Colorado - full locking dif vs. auto locking dif

Hello, looking for some help here. I am getting ready to buy a new Colorado and stuck between the zr2 and the z71. I know the zr2 is more off road ready, but I don't do a ton of off road stuff, maybe 10-20% of my driving is off road and mostly forest roads, gravel and some sand. How much of a difference is there is between an auto lock and a driver selectable full lock? here is what the Chevy website says:

z71:
Automatic locking rear differential
When the differential senses a significant difference in wheel speed, it locks to turn both rear wheels in unison for added traction
The Eaton® Locker senses a difference in wheel speed of approximately 100 rpm

zr2:
Driver-selectable full-locking rear differential
When activated, locks both rear wheels in unison
Increase traction in off-road situations

I can save several thousand $$$ getting the z71, plus I can get a longer bed with a crew cab, whereas the zr2 I can only get a 5ft bed, but I'd hate to find myself stuck all the time by not having a full locking rear diff. How necessary is it?

Any feedback is appreciated and thanks!

javajoe79

Fabricator
It sounds like you should be fine with the Z71. Perhaps it’s the exact same differential? Just automatically controlled in the Z71.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Bear, you seem to have no experience off road, so I would council going with automatic diffs that will do the thinking for you. Transparent is good. Looks like the z71 for you.

Bear, you seem to have no experience off road, so I would council going with automatic diffs that will do the thinking for you. Transparent is good. Looks like the z71 for you.
Definitely minimal when it comes to serious off roading and I don't see that changing a lot any time soon. I just want to be able to head off pavement and tackle the average forest roads, some mud now and then and the snow we get here in Michigan. Thanks for the advice!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Colorado Z71 locker is an Eaton G80. The ZR2 has Eaton ELockers.

They are both true lockers in every sense of the word, not traction control or the ABS working to control wheel spin. The difference is that a G80 is always locked or trying to be locked but will let you turn. The ELocker is an open differential normally and 100% locked when activated, there's no in-between. So can't use the locked position unless you're on a surface that allows it.

Off highway they both will work about the same and neither is a perfect compromise. The little bit of wheel slip you can get with a G80 might in theory make it slightly less useful in technical terrain but I've have Air Lockers (ARB equivalent to the ELocker), a Toyota electric locker and Aussie lockers (which is roughly like an G80) and you will never really lack for traction with either kind.

The main reason to get a ZR2 in this case would be they add a front locker and you get true 4 wheel drive with both lockers engaged. Think of a rear locker as giving you 80% more and the front locker getting you a full 100%. When I've had a front locker I might use it once or twice a year on a very difficult trail. It's not critical.

The advantage to the G80 in my mind is you never have to think about it, you're always getting about as much traction as you can. With a selectable you have to know when to engage it and disengage it.

Last edited:
The Colorado Z71 locker is an Eaton G80. The ZR2 has Eaton ELockers.

They are both true lockers in every sense of the word, not traction control or the ABS working to control wheel spin. The difference is that a G80 is always locked or trying to be locked but will let you turn. The ELocker is an open differential normally and 100% locked when activated, there's no in-between. So can't use the locked position unless you're on a surface that allows it.

Off highway they both will work about the same and neither is a perfect compromise. The little bit of wheel slip you can get with a G80 might in theory make it slightly less useful in technical terrain but I've have Air Lockers (ARB equivalent to the ELocker), a Toyota electric locker and Aussie lockers (which is roughly like an G80) and you will never really lack for traction with either kind.

The main reason to get a ZR2 in this case would be they add a front locker and you get true 4 wheel drive with both lockers engaged. Think of a rear locker as giving you 80% more and the front locker getting you a full 100%. When I've had a front locker I might use it once or twice a year on a very difficult trail. It's not critical.

The advantage to the G80 in my mind is you never have to think about it, you're always getting about as much traction as you can. With a selectable you have to know when to engage it and disengage it.
Super helpful reply. Thank you very much. My wife will be pleased at saving a few grand on the truck!

DaveInDenver

Super helpful reply. Thank you very much. My wife will be pleased at saving a few grand on the truck!
If you have an auto locker in the rear you may never find you need more but if you do adding a selectable front ELocker or Air Locker can always be done later if you want.

XJLI

Adventurer
The G80 in my Silverado works pretty great for what it is. If you stay close to the stock size tire and are a 'relaxed' off road driver and it'll serve you well.

MOguy

Explorer
If you are worried about getting stuck but want the longer bed it is probably easier to but a winch on the Z71 than a longer bed on the ZR2.

If you are worried about getting stuck but want the longer bed it is probably easier to but a winch on the Z71 than a longer bed on the ZR2.
From what I see on the Chevy site, each time I try and add a long bed to a crew cab zr2 it forces me to switch to a z71 so it does not appear a crew cab long bed zr2 is an option, just the extended cab.

I appreciate all the feedback and am definitely leaning toward a crew cab z71. Plus that gives me the chance to do some upgrades in a couple years to refresh the new feeling of the truck!

rkj__

Adventurer
The auto locker works very well in sand, mud, snow, ice, and other low traction surfaces you will come across off road. It can be a little awkward in rock crawling situations, as getting enough wheel spin to get it to lock can seem somewhat "against the rules" of off road driving. You just have to keep your foot on the throttle until it locks, and when it does lock, it is abrupt. However, it is definitely workable for the level of "rock crawling" that a stock height Z71 is capable of navigating.

I understand the short bed can be a bit of a deal-breaker on the ZR2 crew cab. I would not want a bed that short either. If you are ok with the extended cab though, you can get a 6ft bed on a ZR2.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Realizing that every vehicle and driver is a bit different; I can say that I will never again put an automatic locker (not a limited slip ; I mean automatic LOCKING differential i.e. Detroit locker or one of its cousins) in a vehicle that is going to see slippery conditions; lived with a rear Detroit locker for well over a decade and it tried to kill me in the slippery several times (besides having the habit of allowing the vehicle to go into something approaching free fall on vey steep, mogully, descents; where alternate tires are come clear of the ground... the approaches to the Eisenhower tunnel here in Colorado can be very entertaining with a rear automatic locker since the crown of the highway is enough in some conditions to make the rear differential go sideways in the slippery.
I suspect that most new vehicle will not come with an actual automatic locker but some thing that is digitally controlled or the (overly complex and somewhat fragile on occasion) traditional GM gov-lock.
Just because the label says lock/loc or lok does not mean that it is a true locker... mostly they are trying to fool people and are some form of limited slip differential, in my experience.
I am a fan of driver actuated lockers (ARB air lockers specifically) because once locked they stay (truly) locked until released; however relatively few drivers will go into terrain where a locker is actually needed; although they do cover a multitude of driving sins...
Most recently, I put a Torsen limited slip (gear driven limited slip; avoid anything with clutches , IMO, or any thing that requires special lube or additives) into the front of the daily driven Explorer and an ARB air locker into the rear (came from Australia by slow banana boat (mostly they are in stock but mine was not) ... it was worth the wait.

BTW a locker or two is not a guarantee against getting stuck (though it can help, even limited slips can help)... the driver must still pick and follow an achievable line... and have good accessories like high traction tires. (If you are getting lockers but planning on using all terrain tires you are not going for, nor going to get, maximum traction, IMO).

Enjoy!

rkj__

Adventurer
Realizing that every vehicle and driver is a bit different; I can say that I will never again put an automatic locker (not a limited slip ; I mean automatic LOCKING differential i.e. Detroit locker or one of its cousins) in a vehicle that is going to see slippery conditions; lived with a rear Detroit locker for well over a decade and it tried to kill me in the slippery several times (besides having the habit of allowing the vehicle to go into something approaching free fall on vey steep, mogully, descents; where alternate tires are come clear of the ground... the approaches to the Eisenhower tunnel here in Colorado can be very entertaining with a rear automatic locker since the crown of the highway is enough in some conditions to make the rear differential go sideways in the slippery.
I suspect that most new vehicle will not come with an actual automatic locker but some thing that is digitally controlled or the (overly complex and somewhat fragile on occasion) traditional GM gov-lock.
Just because the label says lock/loc or lok does not mean that it is a true locker... mostly they are trying to fool people and are some form of limited slip differential, in my experience.
I am a fan of driver actuated lockers (ARB air lockers specifically) because once locked they stay (truly) locked until released; however relatively few drivers will go into terrain where a locker is actually needed; although they do cover a multitude of driving sins...
Most recently, I put a Torsen limited slip (gear driven limited slip; avoid anything with clutches , IMO, or any thing that requires special lube or additives) into the front of the daily driven Explorer and an ARB air locker into the rear (came from Australia by slow banana boat (mostly they are in stock but mine was not) ... it was worth the wait.

BTW a locker or two is not a guarantee against getting stuck (though it can help, even limited slips can help)... the driver must still pick and follow an achievable line... and have good accessories like high traction tires. (If you are getting lockers but planning on using all terrain tires you are not going for, nor going to get, maximum traction, IMO).

Enjoy!

I had a 2008 GMC with the auto locker, and now a 2018 GMC with the auto locker.

I do understand what you mean about the automatic locking differential trying to kill in slippery conditions.

With an open differential, when one wheel loses traction, it spins, while the other stays planted, and maintains stability, though not contributing towards forward motion.

With an automatic locking differential, when one wheel looses traction, it spins, often increasing driveline speeds, as the load / friction is suddenly reduced. Then, the second wheel abruptly engages, and will often break traction as well, due to the high driveline speeds, and sudden engagement on a slippery surface.

The above description assumes that no traction or stability control systems are present, which was true on my 2008. Even then though, my locking differential never tried to kill me. The only time I ever spun that truck on the road, was after the original locker stopped locking, and I had it replaced with a TruTrac limited slip. The TruTrac engaged much differently (without delay), and I was still getting used to the difference when the spin occured.

Now, moving to my 2018. The truck does have stability control and traction control. These systems dramatically decrease the likelyhood of the automatic locking differential trying to kill you. When you loose traction, the traction control can cut power and/or applies brakes before the locker even engages. For off roading, you can turn off the traction control. You can also turn off the stability control, as long as your wheelspeed is below 35 mph.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Here's a vote for letting the driver decide when to have things happen. Auto-dimming mirrors (which have never worked as well as simply flipping a little tab on the mirror), auto headlights, auto wipers, auto locks, auto-everything. Instead of not-having-to-think about it, youd likely become a better driving by forcing the issue - force yourself to think about things like 'when should I use the locker'.

My $.02

DaveInDenver

Snow packed and icy roads are pretty much why I went from an Aussie to an Air Locker. I'll never forget the feeling the rear end just floating on the road ever so gracefully drifting sideways and then BOOM! tires find traction. Just glad time slowed down. Felt like all my parking lot playing around did help muscle memory and my brain seemed to really know what to do. If I hadn't steered into it I know I'd have rolled. The G80 behaves better on the pavement I believe than a lunchbox, so I don't think this scenario is completely applicable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online