Collection of Trailer Builds

andytruck

Observer
I'm amazed at how over-built some of these custom trailers are. Some could roll down the entire mountain and not be harmed. On the other side, I have seen 40 year old campers so poorly built I would not think they could roll out of the showroom door and not break. It is surprising how some flimsy wall paneling and 1x1 sticks glued to aluminum siding can be so durable. There must be a compromise where your off-road trailer will take the abuse without having to be build like a Sherman tank.
Anyone build a burly trailer using minimal structure and still be strong enough?

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I'm amazed at how over-built some of these custom trailers are. Some could roll down the entire mountain and not be harmed. On the other side, I have seen 40 year old campers so poorly built I would not think they could roll out of the showroom door and not break. It is surprising how some flimsy wall paneling and 1x1 sticks glued to aluminum siding can be so durable. There must be a compromise where your off-road trailer will take the abuse without having to be build like a Sherman tank.
Anyone build a burly trailer using minimal structure and still be strong enough?
I think it depends on what you expect to happen. My TD is 3/4 plywood walls, 1x3 roof struts covered by1/8 luan. The chassis is 3500 lb axle, with a 3 inch square tongue, and a base of 2 inch angle iron. The cabin more or less rides on the trailer, rather than being "part" on the trailer. It was just fine on the Mojave road, and its been down a few other jeep trails. Its on small tires (13" rims). If you expect to roll the trailer, then the metal frame work makes sense. But you can haul much less weight with a different plan and still be fine. I would just build in good jacking and pulling points, and make it easy to repair the lower body if so etching does happen.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

boxcar1

boxcar1

A few years back I built a light weight off road trailer using a pre existing blow molded TD that was manufactured back in the late 70's as a base for the build.
The camper shell or pod itself weighed less than 200lbs . It was ABS plastic .
I surrounded it with an exo cage then added a roof basket and various fold out enclosures , a sliding rear rack system and even made an attachment to carry an ATV.
It was quite the attention getter. The damn thing even floated when doing water crossings.
It ended up at 800lbs wet, when completed. ( minus the ATV.)
The problem was that duplicating it would have been rough. Teardrop American ( the manufacturer of the pod ) had only maid a scant few of the pods before folding.

!cid__0420101657a (Small) (Small) (Small).jpg
phone pics p 009 (Small).jpg
x-pod 007 (Small).jpg
x-pod 003 (Small).jpg

It went to a young family in Canada. Haven't seen hide nor hare of it since.

Last edited:

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Does anyone know of a build thread for this trailer?

This was in the Overland Expo West: Day 3 gallery.

image225.jpeg

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv

Thanks JScherb! Looks like they've continued to evolve its use too. The use of aluminum truck boxes is what caught my attention and then realized they had the forward tray and offset RTT rack, and wanted more details. I won't copy this exact setup, but it's definitely closest to my thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior