Colorado Camper Van Review (CCV)- Buyer Beware

another_mike

Adventurer
So this is the first I've heard anybody say this about fixed high tops. Are these real world experiences or just opinions/conjecture? Asking because I've been holding my money in my pocket for close to two years waiting for a warm fuzzy on a CCV or for another option to appear but since neither of those has happened I have recently started researching fixed high tops because I'm getting REALLY tired of being hunched over in the van and not being able to finish the interior. But as I tend to wander off into places I probably shouldn't in my van, do I now need to consider that a fixed top may actually break on me?

Personally with my top from 5280 fabrication (MSD on the sportsmobile forum) my top flexes quite a bit and i cant imagine it would have any issues dealing with any flexing from the body. I also dont drive my van like a jeep either.

And this reminded me where I saw about the flexing... 5280fab on instagram responded to "the_ridge_way" that the hi tops hold up well to normal offroad use but the way he offroads, that he would go with a low or mid top or a pop top cause of the float.

04D117DC-3881-47E2-9967-5C854BA2D21F.jpeg

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've got a fixed hightop,while I dont do any extreme offroading or much at all, when I do some (careless crap)... I haven't any issues with my roof.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Fixed tops are fiberglass. They sorta suck from the start so who cares. If it cracks it can be fixed.

One of my overland buddies has a fixed top. His entire rig is covered in raptor liner. He swears it dissipates stress and prevents cracks. I think I have a picture somewhere.

Jsweezy

Explorer
And this reminded me where I saw about the flexing... 5280fab on instagram responded to "the_ridge_way" that the hi tops hold up well to normal offroad use but the way he offroads, that he would go with a low or mid top or a pop top cause of the float.

View attachment 435643

Have you seen the way Ridge uses his van? Lets just say he makes it look like a Jeep with the stuff that he does. Its pretty cool.

another_mike

Adventurer
Have you seen the way Ridge uses his van? Lets just say he makes it look like a Jeep with the stuff that he does. Its pretty cool.

Yes, which is why I said for 90% of van users it wouldnt be an issue.

Cant say I offroad as hard as him, but I have had the van teetering on two wheels a dozen times in a single day in some of the switchbacks on passes in Colorado.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
A good set of polyurethane body mounts to replace the factory rubber body mounts will go a LONG WAY in the reduction of body flex in most any "body on frame" vehicle especially big ole "body on frame" vans.

Last edited:

swedishSTile

Observer
^^^ its just a thin piece of white foam. with mine, its completely dark up top when window shades are up.

things could have easily changed since 2013, but my canvas is gray both inside and out because he put the canvas back towards the foam both inside and out. my canvas is the exact color you see on the seam above looking at the outside and the inside. no where on my canvas does it look like the photo above.

That picture is strange. It is black out up there with the shades up. Not sure why it looks like so much light coming through.

As far as all the commentary on fixed tops: I wouldnt sweat a fixed top cracking under heavy off-road conditions. Ive seen some beat on rigs with no leaks reported by their owners. Also, fiberglass is cheap and easy to fix.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My old van has a Fiberine 24" top, with optional wood stringers and optional inner liner (full fiberglass inner tub).

After a few decades and a lot of rough roads - and more than a few "can't believe it made it" (it's a 2WD) - no cracks or leaks (except from worn out window gaskets).

I suspect it probably as stong as, if not stronger than, the factory roof.

No fear.

sakurama

Adventurer
I've done some wheeling in my van so far - nothing too stupid but with plenty of opportunity for body flex especially in Colorado when we did a few passes.

i-KRTSrVW-X2.jpg

My high top is still perfectly water tight and having opened up the back and seen the seal from the inside and the outside I'm not too worried. And I live in Portland - the land of perpetual winter rain. The sunroof in my pickup is leaking however so I'd put the top flexing and or cracking pretty far down on my list of priorities.

Yes, MG needs to get cracking on his top. There's a line forming for a well made pop top.

Gregor

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
My old van has a Fiberine 24" top, with optional wood stringers and optional inner liner (full fiberglass inner tub).

After a few decades and a lot of rough roads - and more than a few "can't believe it made it" (it's a 2WD) - no cracks or leaks (except from worn out window gaskets).

I suspect it probably as stong as, if not stronger than, the factory roof.

No fear.

Fiberine makes a great top, all we'll use. No issues from any we've installed.

Robgindc

Ill be honest that's exactly why I came up with the top I've built, some of their design made sense...some didn't...and their terrible history of customer service pushed me to do my own install....if I had the space I would do a few a year..partner with Ujoint and have 4x4 pop top vans available on the east coast....

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

You had me at East coast. Did you design/build your own pop top, and I stall it yourself? Have you posted pics? In the shallow end of researching the right vehicle & build for traveling with a limited mobility mom. Thanks & safe travels.

Robgindc

The good:
Awesome with the insulted canvass, even in the snow and low teens:
SJ7hXcIl.jpg

HUGE BED, burly hardware, great lights with wireless remote controll
3ooQS6al.jpg

Bed goes up quick. Paint match is perfect
hP45SYbl.jpg

xJeHlA6l.jpg

vrJvnxUl.jpg

Top is rock solid. Doesnt move a mm when pounding around offroad
W9lQPjFl.jpg

Good and bad, you can see some of the sloppy trim work (headliner cut too short near control panel). Overall good placement for easy access, the panel that sits in the opening is movable and removable.
mJ4CqHml.jpg

IzWnrlql.jpg

Wish this was straight but no big deal. Silver button can be moved anywhere and controls the lights up top. Large white switch is the hard switch and wireless reciever for the lights. Lights can be turned on or off and dimmed from either switch. Square rocker is for the roof mechanism, round is for the lights on the awning. Roof mechanism also has a remote control.
m5Pls35l.jpg

The bad:

Corners tearing because angle iron is too long
d0QBKOWl.jpg

Poorly sealed canvass
HM3vagil.jpg

6iVkwyIl.jpg

TNJByz5l.jpg

tmz0ui6l.jpg

3 screws but none of them held. Canvass pulling at top
FdPbIPBl.jpg

Poorly sealed hole that leaked. Rusted metal shavings
svx45v2l.jpg

Stained headliner
kk8avOal.jpg

awning bracket and awning that wont close. Rattles while driving and echoes down the B Pillar
aIDiGrcl.jpg

c0rVThsl.jpg
Such a cool build!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
You had me at East coast. Did you design/build your own pop top, and I stall it yourself? Have you posted pics? In the shallow end of researching the right vehicle & build for traveling with a limited mobility mom. Thanks & safe travels.

Yolanda build is here in the van section

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne