Collapsible Shower Pan

pluton

Adventurer
I applaud your notion to not dump soap-contaminated water onto the ground in a nice, natural place, but if you are planning to stand in that polypropylene tray, don't expect it to last past one, or maybe a few uses. I'd look for a heavier-duty polyethylene tray, like a cement mixing tray.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I'd look for a heavier-duty polyethylene tray, like a cement mixing tray.

I have used the cement mixing trays in the past. They work well and are cheap (and easy replaceable). Look at the contractors end of Home Depot. They also make great parts bins for stripping axles, gearboxes, engines etc.

ITTOG

I applaud your notion to not dump soap-contaminated water onto the ground in a nice, natural place, but if you are planning to stand in that polypropylene tray, don't expect it to last past one, or maybe a few uses. I'd look for a heavier-duty polyethylene tray, like a cement mixing tray.

Given the title of the post is collapsible shower pan he is not talking about the bin. The material in the collapsible set up is the same material that is used in home construction under showers. It will never break, it may tear after a ton of uses.

I am curious what the concern with soap getting on the ground is? If there really is an issue there are natural soaps that will resolve that concern.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Many surfactants/detergents (naturally derived or not) are not readily biodegradable. They will wash into water systems and can (in sufficient quantities) upset the local microbe/algae balance. Thankfully most phosphates have been removed from detergents for a few decades now.

In areas that have high human traffic, I try to contain and dispose of the grey water in a responsible way. In remote areas with little human impact, I spread the water out on some deserving flora. If storing the water is not an option, I use a biodegradable soap. These will only break down in the soil, so I dig a cat hole, and pour the water in, then bury. This keeps it in the soil to break down, instead of washing into the local watershed. In delicate alpine areas this can be the best approach.

In my van I have been using a plastic hot water heater drain pan. https://amzn.to/2NjLPat They are available in various sizes, and are very durable. I just strap it to the side of a cabinet, and pack stuff around it.

The collapsible unit is in an interesting idea. I think that a mortar mixing tray would be roughly the right size. While not collapsible, it can do double duty as a storage container. Or get two of them, and just nest it inside an already filled one for ease of usage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94