Collectors edition fj80

REDROVER

Explorer
Hello lady's and gentleman . Few hours ago I became a fortunate owner of 1997 collectors edition fj80 ;) I am already in love with this car. Unfortunately it was already very dark outside to take pictures of her and post up here

I was into land rovers till I sold my last 2 classic range rovers and now I am in toyota wold.

I don't know much about fj80s but I hope to learn as much as possible from many knowledgeable guys in here

First question TIRES. Cruiser is all stock what's the max size tire I can get that will look good and perform fine off road ,

Or if I go with 2 inch emu lift what's size tires should I use that will not require re gearing

Truck won't be used as daily driver it will be used mainly on dirt roads and expeditions no hard core off road

Thank u all for the help

Eric

Sempertoy

Explorer
You have an fzj80.

I think you can squeeze 315's in there with no lift. They will be perfect if you do a 2" OME lift. Check out ih8mud for everything cruiser related (site is down for some refreshing at the moment)

Welcome to toyota world. You are going to love it here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Corbet

Observer
Both your questions get asked over at IH8MUD all the time. IMO the answer is the same for both 295/75r16 is the largest tire you can put on it stock and not experience lots of rubbing. I wheeled mine in that configuration for a long time before a lift.

The 2" lift from OME is designed around a 33" tire or 285/75r16. If you go larger, as with stock, you will have rubbing of the wheel wells and flares. 295's are tolerable. 315's get pretty bad even with the lift. I added 30mm spacers when I went to 315's. A 4" spring would be ideal, my next step.

To run a 315 without rubbing you need to drop the bumpstops about 1-1.5". A re-gear is also needed IMO. I went to 4.88's as I live in the mountains.

Of course all this will depend on how heavy your truck is, where you wheel, and driving style. Someone will always chime in "I ran 315's with no lift". Well yes you can but its going to rub and its going to be uber slow with the 4.11's.

295's don't offer many options in tire choice. 285's & 315's are available in most anything. 37's will fit with very minor trimming.

ab1985

Explorer
I ran 315's on the stock suspension for a several weeks until just recently. I would not recommend for a rig that's ever going to leave the pavement.

Welcome to the Cruiser community :D

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I used in the past 285's and currently I am running 295's for the last six years, I am planning tp gp back tp Allterrain 285's again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94