Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think the fancy shocks and lockers make it far more interesting then the TAco. My last three trucks were Toyotas and to tell you the truth none of them were anything special regarding durability or longevity. My current 05 Sequoia is the first one that hasnt needed major rebuilds to correct wonky Toyota engineering. GMs stuff today is doing solid stuff.

There are very good reasons to own a midsized as are a full sized. In my area of 1.2 million $ 1940's 1600sqft Ranchers there is no parking wide enough around town or even at home for a full sized. Which also means most of those guys dont have big trailers either. Shoot the electricians are all driving Ford small transit vans because parking at jobs can be impossible for anything bigger than a Camry.

As for price. The way I see it a 6cylinder Subaru wagon will set you back just shy of 40k today. The midsized 4dr trucks with heavier capability and more costly running gear being 40k doesnt surprise me one bit.

haven

Expedition Leader
"In my area...there is no parking wide enough around town or even at home for a full sized."

Word. Houses built in the 1940s-1970s around here don't have garages large enough for a full size 2017 car. Midsize pickups have a fighting chance to fit in the driveway. Full size pickups park on the street, blocking two-way traffic. In Vegas or Phoenix, mostly built since 1990, it's a different story.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I really have no idea... And I haven't needed to do the fronts yet. Majority of my driving has been either highway or park (think Yellowstone) roads, with (I'm guessing) 18,000 being in 4wd. Some dirt travel but I tend to take it easy on brakes

Clutch

<---Pass
Traction control wouldn't affect brakes much, as it would only apply them when traction was problematic (ie. very rarely). On the other hand, hill start assist systems hold the rear brakes on hills, which will be much more common for most of us. That does tend to result in shorter life for rear brakes, but not short enough to worry about. Have loved that feature on my last few cars (and the Taco, too).

I have a dirt bike buddy with a newish Landy, he was saying something about his rears going quick[er] because of traction control, though he drives very aggressively.

Hill assist makes sense.

I really have no idea... And I haven't needed to do the fronts yet. Majority of my driving has been either highway or park (think Yellowstone) roads, with (I'm guessing) 18,000 being in 4wd. Some dirt travel but I tend to take it easy on brakes

Hmmm, wonder why they aren't lasting? Usually get rears to last 3 times longer the fronts.

Brakes at 115k? Umm that would be exceptional life regardless of traction control. Especially if its seeing any kind of loaded dirt treking

Seems quick to me. Rears on my Taco went 200K, have 350K on it now, still look great. I check the adjustment every time I rotate the tires, every 6000 miles. Might be a shoes vs. pads thing.

There are very good reasons to own a midsized as are a full sized. In my area of 1.2 million $ 1940's 1600sqft Ranchers there is no parking wide enough around town or even at home for a full sized. Which also means most of those guys dont have big trailers either. Shoot the electricians are all driving Ford small transit vans because parking at jobs can be impossible for anything bigger than a Camry.

As for price. The way I see it a 6cylinder Subaru wagon will set you back just shy of 40k today. The midsized 4dr trucks with heavier capability and more costly running gear being 40k doesnt surprise me one bit.

"In my area...there is no parking wide enough around town or even at home for a full sized."

Word. Houses built in the 1940s-1970s around here don't have garages large enough for a full size 2017 car. Midsize pickups have a fighting chance to fit in the driveway. Full size pickups park on the street, blocking two-way traffic. In Vegas or Phoenix, mostly built since 1990, it's a different story.

Good thing I live in Idaho! ;) Though we do live in a restored 1947 house with a small garage, can't even fit my 1st gen Tacoma in there...because it is full of antique printing presses. :D

Yeah, $40K for a Suby is just dumb (sorry it is :) )...especially when you can grab a F250 in the low 30's. That is what I am battling, love the Tacoma...and the Colorado is pretty darn cool too. Can get a F250 /350 that won't even flinch if you toss a popup camper on it. Could make the Tacoma/Colorado work, but you really have to watch the weight.

$40K grabs you a F250 and shell ATC camper.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/695848768/overview/?aff=dyrtsm&BAC=dyrtsm71515

https://www.allterraincampers.com/PricingAndOptions

Who cares about parking in the city! Last place I want to be, this forum is about adventure travel, right!? ;) :D

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
I have a dirt bike buddy with a newish Landy, he was saying something about his rears going quick[er] because of traction control, though he drives very aggressively.

Hill assist makes sense.

Hmmm, wonder why they aren't lasting? Usually get rears to last 3 times longer the fronts.

Seems quick to me. Rears on my Taco went 200K, have 350K on it now, still look great. I check the adjustment every time I rotate the tires, every 6000 miles. Might be a shoes vs. pads thing.

Good thing I live in Idaho! ;) Though we do live in a restored 1947 house with a small garage, can't even fit my 1st gen Tacoma in there...because it is full of antique printing presses. :D

Yeah, $40K for a Suby is just dumb (sorry it is :) )...especially when you can grab a F250 in the low 30's. That is what I am battling, love the Tacoma...and the Colorado is pretty darn cool too. Can get a F250 /350 that won't even flinch if you toss a popup camper on it. Could make the Tacoma/Colorado work, but you really have to watch the weight.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/695848768/overview/?aff=dyrtsm&BAC=dyrtsm71515

Who cares about parking in the city! Last place I want to be, this forum is about adventure travel, right!? ;) :D

Honestly, I think you'll be greatly disappointed if you go with a midsize truck like the Tacoma or Colorado. Full size definitely seems like the right size and you are correct in saying that you get a lot more for the price than you do with a Taco. The Taco is great for us folks who will tow once in a rare while, don't often need to shuttle around passengers, and value the smaller size. Otherwise the mediocre mpg, high price, relative lack of power/payload/towing capability make it the wrong choice for folks who need a truck to perform "truck" duties.

JLee

Adventurer

Seriously though..who cares? So maybe put a $29 set of brake pads on every 100k miles...that's laughably trivial in the big picture of vehicle ownership. If you want to go really crazy, spend another $50 and do new rotors too! Brake life is not even on the spectrum of things I care about when I'm vehicle shopping...

Clutch

<---Pass
Honestly, I think you'll be greatly disappointed if you go with a midsize truck like the Tacoma or Colorado. Full size definitely seems like the right size and you are correct in saying that you get a lot more for the price than you do with a Taco. The Taco is great for us folks who will tow once in a rare while, don't often need to shuttle around passengers, and value the smaller size. Otherwise the mediocre mpg, high price, relative lack of power/payload/towing capability make it the wrong choice for folks who need a truck to perform "truck" duties.

That is the other thing, it really isn't that much smaller, track width is 64" compared to a F250's 68", overall width is 75" to the Ford's 80". Access cab wheelbase of 127" to the Super Cab shortbed of 141". The super cab has about as much rear leg room as the Tacoma's Double cab.

Resale isn't too bad on the F250/350's either. About the same as Taco's, people want a premium for old clapped POS. :D

Seriously though..who cares? So maybe put a $29 set of brake pads on every 100k miles...that's laughably trivial in the big picture of vehicle ownership. If you want to go really crazy, spend another $50 and do new rotors too! Brake life is not even on the spectrum of things I care about when I'm vehicle shopping...

In the big scheme of things, oh no's it doesn't matter. It was simply an observation. :ylsmoke:

Good thing you brought up rotors, are they attached or floating, do you have to rip it all apart to replace them or is the wheel holding them on like the fronts on the Taco's. My old Toyotas and Fords you had to rip the whole hub apart to get the rotors off. Since you have to replace them every 100K, I rack up the miles really quick, be nice to know if the job is going to be fast or slow. :D

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Hill assist makes sense.

The 40k Subaru is why I wont be buying another one. Wifes Fusion plugin Titanium in 2016 was 35k its a better machine than the Subaru for the money. In a few yrs Fusion gets replaced with a Tesla, free charging at work.
My DD Subaru wagon in 3-4 yrs most likely gets replaced by a truck/suv. Probably used given around here moms only drive them till the color options change and buy another one.

Though I would prefer to have a midsized truck but if Im the primary kid hauler its a low probability, unless I go used small multi passenger like little Ford van for DD stuff then find a truck! We have 4 vehicles now so why stop there?

Clutch

<---Pass
The 40k Subaru is why I wont be buying another one. Wifes Fusion plugin Titanium in 2016 was 35k its a better machine than the Subaru for the money. In a few yrs Fusion gets replaced with a Tesla, free charging at work.
My DD Subaru wagon in 3-4 yrs most likely gets replaced by a truck/suv. Probably used given around here moms only drive them till the color options change and buy another one.

Though I would prefer to have a midsized truck but if Im the primary kid hauler its a low probability, unless I go used small multi passenger like little Ford van for DD stuff then find a truck! We have 4 vehicles now so why stop there?

If I drove a car, wouldn't pay much more than $20K [new] for one. Honda Civic 40 mpg, done. $35K for a car is too much to spend for me. Rather stick the $15K in the bank. Think the car would be worn out before you can get your money back, at $35K.

If I play my cards right, won't have to commute in 2 years. Looking at Tacomas for mostly commuter duty, not that it makes a good commuter anyway, with its' piss poor mpg. Really want a V6 stick shift, but have to spend at the bare minimum of $35K to get it in the Tacoma....$35K buys a hell of lot more truck elsewhere. Taco's get horrible mpg when loaded, if you're gonna get wretched fuel consumption, might as well buy something that can actually haul something, that and really won't have to worry about commuting here soon.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If I drove a car, wouldn't pay much more than $20K [new] for one. Honda Civic 40 mpg, done. $35K for a car is too much to spend for me. Rather stick the $15K in the bank. Think the car would be worn out before you can get your money back, at $35K.

If I play my cards right, won't have to commute in 2 years. Looking at Tacomas for mostly commuter duty, not that it makes a good commuter anyway, with its' piss poor mpg. Really want a V6 stick shift, but have to spend at the bare minimum of $35K to get it in the Tacoma....$35K buys a hell of lot more truck elsewhere. Taco's get horrible mpg when loaded, if you're gonna get wretched fuel consumption, might as well buy something that can actually haul something, that and really won't have to worry about commuting here soon.
Drive a few of the new manuals. After driving a couple with goofy gear spacing and the throttle nanny / emmissions tuning that dull throttle response I pretty much wrote off modern manuals. Maybe in a Porsche I could be happy with that. But a poorly done Manual is worse than a slush box.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I think the fancy shocks and lockers make it far more interesting then the TAco. My last three trucks were Toyotas and to tell you the truth none of them were anything special regarding durability or longevity. My current 05 Sequoia is the first one that hasnt needed major rebuilds to correct wonky Toyota engineering. GMs stuff today is doing solid stuff.

Not shore where you live but here in Southern California we have two off street parking spaces and at least a one car garage.

The only exception is down by the beach or up in the hills. But we rarely have a problem parking the work trucks.

The Bay Area can be interesting and tight.

I run mid size trucks because the paint lasts longer off-road.

If I want to do any real hauling the fords come out, they are a F800 (air locker equipped) and a FT900 (Mormon Herrington front axle and duel detroits in the rears)

What you really need is to buy several vehicles ranging from a full size heavy truck all the way down to a motorcycle.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As for commuter car we needed the HOV lane cheater sticker for the commute, Executive level interior for local investor visits and a quiet interior for work calls. That only left two options in 2016 a $105,000 Tesla or a $35,000 Fusion Energie Titanium. It has 50k on the clock and will be replaced in 4yrs with some where around 200k on the clock. So far its beena great car. No complaints. 750miles on a tank&#128077;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier