpg on 2020 zr2 bison with V6 but that's with roof top tent above the cab height, winch, slightly oversize(32" 10ply stt pro). Sadly, my old trailboss got better mileage at 17mpg with roof top tent and fully loaded with gear on trips.

I wish they added aux switches with bison package

Last edited:

ebg18t

Adventurer
The 8sp tranny shutter appears for the most part eliminated now that the proper fluid is being used. There was a TSB and folks are getting a double flush with the proper fluid and the results look promising. It seems the ‘20 forward models were filled properly.

The ZR2 is great for what it is. But the tech is average, maybe slightly below average given the price. I don’t miss the start-stop function that is so common now. Living rural I also don’t feel I am missing tech like blind spot monitoring or lane assist. CarPlay works 50% of the time and the dealerships don’t know why.

The DSSV shocks are starting to show signs of leaking as people are getting to 36k+ miles.

I find the seats comfortable, but the rear space is still kind of limiting. I know it’s a mid size, but I expected a tad more space in my crew cab.

On the ZR2 without upgrading a bumper (or getting the bison) you don’t get basic things like fog lamps. I actually liked using fog lamps in the handful of days that we get heavy fog or during winter blowing snow to help to keep an eye on the edge of the road.

Depending on what you need the bed for, the 5’ bed might be kind of limiting. It’s just short enough that mtn bikes don’t quite fit. But it’s hard to find a ZR2 in the long bed, the Z71 long beds are more prevalent.

Aftermarket support is getting better, but will never be like Toyota or Jeep. I purchased the ZR2 as it ticked most the boxes I wanted stock, without having to go thru the upgrades.

kmbldr

Currently own a '18 ZR2 duramax, and so far have been loving it. My previous vehicle was a '15 Tacoma but with a new wife and dogs I decided to switch to a 4door short bed automatic (taco was access cab, long bed, manual) so I went shopping for a new Tacoma. Found a great deal on a used zr2, then by some miracle found someone's GoFast Camper used and snatched them up. So far I have no regrets.

Camping with the GFC has been great, but you care about the truck. Offroad it is a treat but the diesel is definitely slow off the line. I'm planning on a tune and switching to 4.10 gearing. Depending on the terrain you plan to be in, seriously consider budgeting 7-800 to relocate the rear shock mounts [1] (350 for parts, 3-500 for labor). They hung so low they drove me ********** crazy and I always worried about damaging them. You can also combine it with a Timbren ubolt flip & rear bumpstop for smoother rear-end play and it'll get everything above the axle [2]. As far as I'm concerned the factory sliders are cosmetic and not really useful beyond looking cool (I plan on white knuckle sliders [3]).

I miss having foglights, and radio reception with the camper & stubby antenna could be better. I don't like the nav system and speakers are fine otherwise the interior is great overall. Heated seats up front and I built removable platforms for the pups so all the gear goes in the bed with the spare relocated in-bed as well. So far this has been working just fine. More in-cab storage would be nice, plan on getting seat-back organizers. There's not much dash room for extras but it doesn't bother me as I don't go crazy with lighting and switches.

Reliability has been great so far. I have put about 15k miles on the truck with several trips from CO -> CA and back and haven't been stranded yet. The diesel is no less boring to me than the v6 from other trucks, but my opinion is that they're trucks and fun driving factor wasn't my top priority. I take out the motorcycle for those thrills.

In daily life, the bed is empty except the spare tucked up against the gfc cab side. Serves me very well, I can get the same amount of stuff in the back as a normal topper and the wing doors make things easy to access and clean out with a blower or broom. It takes about 2 minutes to remove the dog beds, fold up the platforms, and flip up the seats.

[1]: https://589fab.com/products/zr2-rear-shock-relocation
[2]: https://coloradocanyonenthusiasts.c...n-u-bolt-flip-active-off-road-bump-stops-rear
[3]: https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/chevy-colorado-gmc-canyon-2015-newer-rock-sliders/

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
Current 2019 diesel ZR2, coming from a 2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G-56 manual 6 speed.

From 6-10 mpg, empty or towing 10,500 lb, didn't matter.....to 13-25 mpg with the ZR2 diesel. 2x the mpg towing the same 4000 lb camper, 13 vs 6.

The ZR2 certainly is smaller than the PW but so are the repair costs. That's important to us now that we are retired.

Mostly, you just have to be honest with your needs/wants. If someone is actually getting 18 mpg with their PW, they are in the extreme minority. I have found many people tend to embellish when it comes to actual mpg. My best tank is 31.9 on our ZR2 but average is 22-25 empty with the wind at our back.

If you love to bring everything with you, the PW is your vehicle. IMHO, the biggest drawback to the ZR2 is ground clearance and how low the rear shocks hang down. Yet it has gone everywhere we have pointed it, just like the PW did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94