Colorado - Mt. Herard and Great Sand Dune National Park

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Last weekend I made the hike to the summit of Mt. Herard to get a view of the Great Sand Dune National Park and some of the fall colors in the area.

Coming down Medano Pass and into camp Friday night.

At camp Friday night (only person in the area) - this is the second campground nearest to the trailhead for Medano Pass and Mt. Herard. Just slept in the back of my 4runner which was a wise choice since it dropped into the low 30's overnight.

Fall colors on the trail Saturday morning.

I had hiked this area almost a year ago and at that time this section of the trail was covered in snow.

Medano Lake - with out snow this time.

The trail up to Medano Lake is pretty well traveled so trail finding isn't an issue but once you start on the trail for summit of Mt. Herard it becomes faint in some areas and yo have to rely on the cairn's to find the trail. Hoping that someone didn't get bored and decided to make fake ones or change the ones already there.

Medano Lake from the trail up to Mt. Herard

The valley (not sure what the correctly geographically term would be) before you start heading the trail.

Once you reach the top there is one final marker marking the summit and a sign-in sheet for those whom visit, just no pin.

The 'Crestone Group' of 14'ers are the peaks in the background and depending on the route are one of the most difficults ones to summit according to 14'ers.com and summitpost.org. I've hiked a couple of 14'ers but I don't think I'd try this solo. Crestone peak 14,294'.

A view of 'Blanca Peak' @ 14325 ft and on the list of 14'ers I want to hike.

The 'Great Sand Dune National Park'. I've visited the park a couple of times in the past but seeing the park from here gives a new perspective as to the size of the dunes.

A close-up of the backroad into the park.

A quick photo of the area behind me.

Heading back down the trail to the trailhead and to start the drive back into the park.

A view of the fall colors from the road heading into the park.

Since I've visited the park a couple of times before I didn't bother to stop and the explore the dunes but just headed straight on out.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Made an attempt at summitting Mt Herard again but got blocked by snow near the lake and not having spikes I opted to turn back and driving back though Great Sand Dune National Park.

You can just make out the trail on the lower left of this photo.

Back into the park - all the water crossing had water flowing though them but nothing to worry about.

Mt Herard in the background.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles