Colorado Duramax thread

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Finally getting around to starting a thread on our 2016 Chevy Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax. We purchased it from our local dealer new. It is an LT longbed so has the 140" wheelbase and is pretty well loaded in addition to the goodies that come standard with the DMax (towing package, exhaust brake). It does have the G80 in the rear.

We were looking for a new rig to replace my wife's Subie Outback and that would serve as her daily driver and also a rig that could be a good platform for traveling and serving a multitude of other purposes. Initially we had a wide array of vehicles we considered but eliminated... a newer Outback but she has wanted a truck forever. Raptor/Power Wagon/other full size half tons but she wanted something that was easier to daily drive and park plus we have a 3/4 ton Suburban already which serves as our big tow rig, etc, plus the price of the Raptor and Power Wagon were more than we wanted to spend. Our dream travel/adventure rig would be a Sprinter 4wd crew but that wouldn't fit in our garage with the taller roof and it too is pretty spendy. The Sprinter lacks big towing capability too. So we narrowed it down to the mid size truck category.

We are a family of 4 with a 1 and 3 year old so we need a crew cab and rear seat space is pretty key. My wife has loved Tacoma's forever and I have been a long time Toyota guy. We have an 80 series that I have had for years that is a bit built up for offroad adventures and I have used for long term travel in the past. So the Tacoma was an obvious stand out. We were considering a 2017 TRD Offroad in the desert sand or whatever that color is called they had locally. The intriguing unknown newcomer was the Colorado Duramax which I had been hearing great things about. I have been one of the people saying they wanted a smart sized diesel powered rig here in the states for decades. The fact that Chevy brought this to market here was huge to me and I was curious to try it. We test drive it and instantly fell in love. Effortless torque provided great thrust and the refinement was impressive. Additionally the payload and towing capacities exceeded the Tacoma and we kind of wanted a truck that could do some work. We have a 23' camper that we use for family trips where we base camp and mountain bike. It's a great way to be mobile for periods of time with little kids and keep everyone happy and comfortable. The Suburban is the primary tow rig for the camper but the Colorado should be able to do so as well with no issue and likely much better economy.

So even though it's a bit more of an unknown compared to the Tacoma's reliability I think the build quality on this truck seems excellent and time will tell. My intent of this thread is to document our experiences with the truck since I could find virtually no first hand accounts in regards to how we use vehicles.

Outside of removing the chin spoiler it is bone stick at the moment as we get a feel for what the truck needs. We want to keep it flexible for everything from hauling firewood to bikes, to maybe a FWC down the road, etc etc. The aftermarket is nowhere near as developed as it is for the Tacoma but there seems to be some good stuff out there already.

So far we have only about 1,000 miles on the clock and one 350 mile excursion in it that yielded 32mpg on two lane roads despite a good portion of it being slushy snow covered road. Will keep this thread updated with thoughts, experiences goidvand bad and hopefully shed some useful first hand experiences. Here are some pics...

With the obnoxious chin spoiler.

The boys give it their stamp of approval

Chin spoiler off

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice truck but am I the only one who :rolleyes: at the thought of a "Compact" or "mid sized" truck with a wheelbase 10" longer than your 3/4 ton Suburban? ;)

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice truck but am I the only one who :rolleyes: at the thought of a "Compact" or "mid sized" truck with a wheelbase 10" longer than your 3/4 ton Suburban? ;)

For sure. I should state that we are never planning to use this for technical off-roading. That is a big breakover angle to overcome. If that was a priority the short bed would have been the ticket but it's essentially the same issue with how you equip a Tacoma too though they do come standard with more rubber and clearance. The short bed looked pretty useless to us, we wanted a pickup to use as a pickup. That means retaining the open bed though probably going to do a soft topper to keep gear dry when needed. In my view this could evolve into a great platform to travel in, get out into the backcountry, getting down unimproved roads but never being a "wheeling" rig or going on purpose made 4wd trails. We already have a vehicle for that stuff anyway. I think some version of the Icon lift available with some 32's or 33's would get me to anywhere I want or need to get to. I don't want to sacrifice towing, payload, or comfort/ease of use if I don't have to. I also don't want have anything that draws attention as this gets upgraded down the road. One surprising discovery so far is that the turning radius on this thing is much tighter than the Burb, despite the wheelbase. The wheelbase is also going to be a key component in the stability of towing a camper too I feel.

Stop copying me FJ>DMax Collie :p

PS you need to be on coloradofans.com we've got a lot going on there for you to catch up on :)

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Stop copying me FJ>DMax Collie :p

PS you need to be on coloradofans.com we've got a lot going on there for you to catch up on :)

I haven't signed up there yet but did a lot of searching when we were looking to buy. Will do so at some point soon for sure. How has your experience been so far with your truck?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
32 MPG, wow! Nice truck, looking forward to hearing more about it.

That was just the one trip but I was pretty impressed, especially having only had 300 miles on the clock at the time and running winter blend. I imagine as the motor breaks in and we start getting warmer weather that might be easier to attain again. I am really curious to see what it can turn pulling our camper.

I haven't signed up there yet but did a lot of searching when we were looking to buy. Will do so at some point soon for sure. How has your experience been so far with your truck?

Good. A little over 15k miles so far. Had the Alt pulley go bad, it's a fluid filled dampner design and the oil leaked and sprayed around the alt casing an nearby components. Mine was the 3rd reported case on coloradofans and there is apparently an updated model number from GM so me thinks they addressed the issue already. It didn't seem to cause any issues and was replaced without any hassle under warranty.
Was averaging about 25mpg in heavy commute/city stock. Took off the airdam and lifted, etc, etc and that fell to about 23 (still way better than the FJ's 17 in the same commute). I'm using the DuramaxTuner tune and that brought me back to about 25 mpg but increased regen intervals which already sucked due to my commute. Was averaging 200-250 miles between regens without the tune and that dropped a bit to 150-220 with the tune. How using less fuel (according to improved MPGs) resulted in more frequent regens, i'll never figure out.
Prolly going to delete it soon though so those regens will be a non-issue and mpg will likely increase again since I'm not wasting fuel burning out the DPF.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I think doing DPF delete is something I might consider. The only issue we have had with the truck is actually due to my wife's 2 mile commute to work. Right after we bought it I left town for work and the next day it went into a limp mode due to it wanting to regen and her driving such short distances. Apparently that's about the worse situation to use this truck for. Haven't had any issues since and she has been making sure to stretch its legs once a week or so. I have read that driving with a heavy foot clogs up the DPF quicker due to the sooty nature of a Diesel engine under load.

What lift and size tire do you run? How has it effected shift points and driveability? Curious with these 6 speed trannies if larger tires makes them behave oddly. We had stock gears and 33's on our FJC and it never really seemed to shift at appropriate points.

johanso

Adventurer
Really nice truck! Looking forward on following the progress. As a European the diesel Colorado is a really interesting alternative to Toyota, Nissan and Ford that dominate our market which basically only consists of compact and mid-size trucks.

In Sweden where I live about 50-60% of the vehicles are diesels and since 2004 they all have dpf:s. Personally I've had 4 dpf vehicles and kept them up to 100 000 miles with zero dpf problem. My experience is that the only vehicles that have dpf problems are the ones that are driven only short distances so that they don't heat up properly and the ones that idle a lot. The recommendation we get over here to clean out the dpf is to drive it hard once in a while and take it out on the highway and drive in slightly higher rpm than usual for 15-20 minutes.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Good. A little over 15k miles so far. Had the Alt pulley go bad, it's a fluid filled dampner design and the oil leaked and sprayed around the alt casing an nearby components. Mine was the 3rd reported case on coloradofans and there is apparently an updated model number from GM so me thinks they addressed the issue already. It didn't seem to cause any issues and was replaced without any hassle under warranty.
Was averaging about 25mpg in heavy commute/city stock. Took off the airdam and lifted, etc, etc and that fell to about 23 (still way better than the FJ's 17 in the same commute). I'm using the DuramaxTuner tune and that brought me back to about 25 mpg but increased regen intervals which already sucked due to my commute. Was averaging 200-250 miles between regens without the tune and that dropped a bit to 150-220 with the tune. How using less fuel (according to improved MPGs) resulted in more frequent regens, i'll never figure out.
Prolly going to delete it soon though so those regens will be a non-issue and mpg will likely increase again since I'm not wasting fuel burning out the DPF.

The clue needed, is what is the tuner doing to improve mileage. With that info the regens would make more sense. Going to half engine modes? Reduced power modes on alternating cylinders? Timing?

Or was the old tune retarding timing and using extra fuel? To create extra heat to clean the DPF. There's all kinds of goofy tricks, none of them really work well at anything other than tricking the EPA.

I think doing DPF delete is something I might consider. The only issue we have had with the truck is actually due to my wife's 2 mile commute to work. Right after we bought it I left town for work and the next day it went into a limp mode due to it wanting to regen and her driving such short distances. Apparently that's about the worse situation to use this truck for. Haven't had any issues since and she has been making sure to stretch its legs once a week or so. I have read that driving with a heavy foot clogs up the DPF quicker due to the sooty nature of a Diesel engine under load.

What lift and size tire do you run? How has it effected shift points and driveability? Curious with these 6 speed trannies if larger tires makes them behave oddly. We had stock gears and 33's on our FJC and it never really seemed to shift at appropriate points.
Running 32s 33s are a PITA to fit in the small wheel wells. About a 2" lift. Shift points were jacked afterwards IMO, some say they don't notice, I did. GM shifts based on TPS and MPH not a load calculation so since your overall diameter tire changed your MPH vs the Speedo is different and trying to drive for the corrected MPH in my head vs where the truck still though it should be shifting based on calculated rotations was no bueno for me.
details are here: http://coloradofans.com/forums/265-2nd-gen-colorado-canyon-builds/287761-lqdchkn-s-build-thread.html
The clue needed, is what is the tuner doing to improve mileage. With that info the regens would make more sense. Going to half engine modes? Reduced power modes on alternating cylinders? Timing?

Or was the old tune retarding timing and using extra fuel? To create extra heat to clean the DPF. There's all kinds of goofy tricks, none of them really work well at anything other than tricking the EPA.
Yeah no idea. It's the DuramaxTuner tune so I have to assume based on their experience they know what they are doing. Tunes are locked so not able to peak into it myself.

It's not going to matter as I'm prolly deleting this weekend:elkgrin:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Heat and being run at at a good rpm has always been good for diesels even the old beasts like a good hot run to get things warmed up and burned out.

I've heard a few Dodge cummings owners with light throttle use having issues with DPF and the crusty old dodge techs all tell them to send some time on the highway with a gear or two kicked down and higher rpms to heat up the exhaust system to help the system clean out. This seems to keep em happy.

Even modern gas cars start having emissions issues with lots of cold trips and idle time. The modern exhaust systems are highly dependant on running temps under load.
This is the big reason I cant get a modern Diesel today. My daily use is worst case and terrible for diesels. Or turbo gasers etc. Sadly the ideal rig for my daily stuff would be a plugin hybrid 99% of my typical stuff would be EV only. Which is great but I like diesel and trucks. Ha!
The diesel Canyon would be awesome road tripper especially with a tachoma habitat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94